PDA

View Full Version : Have you a modified Exhaust?

Ciaran
20-05-2004, 09:23 PM
I know a number of people have modified exhausts(on there cars!! :roll: ), and there seem to be lots of choices available, would anyone like to comment, good, bad, or otherwise on what they have fitted, and if they could do it again, would they do it differently??

As you can guess, I want a new one (I never did like the oval tips :cry: )

Ciaran

trackdemon
21-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Haha! A subject very dear to my heart :P

I recently had an exhaust fitted to my car which I imported from the states (preferential exchange rates :D ). I was a little worried incase I was disappointed but I have to say it really is the best money I could have spent.
Lovely baritone rumble at low revs, clears and smooths out between 2500-4000rpm and takes on an angry rasping tone around 5500rpm. Just gives the car that bit of extra presence I wanted. Fine for cruising too, as it smooths out and at low throttle settings (cruising 75-85mph) you can barely hear it over the normal wind noise etc.
It also happens to look the absolute business with 2 fat stainless steel pipes sticking out where the apologetic little standard oval ones used to be. Recommended.

modarr
21-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Sounds cool,

How much?

Does it weigh less than standard?

Any bhp increase?

Do you run cats?

I'm up for a Zorst but might wait for Kevin to 'cook' up a custom design :lol:

trackdemon
22-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Sounds cool,

How much?

Does it weigh less than standard?

Any bhp increase?

Do you run cats?

I'm up for a Zorst but might wait for Kevin to 'cook' up a custom design :lol:

I have a system to 91-94 model cars sitting in my garage. Yours for £500. I can get them for around £800 at the moment once import duty etc has been paid.

Apparently 40lbs lighter than standard - I didn't change the system myself so I can't vouch for the accuracy of that :!:

Allegedly 10-15bhp increase. I haven't had a before and after rolling road session to prove this but have copies of readout from the manufacturer to back this up. Practical experience tells me that it feels like there's a little more top end power, but the real gain is mid range torque, it now feels really strong from 3k rpm onwards.

I'm still running cats. I went for a medium level system as my priorities were:

Improved sound
Improved appearance
Improved power
Long distance useablility
Trackability

Of the 4 systems, I went for the level 2 system. System 4 sounded a bit too extreme for me! They do supply cat replacement pipes as well if thats on the wanted list.

Ciaran
22-05-2004, 08:52 PM
[quote="trackdemon"]

"I'm still running cats. I went for a medium level system as my priorities were:

Improved sound
Improved appearance
Improved power
Long distance useablility
Trackability"

Sounds exactly what I am looking for :) . I want all the nice extra bits, but I don't want a migrane after a 100 mile run, so some compromise must be entertained.

Who is the manufacturer / supplier :?: , as they may need a call :!:

Ciaran

trackdemon
24-05-2004, 09:23 AM
What year is your car Ciaran? As mentioned I have one in my garage which I could sell at a discount. Reason?

They sent me the wrong one originally - and with the cost of shipping back to the states they wont make much out of it if they sell over there. Essentially I can sell for the unit cost rather than the unit+shipping+tax price.

I got a decent pic of the unit on my car over the weekend, I'll post that when I get them back & scanned etc....

ctrlaltdelboy
24-05-2004, 08:09 PM
see my comments in this thread (http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56) - you can fit an exhaust designed for ANY NSX model year into any other provided you change the whole system as the only differences are where the individual bits connect to each other - a whole system end to end will fit in any NSX

trackdemon
25-05-2004, 08:50 AM
But that of course starts to get pretty expensive. If (as most seem to) you just want to go down the simple / cost effective route of ditching the factory muffler (strangler!!?) then you will have to get the appropriate fit for your model year. Changing headers / cats / downpipes etc is a costly business!

ctrlaltdelboy
25-05-2004, 09:50 AM
surely the biggest strangler is the exhaust manifolds - have you seen them?

trackdemon
25-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Funny you say that, I'd heard on NSX prime that the factory manifolds were nigh perfect for a production car - only super expensive bespoke stainless tubing would improve matters. Is this really the case I wonder?

Kevin
25-05-2004, 05:13 PM
On the 3.2 the manifolds changed. On the 3.0 the manifold is a cast iron piece that practically joins all the pipes as soon as they exit the engine. More of a collector than manifold.

Ciaran
25-05-2004, 08:27 PM
eeer a total system replacement sounds like its expensive :?:

Mine is a 95 model, however it has the three bolt flange where the muffler attaches. I understand that the later model have a two bolt flange and that is the only difference??

Is there any handy cost effective solution :?: :?:

Ciaran

ctrlaltdelboy
25-05-2004, 09:10 PM
you should be able to get a set of headers for around $1000 (maybe less), trackdemon has an exhaust for £500 - all you need is some decats and you're sorted.

by the way - I have some high flow cats (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1113) for the 91-94 configuration if anyone wants them - £150 (used, about 5000 miles, one year- I'm now de-catted :twisted: )

trackdemon
25-05-2004, 10:18 PM
AHA! I can get the cat replacements fabricated by the same company who supplied the exhaust.

I'm not sure the 3 bolt flange can be made to fit the earlier 2 bolt as I think there are subtle differences in the actually routing of the pipework. Shame :roll:

Ciaran
26-05-2004, 09:36 PM
That's a bummer :( , I had wondered if Cat replacement pipes might have been the answer, rather than full header replacement. I might just keep looking 8)

david_f
10-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Haha! A subject very dear to my heart :P

I recently had an exhaust fitted to my car which I imported from the states (preferential exchange rates :D ). I was a little worried incase I was disappointed but I have to say it really is the best money I could have spent.
Lovely baritone rumble at low revs, clears and smooths out between 2500-4000rpm and takes on an angry rasping tone around 5500rpm. Just gives the car that bit of extra presence I wanted. Fine for cruising too, as it smooths out and at low throttle settings (cruising 75-85mph) you can barely hear it over the normal wind noise etc.
It also happens to look the absolute business with 2 fat stainless steel pipes sticking out where the apologetic little standard oval ones used to be. Recommended.

Your exhaust sounds (excuse the pun) exactly what I'm after too. Mine’s a late 2000, 3.2 model. Could you confirm the supplier please? Thanks, David.

Rob_Fenn
18-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Wimp..

trackdemon
18-08-2004, 02:59 PM
:?: :?: Que?

Rob_Fenn
18-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Sorry, David_f is my dad. I want him to get an ear splitting exhaust and he's not having any of it :( He is actually driving up to Bradford this very moment to get his exhaust fitted.

-Rob