PDA

View Full Version : Finally, at long last.... I'm taking the plunge

NZNick
15-08-2014, 02:28 AM
:)After 6 years plus of looking, procrastinating, chuffing and dithering, I am actually going to be buying an NSX - a late 1999 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue.

Pics to follow.

My question - what spares should I buy now to keep on hand for emergencies? A main relay perhaps?
Anything else I should get from Japan to be put in the glove box?

NZNick

NSXGB
15-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Crikey Nick, no longer a lurker....

After being here for 6 years I' disappointed that you don't know what spares to get!
Cambelt done? If not, probably best to get all the bits ready.
Hoses? Set of hoses could be worth refreshing.
Main relay, yes.
Cam cover gaskets, always worth having - damn expensive from main dealer.
Brake seals, as above.

Hope it's worth the wait!

NZNick
15-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks.

I have been told that the servicing is up to date with Honda Japan service schedules, and that the clutch is fine, the brakes overhauled recently and that the hoses have been inspected. I have planned to have the timing belt, water pump and pulley replaced next year (I won't be able to use the car until next year as I have to get a SIV permit before it can be road-registered - there is a quota system for each calendar year, only 200 Special Interest Vehicles per year - 2014's ran out in July apparently).

My local Honda dealer has looked after one or 2 NSX in the past, so feeling a little bit of support, but without a Kaz......

goldtop
15-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Waiting until next year to register it! Blimey. 10 out to 10 for patience and determination! Glad you found one that makes the wait worthwhile. :)

nobby
15-08-2014, 10:16 AM
thats great news and a type s to boot.
Yeah you have been on here awhile and with all your photos posts as well.
Fab news ... at least you are now on the countdown to ownership and with a unique car to boot!

NSX 2000
15-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Can we (or I) ask how much this is costing. I Do understand if you don't want it out in the public domain. The bit I'm most currious about is what they had it up for, and what you paid for it.

If you watch the US car shows on TV such as Gas Monkey, they seem to advertise the cars for X but end upselling them 20 to 50% less. (Not sure if this is just for the camera???????).

AR
15-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Well done, you been looking and posting ads of tasty NSXs for ages.

Sudesh
15-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Congrats Nick! Look forward to seeing the pics.

NZNick
16-08-2014, 11:11 PM
I haven't paid yet, but we have agreed a price that is less than the asking price - that's all I am going to say.

It is the car from Route KS - see this post:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?12288-Late-1999-Type-S-in-Monte-Carlo-Blue-Pearl

markc
21-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Nice one Nick, welcome to the Type S club, you've doubled the membership :)

If you haven't driven a Type S you'll be surprised how much firmer and louder they than the regular car. Great for when you're in a hurry, less so when you're just touring. Personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

If it's been serviced to Honda Japan schedules it should want for nothing but I'd double check that the harmonic balancer has been replaced or just do it anyway. My car is due the big cambelt etc service and in true "while your down there" style I plan on upgrading the LMA's to the later design (already purchased as set) as the reduced isolation of the Type S engine bay makes them sound a bit clattery from in the cabin at lower engine speeds.

Cheers

Mark

Nick Graves
21-08-2014, 09:23 AM
'Bout bloody time!

Congrats - looks lovely in what (for us) is such a rare spec.

NZNick
22-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Thanks everyone, even though it is still a bit premature.

I think that there are less than a dozen NSX in NZ, of which around half are autos. This will be the only Type S.

As for the list of parts to buy in Japan and ship with the car, any more ideas?

Main Relay 39400-SL0-A01
Coolant Hoses
Oil Cooler ?
Timing belt kit 06141-PR7-305
Crank Pulley
Harmonic balancer
LMAs ?

Perhaps I'm over-thinking things (me, really? .....) and should just wait to see what needs to be done when I get it to the Honda dealer here. They tell me that they can get parts from Honda NZ & Japan, not that I think that they have any NSX parts in stock here.

NZNick
28-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Shipping booked - vessel due to depart 05/09/14, arrives 12/10/14. Car will be import inspected and entry certified that week.

scammy
11-09-2014, 06:22 AM
awesome Nick, would love to see her oneday if i ever get mine down your way, very jealous you got a Type S, after rebuilding a lot of mine over the years there is nothing i would panic about getting maybe the LMA's for the noise only if they are ticking. Otherwise just keep an eye on the master and slave for the clutch/brake and the drive shaft boots

NZNick
11-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks Scammy.

TheSebringOne
14-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Congratulations & at long last, you will be a proud owner.

NZNick
16-10-2014, 02:41 AM
Car arrived in one piece and is now locked up until I get the permit next year (but doubtless I'll be checking on it every day)....

Photos to follow at the weekend.

nobby
16-10-2014, 11:22 AM
great news mate! :)

im sure you are delighted, I remember having to pinch myself everytime I went to the garage and saw it sitting there. Always brings a smile

You have been a long time member and its great to hear your patience has been rewarded

Look forward to the pics. she sure does look good from your earlier posts

Car arrived in one piece and is now locked up until I get the permit next year (but doubtless I'll be checking on it every day)....

Photos to follow at the weekend.

NZNick
17-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Just a quick note - I have never driven an NSX and only ever sat in two - once at a showroom in Guildford a few years back (Midnight Pearl Targa with tan interior), and once at a Motor Show (Red & Black) when I was much younger.

What struck me yesterday as I climbed in for the first time is just how intimate the whole experience is. I don't mean small as in tiny, mean and too small, but properly intimate. Everything in the cabin is within reach. Opening the front bonnet requires small, slim fingers to pop the latch. The door handle doesn't require your whole hand, just a couple of fingers. The engine bay hatch is light and easily manageable, as is the boot lid. Maybe the Type S seats accentuate this, but I felt instantly part of the car just sitting in the garage, with the engine literally inches away from my left kidney. I'm around 6'1" tall, and seem to have plenty of both head and leg room.
The delivery guy was bothy nervous and delighted to be driving such an amazing car - he said that it instantly felt so much more special than the numerous F & P cars that he has delivered over the years. He was nervous as there is both a slope down from the crown of the road to the kerb, then a slope up the pavement, then another slope down the driveway, which is S-shaped. We got it in with the use of a couple of short planks - I'll have to come up with something, as the gutter at the road's edge is just a few cms too deep and just in the wrong place for the nose of the car, if you see what I mean (I have to reverse in as there is no room to turn around on the driveway / in front of the garage) The hump of the footpath / driveway is just manageable - there was at least 2cm clearance......

Nick Graves
17-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Pleased you've got it at last!

Yes, there is something very special/almost indefinable about the car and it almost feels 'alive' once it's going. I like the sort of cars one wears. I don't like that 'perched on a bar stool too far from the bar' feeling one gets with a lot of VWs, for example.

I cobbled together some plank ramps for mine years ago & they're still mostly remaining.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/2013-05-15017_zps9421ce48.jpg

NZNick
19-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Managed to flatten the battery - I think I left the interior lights on for a day or two - will investigate further this week. I'll pop into my local Honda dealer to see the price of a new battery and the plastic-coated retaining bar, which looks a little tired. While I'm there I'll order a couple of bits that seem to be missing - a seat foot cover and one of the spare wheel cushions. I have looked for a c-tek battery charger / conditioner, but they seem very expensive here compared to the price in the UK.....

goldtop
19-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Managed to flatten the battery - I think I left the interior lights on for a day or two - will investigate further this week. I'll pop into my local Honda dealer to see the price of a new battery and the plastic-coated retaining bar, which looks a little tired. While I'm there I'll order a couple of bits that seem to be missing - a seat foot cover and one of the spare wheel cushions. I have looked for a c-tek battery charger / conditioner, but they seem very expensive here compared to the price in the UK.....

FWIW, I flattened my NSX's battery by leaving the door not-quite-shut, and I think it must have been the door-mounted lamp that did it. Certainly hasn't recurred since.

NZNick
23-10-2014, 02:13 AM
Quick pic of my car just before it left Japan:

http://www.proslink.jp/carssold/img/180.jpg

Nick Graves
23-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Looks fantastic - the car & its condition.

paulc
23-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Looks very nice, like the colour

NZNick
07-11-2014, 02:41 AM
Nice one Nick, welcome to the Type S club, you've doubled the membership :)

If you haven't driven a Type S you'll be surprised how much firmer and louder they than the regular car. Great for when you're in a hurry, less so when you're just touring. Personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

If it's been serviced to Honda Japan schedules it should want for nothing but I'd double check that the harmonic balancer has been replaced or just do it anyway. My car is due the big cambelt etc service and in true "while your down there" style I plan on upgrading the LMA's to the later design (already purchased as set) as the reduced isolation of the Type S engine bay makes them sound a bit clattery from in the cabin at lower engine speeds.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

I think that mine has the later design LMAs already.

Nick