PDA

View Full Version : Spare wheel & tyre refurb, New Owner.

ianhb
27-08-2014, 10:39 PM
The spare wheel on my "new" 1994 NSX was looking tatty, and the tyre had cracks in it. The original Bridgestone tyre circa 1990 did blow up ok but gradually lost pressure.
I searched ebay and purchased an unused 2007 Vredestein folding tyre and wheel ex Mercedes for £55 delivered.
My local fitter removed the Bridgestone easily, plenty of room in the wheel well. I got Letchworth diamond wheels (1/2 mile from Norton Way Honda) to powder coat the old wheel, £50.
Getting the mercedes tyre off the rim was more difficult as the wheel well was much smaller, so he took the tyre bead off one at a time from the front(so to speak)
Refitting on to the Honda wheel went easily (lots of fairy liquid) and it blows up fine, holds pressure, and fits easily in the space underbonnet.
Somewhere I read that Honda wants £1000 for a new spare, if available.
I may try to see if a Boxster wheel cover fits, to keep all light and fumes from the rubber. Whatever, it should last at least another 10 years.
(As a matter of interest, the Merc wheel weighed 4.2Kg, the Honda one a very heavy 8Kg, maybe Honda wanted more weight up front?The Merc wheel will not fit the Honda, wrong offset & bolt spacing)
Ian

britlude
28-08-2014, 04:02 PM
congrats, the hardest bit is finding a tyre fitter willing to give it a go!

Silver Surfer
28-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Previous Threads for the same solution:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9109-spare-tyre

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8801-New-Boots-and-Panties-Space-Saver-Wheel-amp-Tyre

SS

mjames75
28-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Treat the spare tyre rubber with aerospace 303 once every couple of months and it will never crack or fade

ianhb
28-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Hi,
Sorry about missing previous posts, my search request did not pick them up.
Thank you very much for the tip about aerospace 303. I will try some, and it looks good for plastics as well - (even hot tubs in the reviews. Must get one!)
Tyre fitter was Neil at Redhouse Tyres in Ware. he had not dealt with one before, but was eager to try.