PDA

View Full Version : Rear Drive Shaft boots/ CV joints

mutley
12-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Hi All,

Can any one tell me what is the right/best grease to use at the rear driveshaft boots/CV joints and is there a "correct" amount to put in there?

Cheers

Jim

NSXGB
12-09-2014, 08:45 AM
From the manual - Inboard: 120-130g, Outboard: 170-180g.

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/acura-nsx-service_manual_91/7_transax_5_driveshaft.pdf

Not sure what the exact spec of the Honda custard is but you should be able to buy all sorts of CV joint grease from your local motor factor.

mutley
12-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Thanks for that, I didn't think there would be any specific stuff for a CV joint, it was more the quantities I needed, so that info is spot on.

Cheers

Jim

Kaz-kzukNA1
12-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Additional info for you but if you are letting the Honda garage to do the service for you, they should already know the followings;

If you are going to use the OEM boot kit 42017-SL0-000, everything you need such as the boot, boot band, spindle nut, circlip, grease, etc are all included except the boot band tool.
The boot band included in the kit is different from the one came from the factroy and you must use double loop method with specific orientation which is not described in the Workshop manual.
There was a TSB released from Honda for this.

Some example from my blog;
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811&blogcategoryid=37

Kaz

NSXGB
12-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Where are you based at the moment Jim? I have a band tool you can borrow if you like (I'm down near Gatwick)....I also have 4 x new Honda CV boot kits too if you need them!

mutley
12-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Kaz - Thanks for the info, it would probably be best for me to buy the kits and replace both sides while I'm at it (I'm guessing the part number is the same for both sides?) I only got Honda to do the engine service, as I'll do the other areas myself.
My main plan was to get the water pump changed, as you pointed out on the health check that it was the original one, so now that the car is serviced and road legal again, I can concentrate on the little things.

NSXGB - I'm currently based near Aylesbury.

Cheers

Jim

NSXGB
12-09-2014, 11:59 AM
The part number is the same for both sides, inboard and outboard too - you will only need the hub nut for the two outboard joints therefore will have two spare when you are finished.

£102 each from HUK!

Kaz-kzukNA1
12-09-2014, 02:28 PM
For the left side drive shaft, you may have another option depending on the spec and usage of your NSX.

If you mainly drive on the street and if you have the MT model, you could try the aftermarket drive shaft for the Left side only.
It's cheap and saves your time going through all the sticky grease cleaning process.
It's from the Surtrack and can be purchased through RockAuto, etc.

Several NSX owners are using it in US and I also installed it for another owner in UK.
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?1179-Drive-shaft-02

It could be fine for the occasional track sessions but so far, not enough test data for it.
Please note that it's for the MT Left side only and not suitable for the AT model as the shaft length is different. I haven't managed to find the aftermarket one for the right side yet.

I haven't opened the aftermarket one yet but from it's movement, I can easily tell that the internal structure is not the same as the OEM one that uses slider roller mechanism.
Instead, the Surtrack one looked to be using the popular ball bearing joint style (nothing wrong with it).

You can refurbish your existing left side OEM deiveshaft while running this aftermarket one and at the next drivesahft service, just swap it.

You may want to order the oil seal at the gbox where the left inboard joint is inserted to.
If this is the first time pulling out the Left drive shaft on NSX, it's so easy to damage this seal. 91207-PR8-005.
You can see the photo in the above link.

Kaz

UnhuZ
12-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Hi,

The boot band included in the kit is different from the one came from the factroy and you must use double loop method with specific orientation which is not described in the Workshop manual.
There was a TSB released from Honda for this.

Some example from my blog;
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811&blogcategoryid=37

I looked on your blog, and didn't find the exact way to use the new bands...
My shafts are as they came from factory, and i will service them shortly.
I already have 4 OEM boot kits that came with everything.

Several NSX owners are using it in US and I also installed it for another owner in UK.
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?1179-Drive-shaft-02

Do you have a link to where i can buy it, or see prices?

Thanks,
Nuno

NSXGB
12-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Hi,

I looked on your blog, and didn't find the exact way to use the new bands...
My shafts are as they came from factory, and i will service them shortly.
I already have 4 OEM boot kits that came with everything.

Do you have a link to where i can buy it, or see prices?

Thanks,
Nuno

UnhuZ

The new bands are simply passed round the driveshaft boot twice before securing.

The Suretrack driveshaft is available to buy from Rockauto.com in the USA.

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi, Nuno.

Pretty much the post from NSXGB above sums up the answer to your question.

I'll email you the TSB as I'm having problem uploading the pdf file and to prevent IP issue.

In US, there are several shops listing the same driveshaft from Surtrack so the owners have several options.
For us, it's probably easier to use RockAuto.
The Sutrack Left drive shaft for MT model is currently listed at GBP36.27 and you have the option of about GBP44 - 56 for the delivery and then the Customs charge (you may be able to pre-pay the import tax/duty at the check out) so about GBP100 delivered, if my calculation is correct.

Kaz

mutley
15-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Thanks Kaz,

the noise doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as it was, but I may as well do the service and change the boots as they are probably overdue anyway. I'm not sure what condition my driveshafts are in.

Cheers

Jim