PDA

View Full Version : First 500 miles in an NSX

gturner008
05-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Thought I'd share my first impressions of driving an NSX - as a virgin behind the wheel of this model. To give a bit of context: 53 years old, owned and driven a wide range of cars including 997 turbo, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Lotus Europa, 997 Carerra, 1989 3.2 Carerra, S2000, Boxster, 1970 2.2 911 etc.

So - I now go out and buy Jame's lovely 2004 coupe. Fantastic car in fantastic condition. 13k miles. Ready to go. Never been in an NSX before taking the keys off James. Just returned from a business trip to Lotus - clocking up 500 miles round trip. Here are my un-bias views on the car and the driving experience. No idea if these views resonate with you NSX pro's or tally with press reviews - they are just my personal soundings on how I feel about the car - first few miles - initial impressions...

Nice engine sound - not quite as fast feeling through the seat of the pants compared to the noise coming out of the rear
Fast enough - but could do with another 50 bhp
Sometimes slow response on the steering. Going around round-abouts, sometime it feels as though I have to give it more effort and extra input to actually get the car to go around. Almost feels like it needs a faster steering rack
Quiet, smooth and refined. Very low wind noise. Comfortable. Great cruising
Car feels light. Quick to change direction and quick to stop
Feels long geared - even though a 6 speed. Could even do with being a 7 speed - or sacrafice top end for shorter ratios
Great seating/pedal position. Nice centred position. Comfortable. Low down - feel close to the road. Go kart like.
Superb visability. No obvious blind spots
Good but not outstanding levels of grip. Would like a bit more front end bite. Pointy steering helps
Excellent brakes. Great stopping power. Not sure about fade. Didn't push too hard
Such asn easy car to drive. Good for pottering around or blasting.

I could go on - but I know I must be boring you. I thought I'd share initial/gut feelings before become tainted with longer time in the car.

Overall - a car I am slowly but surely finding is everything I'd hoped for. I love it.

flyingsniffer
05-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Good thread. I'm in a different car (90k mile NA2 pop up targa, owned for 2 years), occasional track use. Came through RX7, Ford GT and AM V8 Vantage roadster.

Engine sound - standard sounded ordinary to me: there are some great aftermarket units that release a bit of power, reduce weight (you won't believe how much the OEM silencer and cats weigh!) and sound much better. You won't get your extra 50HP but maybe 15??

Steering - to my mind it's the weakest element of the car. Innovative when it was launched but it's not class-leading. There's always a little bit of guesswork involved in - for example - coming into a roundabout or taking a sharp corner. Predictability has improved since I swapped for Type-R suspension, but this isn't everyone's cup of tea (although my dentist is loving it). It's also prone to understeer in the wet on the harder suspension so you pays your money and takes your choice.

6 speed - I've never shared your thoughts and others have said that the earlier 5 speed was a better box, so maybe it's me! BTW changing the standard knob to a Type R one improves the shift sensation by shortening the shift gait. Coupled with a Type R mesh boot it looks better too. There's someone selling Type R knobs in the USA on eBay for $78 - genuine NSX-R ones have yellow lettering but are $$$s more.

Brakes - standard ones are fine for road use, but put them on a track and they are seriously wanting. I swapped mine for Powerslot slotted rotors and they are much better, with no downside as far as I'm concerned.

But overall, mine is a joy to own and drive. I think the secret is it's lightness (notwithstanding the OEM exhaust...) - this imbues the car with a deft touch that more powerful metal just cannot match. A mate owns an AM V8 Vantage N400 - on the straights he blows me away but come to corners and it's the other way round. I know which I enjoy more.

soddy
05-08-2014, 08:03 PM
thanks for sharing your experiences, i understand why some are upgrading their brakes/exhaust etc.
would certain tyres help the grip a bit more? maybe check around? i really appreciate honest appraisals from first time buyers
as helps in understanding what its like to drive/own an nsx.

i read the nsx drives you so it being easy to drive and reliable also sounds good. question is would you go back to your astons or rx7's?

i think i'd like the na1 model, but wondered about how more can be gotten out of the v6? has anyone turbo'd or supercharged their vtec?

Senna88
05-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Hey Rob how's things? I'm contemplating a Ford GT, though the recent uplift in prices makes me feel like I've missed the boat. How did you find it? Comparisons to the NSX? I love the Ford GT for it's looks, the engine, the clam shell and the doors!

I still remember bagging a passenger ride in Markc's type S at Donnington years ago and there was a guy who had just picked up a brand new Ford GT and was 'running it in'. His son was pretty handy behind the wheel, and no offence to NSXs but the Ford GT passed us and disappeared off into the distance like we were a hot hatch! That moment has stayed in my mind all these years...

Ewan
06-08-2014, 06:55 AM
If you're interested in the GT, you should check out www.gt101.co.uk (http://www.gt101.co.uk) - it's run by the people who were responsible for bringing all the GTs into the UK, and doing most of their servicing...

goldtop
06-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Interesting write up, and I can sort of understand it. (Although 500 miles is nothing!)

Until you really get it moving, I think the NSX is an 'OK' car, easily kept up with by many ordinary modern cars in 80 percent of road/traffic conditions. I also think the steering and chassis were designed for (inexpert) user-friendliness first and only then tuned to allow an enthusiast to exploit it more. It's also a relatively long wheelbase and doesn't turn in as quick as the little X1/9 (or my Transformer Stratos).

A few passengers have been underwhelmed. Until you get to mid and high speed corners where you can keep the engine singing in VTEC and exploit the car's balance, it's a hard car to show off dynamically, I think.

For sure, I don't think it's a car that ticks everyone's boxes. Hope it grows on you. :)

Papalazarou
06-08-2014, 09:41 AM
The steering on the NSX is definitely different to the newer generation of sports cars, or any cars for that matter. However, it's character does begin to show itself over time. Although it has been described critically as being slow, I like to think of it as having a lot of adjustment. You have to move the wheel further for a given steering angle, but this also alerts you to the how much available grip there is and actually how hard you are pushing the car in a given situation.
The long wheelbase for me is a plus point. On bumpy roads where the average 911 is unpredictable, the NSX remains rock solid.
Power could be higher, but the slower pace does give you the opportunity to enjoy the sound of the engine and the dynamic qualities of the car.
They are certainly easy to drive, but at least this allows the driver to perfect the experience, rather than having to correct issues that shouldn't really be there in the first place.
Regarding the engine note and sound. I think the engine sings under load from around 4K onwards. I've had aftermarket exhaust systems on a number of NSX's and for me they didn't really add to the experience in a must have way.
On long journeys standard is easier to live with. But that's obviously subjective.

Senna88
06-08-2014, 10:16 AM
If you're interested in the GT, you should check out www.gt101.co.uk (http://www.gt101.co.uk) - it's run by the people who were responsible for bringing all the GTs into the UK, and doing most of their servicing...

I've heard good things about them, the owner branched off from the main operation to start this venture if I understand it correctly. Thing is though, he adds a fair margin to the cars he's selling!

flyingsniffer
06-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi Sean, the GT was awesome but hard to live with. I had one of the 28 - along with Martin Brundle, Eddie Jordan and that twat Clarkson - official imports into the UK. Fast (in a straight line...), beautiful, sexy for sure, but I tired of the doors (I once had to get a bloke out of a restaurant to move his car so I could open the door wide enough to get in), the width and the running costs.

I had no problem with LHD but my passengers hated it (see width above).

I sold it in 2008, wish I had mothballed it and kept it, but only for the appreciation.

Some guys are doing interesting things with them: power is relatively easy to increase with bigger supercharger pulleys and Hennessey were sticking twin turbos on them in the USA and getting over 1,200HP. Now that must be a handful....

If you are interested in talking to Dave, let me know and I'll set things up. No-one knows more about the GT than him. He used to work for Roush (who became something else) then set up on his own last year.

Jivaldinho
06-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Just to throw in my initial experience as i have only had my car for just over a week...

Coming from a 996 C4 the NSX does seem lacking in power considering its lightness, but as goldtop points out, when it gets to VTEC range and the car starts singing, that is when it makes sense. Mine has been lowered on Tein Super Street coil-overs and as a result it feels that little more planted to the road than the Porsche. I haven't pushed that car yet but part of me doesn't want to becasue I am having so much fun without the need to go fast, as the "theater" that follows this car is something else.

Sol

NSXGB
06-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Pretty standard observations.

Type-R front roll bar will sharpen turn in.
Type-R 4.25 final drive ratio will 'improve' your gear ratios, although I doubt you'd want to pull apart your gearbox just yet. (Great mod though).
Brakes usually get a bit more criticism but easily sorted.

mjames75
06-08-2014, 01:04 PM
I think the power is perfect if used right, The NSX is designed to be driven at high Rpms. With correct downshifting and heel and toe technique the NSX is amazing on the track, high speed corners and tight bends. I think the power is perfect for the road....

Kaz-kzukNA1
06-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Additional info for the new owners as well as for those interested.

At the last development stage, the wheel base was increased by 30mm due to the changes in Engine design.
Initially, it was SOHC but then decision was made switching to DOHC.
Steering response and heavy feeling (original MT models didn't have EPS) were on purposely done considering all sorts of drivers. Proto type was so easy to spun off the test course.
You will need the level of skill of being able to shift the weight towards the front through the brake as well as by the TH control if you want sharp turning feel.
For the engine power, Honda did test the super charger on NSX after the production started.
Wish it were introduced to the production model..... 40kgm torque from just 1,000rpm....
It's the only model in Honda history that Mr Honda gave the thumbs up.

Enjoy....

Kaz

Nick Graves
06-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I find braking into the turns stops the front tyres from skipping. But then I had an X-1/9 too.

I quite like the twirly, variably-assisted steering; it does help make the car less snappy/twitchy than the S2000 with its quick, always-on EPS. You have to get used to the compliance pivots walking when really pushing on, but that's a sign you're really pushing on & not instability.

I never heard about the supercharged variant, Kaz. Any info out there? Typical modern Honda to give up instead.

greenberet
06-08-2014, 05:38 PM
For the engine power, Honda did test the super charger on NSX after the production started.
Wish it were introduced to the production model..... 40kgm torque from just 1,000rpm....

Did Honda develop the supercharger in-house? When I visited Comptech in California in the summer of 1996, I heard a very nice sounding NSX being tested on a dynamometer. Comptech told me they were testing the supercharger kit Honda had hired them to develop.

Edit: When ordering an NSX at US Acura dealerships, you could then order a Comptech supercharger as a dealer installed accessory. It's too bad the 280 PS limit was in effect in Japan basically throughout the NSX's lifespan!

Silver Surfer
06-08-2014, 09:37 PM

Blimey...they are only half a mile down the road where I live!!!....may go down and have a look.

Regarding the first drive experience...it is the driving position, the low down and looking between the front wheel humps at the road sweeping under you and the non-claustrophobic feel of the cabin, the induction noise during VTEC range which are the positive....the heavy steering in my non-PAS model was noticable but soon lighten up as you pick up speed and the great steering feel of whats your front wheels are doing is terrific.....now, after a few years...it needed more power and acceleration which I have rectified. (A Seat Cupra R can now match a standard car in performance!!)

SS

soddy
06-08-2014, 11:28 PM
interesting comments about your experiences, so when you say the vtec range, how high can the revs go in each gear?
i am used to 8000 rpm - 9000 rpm in my rx8 in 2nd, so curious as its a high revving engine.

gturner008
07-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Interesting comments by everyone. Seems to me:
* I need to push the car harder into bends - to start to exploit the chassis and the long wheel base
* Dab the brakes a little entering bends to get a little bit of extra bite before turn in
* Rev the car into the higher rev range to really unleash the beast
* Enjoy the engine sound track - forget g-force sensation as a measure of outright pace
* Allow the car to continue to seduce me...

G

nobby
07-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Pretty much sums up how I felt when I first got into my own NSX properly. I had a few hundred mile to get my car home to Northern Ireland from B'ham and loved every minute of it regardless of having no a/c system working on a hot day! :)

You cant beat the feel of the non PAS steering ... as below it felt heavy at the start ... but really easy once you get used to it.

Few mods as described above help the car too.

Thats a bit scary that a run of the mill vag tarted up is similar in performance ... but i guess 20+ years will do that.

I still love driving the car though ... cracker car

Regarding the first drive experience...it is the driving position, the low down and looking between the front wheel humps at the road sweeping under you and the non-claustrophobic feel of the cabin, the induction noise during VTEC range which are the positive....the heavy steering in my non-PAS model was noticable but soon lighten up as you pick up speed and the great steering feel of whats your front wheels are doing is terrific.....now, after a few years...it needed more power and acceleration which I have rectified. (A Seat Cupra R can now match a standard car in performance!!)

SS

nobby
07-08-2014, 11:39 AM
approx 8250 (there is no markings after 8 just a solid red line but needle goes into that) ... thats what my car does anyway before you hit the limiter. engine has to be properly warmed up before the vtec system engages anyways.

interesting comments about your experiences, so when you say the vtec range, how high can the revs go in each gear?
i am used to 8000 rpm - 9000 rpm in my rx8 in 2nd, so curious as its a high revving engine.

manisandher
07-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Is there much difference in outright performance between an NA1 and a facelift? I ask this because although I've test-driven much faster cars (GT-R, etc), I really don't need any more performance than I'm currently getting from my totally stock NSX (with spare wheel removed from front). But I'm talking purely for road use and not track.

FWIW, easily the biggest improvement in performance I've experienced in my 3 years of ownership came about from changing the tyres (to AD08s) and getting Kaz to do the alignment 'properly'. Dynamically, a totally different car when I got it back.

But I totally agree with the thoughts on driving position and visibility - both great IMO.

Mani.

Nick Graves
07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Agree with all that.

What is odd is the negligible rolling resistance - I can so easily move it around the garage by rotating a wheel.

The S2000 is stiffer and the Leg End is like a Transit. Of a house, if you forget to release it from Park!

AR
07-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Regarding the engine note and sound. I think the engine sings under load from around 4K onwards. I've had aftermarket exhaust systems on a number of NSX's and for me they didn't really add to the experience in a must have way.
On long journeys standard is easier to live with. But that's obviously subjective.

I would agree with that except my Zero Drone which does not drone at any revs.

soddy
07-08-2014, 11:21 PM
approx 8250 (there is no markings after 8 just a solid red line but needle goes into that) ... thats what my car does anyway before you hit the limiter. engine has to be properly warmed up before the vtec system engages anyways.

i read that you can tell also when it kicks in, when the oil gauge drops a few notches as you climb through the rev ranges.
so does driving an nsx hard use alot of oil and can you go up to those revs in 2nd?

if so then like the rotary engine, you only drive it like that when its warmed up. i have a little beep to tell me to change up, anything like that on the nsx?

Mistercorn
08-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Here are my first impressions, after approximately 1000 miles.
The view is fantastic, the driving position doesn't seem all that low until you pull up next to something low at the traffic lights and realise you are looking at their door handles. Visibility is great, except for a small section just over my right shoulder, exactly where I look when pulling on to dual-carriageways.
The throw on the gearbox is very short, I was a bit nervous about how close sixth was to reverse until some experimentation revealed there was a lockout on it so it couldn't be engaged by accident. I often go 4-6 when pulling on to motorways.
The suspension is amongst the best of any cars I have driven, it is soft and supple whilst at the same time providing good control, the handling is plenty good enough for the road car use I put the car to. It can handle corners at any sensible speed that I throw at it. The changing weight of the steering is a little odd at times, but it has a good feel and weight to it.
I am running Yokohama tyres, they are good in the dry but pretty slippery in the wet / on damp surfaces.
The engine seems a bit weak at low revs, the note seems to change at 4k rpm (is there a valve in the exhaust) then when the vtec comes in you can hear and feel the change in the engine and it zips round to 8k. In comparison with the 3.2l 6 cylinder engine in my M3, the 3.2l v6 sounds rough and lumpy at idle (uneven firing order and not balanced like a straight 6) and clearly doesn't have the power at the top end, but the sound is certainly much better, the lower weight in the NSX compared to my E46 cabriolet makes up for the 50hp difference between the two.
The power is what I would describe as 'adequate', I think it is ideal for pottering around on back roads between villages and for reasonable A and B roads. It isn't what I would describe as a fast car, but it does have the right amount of power IMO.

The looks of the car are fantastic on the outside, the long overhangs give away its age, the interior is clearly very dated now, whatever were they thinking with those stalks? The controls all seem to be easy to get to and work very well, the interior surfaces are not really showing their age and I can't see the car seeming more dated in another 10 years time, it isn't like it has an early sat-nav to further date it.
The car gets more attention than any other car I have driven, and unlike driving some cars the attention has always been positive. At a recent car meet many people came up to me to ask about the car, saying they had always liked them years ago but never had one and hadn't seen any around for many years. So far it has been a very positive experience, next job is to get the bodywork polished as it is covered in small scratches and I might get another decent length trip out in this year, depending on how the weather is and when I'm around.

MC

nobby
08-08-2014, 11:13 AM
have never noticed my oil guage change like that on vtec changeover ... but then you dont really have time to look at the guage, and generally the guage you are looking at is the big rev counter! :) Must check this out sometime though!

VTEC's have a tendency to use oil but not in the same league as an rx8 and thats not having a 'pop' just a fact. it is always advisable to check the oil in any vtec engine on a regular basis. I have owned all types of vtec engine including i-vtec and the NSX is no more sore on oil than any of the rest of them. I currently have a 2.2 i-dtec CR-V and its important to check oil levels on her on a regular basis; so not only a characteristic of VTEC but all Honda engines. If you are anyway car sympathetic this is considered as routine checking anyway ... should do it in any car regardless of Honda, Mazda etc.

my recent trip to Goodwood and considering the distance and some of the speeds maintained to get there and back I was surprised at the amount of oil used virtually no movement on the dip stick level. Whereas there have been times I have had to top up in local driving etc... nothing ever scary perhaps no more than a 1/2 litre or something but could also have been a result of not checking for longer periods.

I change my oil every year regardless of miles as I am sure most owners on here do anyway. If i am at any track events I do an oil change regardless of when oil was last changed on car, so that in some ways gives me some reassurance that my car is likely NEVER to run low throughout my ownership at least!

you can hit the vtec limit in every gear mate - 1st to 5th in my case (albeit never reached limits of 5th yet!) ... actually done a bit vtecing in the car from a standing start on a quiet straight road last night and changed gear prior to limit point from 1st - 3rd and was over 3 digits in 3rd gear and it had not even reached limit point before i slacked off again. There is no light or a beep to inform gear change ... that came later in the NSX-R variant (lights). With that lovely induction noise just behind your earhole, and when you have got used to the car (in terms of driving) you know the limit point anyways

as stated earlier VTEC engines only allow the change over to happen once engine has warmed to a satisfactory level ... characteristic of most of their performance cars not just NSX.

i read that you can tell also when it kicks in, when the oil gauge drops a few notches as you climb through the rev ranges.
so does driving an nsx hard use alot of oil and can you go up to those revs in 2nd?

if so then like the rotary engine, you only drive it like that when its warmed up. i have a little beep to tell me to change up, anything like that on the nsx?

NSXGB
08-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Oil consumption, what's that?? Never noticed a change in level in between 6-8 month oil changes in the last 11 years.

WhyOne?
08-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Likewise.

My S2000 used to religiously consume 1ltr. oil / 1000 miles, so I was well accustomed to checking oil levels when I bought my NSX.....it quickly became apparent that this was to be a much less exciting task than it ever was with the S2000.

As far as I can tell just from checking the dipstick, my car hasn't used a drop of oil in 9 years / 28,000 miles.

nobby
08-08-2014, 02:30 PM
you's guys must have all got perfect seals etc. :)
don't rub it in too much

i admit i have the typical 'weep' issues on the commonly known engine spots and my gasket apparently is due a change at the sump ... so perhaps thats why my car has the odd fluctuation on oil levels. nothing ever alarming but hope to all have all fixed up off season/early next year.

im going by my own personal experiences of Honda vehicles and I have had a few and currently own 3 of their cars and 1 bike and they all like a bit of oil from time to time :)

Dragonlady
08-08-2014, 03:28 PM
The only time my oil level changes is when the garage removes the sump plug! (Servicing), and we average about 6k miles a year with a run around Europe every year.

Ian

just to rub it in a bit more!

soddy
08-08-2014, 07:03 PM
All very interesting points. It's always best to ask people who actually own drive a model of car than read lots of so called drive posts and comparisons.
So andrew you would after warming the car up obviously take off in first and what go to the limit before changing gear to 2nd, 3rd etc. I am wondering would 1st not be wise as its more of a move off gear? What kinda gearbox is in the nsx and the clutch would it be setup for racing etc, sorry I just know very little about the nsx, it must be very strong. I know with the rotary engines they love revving and being revved hard, the oil consumption is just part of the engine's design, so its part and parcel of owning one, though premixing helps the s1 rx8, the s2 has a bigger sump and additional oil metering hole, but its very smooth. the vtec would be a smooth engine too? i was reading a little on its design and it sounds an excellent piston engine and yes oil is the life blood of any engine so those that are not using much oil, must have excellent seals, but how hard are you driving the car.

where did you get 3 figures lol, naughty, naughty :)

Pride
08-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Now my turn to really rub it in.lol
Got to say as well that in the 16 years I've had my gorgeous NA1 and over 100,000 miles I've driven including the odd track day, I've never had to top up the engine oil either.

I would also just like to mention how amazingly reliable and strong my clutch has been. Having bought the car with 33,000 on the clock it's just tripped over 135,000 on the original factory installed number.
In fact last year on arriving back from a trip to Europe I couldn't engage gear when stationary nor change gear when driving, all of this happening when setting of from the ferry at Dover to go home.
I managed to start the car in gear and synchronising the revs with the lay shaft speed changed up and down without the clutch which shows the quality of the gearbox engineering, oh, and of course my driving ability if I don't say so myself:laugh:
I then proceeded onto Yeomans Chichester, fully expecting to leave it with them for a new clutch but only to find to my utter amazement when the service manager called me the following day to say it was nothing more than the clutch slave that had failed and the car was ready to collect with a bill of only £250 and not the £2,500 which I was fully expecting to pay. Result!!!
This car still never fails to amaze me.
I did read in a buyers guide once that the clutches were expected to last approximately 30,000 miles, just curious as to other forum owners experience with their clutches?
Cheers

nobby
08-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Clutch life is very dependent on driver style ... Many times I was told during my evo 8 ownership that the std clutch was not very good. My car was up to 385hp prior to selling ... She still was on original clutch with nearly 60k on clock. My evo mech said most people had around 4 in that time.

Dragonlady
08-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Just tipped over 70000 miles and still on the original clutch!

Ian

AR
09-08-2014, 10:41 AM
have never noticed my oil guage change like that on vtec changeover ... but then you dont really have time to look at the guage, and generally the guage you are looking at is the big rev counter! :) Must check this out sometime though!

VTEC's have a tendency to use oil but not in the same league as an rx8 and thats not having a 'pop' just a fact. it is always advisable to check the oil in any vtec engine on a regular basis. I have owned all types of vtec engine including i-vtec and the NSX is no more sore on oil than any of the rest of them. I currently have a 2.2 i-dtec CR-V and its important to check oil levels on her on a regular basis; so not only a characteristic of VTEC but all Honda engines. If you are anyway car sympathetic this is considered as routine checking anyway ... should do it in any car regardless of Honda, Mazda etc.

my recent trip to Goodwood and considering the distance and some of the speeds maintained to get there and back I was surprised at the amount of oil used virtually no movement on the dip stick level. Whereas there have been times I have had to top up in local driving etc... nothing ever scary perhaps no more than a 1/2 litre or something but could also have been a result of not checking for longer periods.

I change my oil every year regardless of miles as I am sure most owners on here do anyway. If i am at any track events I do an oil change regardless of when oil was last changed on car, so that in some ways gives me some reassurance that my car is likely NEVER to run low throughout my ownership at least!

you can hit the vtec limit in every gear mate - 1st to 5th in my case (albeit never reached limits of 5th yet!) ... actually done a bit vtecing in the car from a standing start on a quiet straight road last night and changed gear prior to limit point from 1st - 3rd and was over 3 digits in 3rd gear and it had not even reached limit point before i slacked off again. There is no light or a beep to inform gear change ... that came later in the NSX-R variant (lights). With that lovely induction noise just behind your earhole, and when you have got used to the car (in terms of driving) you know the limit point anyways

as stated earlier VTEC engines only allow the change over to happen once engine has warmed to a satisfactory level ... characteristic of most of their performance cars not just NSX.

zublin's Smart shift easily solves the shiftlight issue, easy to install, a must if you want to hit it right in a spirited drive.

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Regarding the oil consumption....

On our NSX, under normal city driving to gentle street driving conditions, you will very unlikely to see any changes to the oil level.

However, if you own the earlier models with black valve cover (presuming that you haven't painted it to a different colour), you may see oil level change after high G spirited driving, track days especially with high G right turns or continuous long engine brake moment.
This is due to the layout of the blowby passage and the oil could be sucked into the intake manifold and exiting through the exhaust causing white smoke.

For this reason, Honda changed the blowby route on the NSX from the Red valve cover models.
On Red valve cover engine, it is very rare to see the white smoke from the exhaust except when you have enough oil trapped at the VVIS bottom chamber and driving continuously at high rpm with VVIS open.

Early model S2000 was famous for its oil consumption.
It's the way the piston and piston ring were designed best suiting for high rpm usage.
Honda even released modified piston design for owners with the high oil consumption. Depending on the country, some owners had their engine OH by Honda under warranty with modified piston.
The timing chain (not belt) splashed oil into blowby chamber under strong engine braking so that also contributed to the oil consumption depending on the driving conditions.

Kaz

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Did Honda develop the supercharger in-house? When I visited Comptech in California in the summer of 1996, I heard a very nice sounding NSX being tested on a dynamometer. Comptech told me they were testing the supercharger kit Honda had hired them to develop.

Edit: When ordering an NSX at US Acura dealerships, you could then order a Comptech supercharger as a dealer installed accessory. It's too bad the 280 PS limit was in effect in Japan basically throughout the NSX's lifespan!
Hi, greenberet.
I worked with Comptech members before the ownership changed so it was such long time ago and at that time, there was no super charger on their NSX.
As I don't want to be in trouble with IP considering my background, the information regarding the super charger was referenced in the Japanese magazine [Honda NSX III] by Neko Publishing Co. Ltd and I will neither confirm nor deny the contents and just translating what was written in there.

There was a plan to introduce super charger model on Integra and because the project was already at the advanced stage, it allowed the engineers to use that production facility to modify the super charger for NSX. They actually installed it on the real NSX by moving the ACG to the existing A/C compressor position. Obviously, the super charger was mounted in the V-bank.
They used about 0.6 bar boost.
Unfortunately, the production plan of the super charger model of Integra didn't materialise and subsequently, the same plan for the NSX didn't go ahead so no OEM super charger model for NSX....

Kaz

greenberet
10-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Dear Kaz, thank you for your comments and translation. As far as I remember, members of Comptech were already developing Honda's IndyCar engine in 1995, so it would make sense if they were working on that before Honda asked them to develop a supercharger for the NSX. Intellectual property issues may prevent too much light from being shed on the history, however!

The naturally aspirated 3.8 L NSX engine Comptech developed in 2008 (after changing ownership) for the Daytona Prototype series sounds good, too, particularly its "500+ hp" output and its sound which they described as being like an "old F1 Cosworth". They had a good knowledge base to develop that engine from, of course, having swept the IMSA Lights series from 1991-1993 with prototypes powered by naturally aspirated 3.0 L NSX engines. The longevity of those naturally aspirated NSX race engines is probably orders of magnitude lower than that of a stock engine and I wonder what the torque curve looks like.

mjames75
10-08-2014, 09:34 PM
None of my Nsx seem to use oil. My yellow car is on the original clutch at 150k miles! Soddy, the rev limit will always be the same no matter what gear your'e in amd you can rev it safely upto redline in any gear aslong as the car is warmed up. The first time in vtec i usually drop in and out of vtec a couple of times before taking it into the higher rev range. Had several hondas now and never had an engine or gearbox fail. Including a civic vti with 220k miles with track use!

soddy
11-08-2014, 09:05 PM
None of my Nsx seem to use oil. My yellow car is on the original clutch at 150k miles! Soddy, the rev limit will always be the same no matter what gear your'e in amd you can rev it safely upto redline in any gear aslong as the car is warmed up. The first time in vtec i usually drop in and out of vtec a couple of times before taking it into the higher rev range. Had several hondas now and never had an engine or gearbox fail. Including a civic vti with 220k miles with track use!

hondas like most japanese cars were always well built, engines, gearboxes etc all going to the moon and back in terms of mileage providing they are looked after.
i have an import mazda mx3 on 292000km and the engine will outlast the body, original clutch/gearbox too. uses no oil either only what sweats out the seals etc and its very little.

all i was wondering was what gears you could red line in. i wouldn't do it in first as to me its a moving off gear. i know the limit is the limit, its what the transmission can handle when the car is properly warmed up and does the car require being revved hard to maintain its performance and not babied most of the time say in short runs or does it even matter. with a rotary engine people who baby them ruin them as revving them makes them perform better, keeps the carbon down and improves fuel consumption.