PDA

View Full Version : NSX views from a MCL F1 Owner on PH's.

TheQuietOne
27-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi Guys, I have been following the topic on Piston Heads (http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?p=48&f=23&t=226933&h=0) which is a question and answer session by 'Flemke' an owner of a F1 which he is modifying to his own standards and lives at the ring most of the time. He made mention a couple of times about his love for Honda engine's and their handling (as linked on here before) so I thought I'd ask what his opinions are of the NSX in general. I thought you'd all like to read this as it is very interesting - and gets better towards the end fro us owners. It has caused a slight NSX shift in the F1 thread too which is a bit of fun :wink: In a later post he mentions that he considered importing a Type-R himself but was warned off it by Honda UK, and that he had a good look at the one at Chiswick over Christmas but described it as 'very tired'.

Matt,

First, welcome to PH.

Second, as regards the NSX:
I don't know much about cars; I'm just another guy who enjoys driving whilst lacking any special insight into what's going on as I do so.
In the last few months I've driven a recent-model NSX maybe 2,000 kms, including a number of laps of the 'ring.
The NSX chassis is very poised, and is the best thing about the car. From my position of ignorance I would say that its handling all-round is as good as that of any car I have driven.
You always know where you are with the car. It follows instructions nicely and allows you to control it. Its transitions are gradual and predictable. I've done a lot of laps of the'ring, and at Schwedenkreuz, which is perhaps the circuit's trickiest high-speed bend, I came closer to the car's limits whilst retaining control over it (or at least it seemed!) than I've done in any other car.
I would say that the NSX's primary ride for some people is too harsh, although the secondary ride seems fine.

It could do with a quicker steering rack. (The F1's rack is about equally slow, although that can be justified, I suppose, because the F1 lacks PAS and needs enhanced stability in light of its high max speed. These things do not apply to the NSX, so I don't know why its rack isn't quicker.)
Because of the PAS, you don't get the most surface feedback from the steering, but for an assisted car it's not bad. At the same time, the weighting is nice and the quality of rotational feedback I found to be quite good.

The NSX's brakes aren't the best - they began to fade on my first lap at the 'ring - but they're okay for a road car. They are over-servo'ed, however.

As you say, the engine has a lot of character. It produces something like 85 bhp/litre, whereas current high-performance engines easily generate more than 100/litre. It's not a problem in the upper 2000 rpms, where it's lovely - again, for a road car. It must be said, however, that the NSX really would benefit from more low-to-mid-range torque.
As you say, the engine note is musical. It's entirely different from the F1's but perhaps equally appealing.

The gearbox and shift action is superb - as good as any out there. Unfortunately the clutch pedal bite point is too high, and the bite itself is surprisingly vague (in my experience, that is).

People will have their opinions on the aesthetics; I find them appealingly quirky and in many cases handsome. There are some really nice details such as the external door handles and the interior door handles and leather-trimmed spaces behind them.
One frequently hears the objection that the NSX interior is dated. What an inane comment. Monet's Waterlilies series is dated too - but it's good enough for me!

The interior functions well - excelllent visibility in all directions except rear quarter. The ergonomics of the steering wheel and gearshift are quite good. The instruments are all legible, although one regrets the lack of an external temperature indication.

I think you could make the argument that the NSX is the most satisfying all-round sports car. If you combined the best of it and the best of the McLaren, you would have an incredible machine.

Cheers.

UltraViolet
27-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Shame he didn't get to drive a non PAS car too.......

TheQuietOne
27-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Shame he didn't get to drive a non PAS car too.......

I did think about posting that but though against it - don't want to get accused of a hi-jack! Still interesting thoughts on it though.

Papalazarou
27-04-2006, 10:20 AM
What's a 'secondary ride' please?

James.

DamianW
27-04-2006, 11:13 AM
What's a 'secondary ride' please?

Ability to smooth out small imperfections I think. As opposed to primary which is the ability to deal with pot-holes etc.

I think the NSXs ride is pretty remarkable to be honest. One of the best things about the car.

TheQuietOne
27-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks I did too.

I agree, maybe you should offer to swap a drive in yours for a drive in his F1 or maybe his CGT so he can share the total NSX experience?

Still as he says arguably we all have the perfect sportscar anyway :wink:

Matt.

Kevin
27-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Maybe someone needs to tell the Supra forums, that their car is better than a NSX and a F1 now :wink:

TheQuietOne
28-04-2006, 09:48 AM
If not I'm sorry to have mislead people...I'm sure you put that once before though Nick?!?!?

I hope so now it is imortalised - :cry:

markc
10-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Just bumped in to this chap (Flemke) with his Macca F1 while filling my NSX with Optimax in Egham. 8)

The car was at the pump sans owner when I pulled in, he was paying for his fill up. I mossied over for a closer look at the beast and as he came out he started to check out my car. :oops:

We chatted and he asked me some questions and gave some answers (just modded the suspension) that made me suspect he was the guy from the Pistonheads thread, which he confirmed when asked.

He wanted to sit in mine to compare the driving position offered by the Type-S/R seats with the standard car he's been using lately. Only fair that I had a little sit in the Macca, one of the passenger seats only but now I can say I've sat in a Macca F1. 8) He said he'd now bought an NSX.

We said goodbye and I waited while he fired up the F1 :D and drove off fairly gently... but what a noise. :shock:

Made my day/week/year etc

Mark

TheQuietOne
10-05-2006, 02:55 PM
WOW - WOW - WOW - you lucky person....

He obviously took my advice then and added one to his collection (yeah right), maybe he will pop along to this forum now - did you give it a plug or were you too in awe of the beast?!?!?!!

What does the blue look like in person of the F1 by the way?

I'm so jealous now :cry:

markc
10-05-2006, 03:48 PM
The Blue wouldn't be my choice and does make it look relatively inconspicuous if that's even slightly possible with an F1! However it still looked fab to my eyes. 8)

I did mention our club as where I learned of the Pistonheads thread, courtesy of your goodself, but he may not of been able to understand me through the drool. :)

He must get stopped and questioned wherever he goes in that car but dealt with me and a couple of opportunist snappers very courteously and seemed to be a throughly nice chap and a proper petrolhead. :D

Mark

Nick Graves
16-05-2006, 09:30 AM
The comment about the interior had me rolling!

gunner
02-06-2006, 08:00 PM
what a great thread this is.really gets to the heart of the NSX and praise indeed from an owner of some very nice cars.We need to get him posting on here I reckon....!