PDA

View Full Version : Solar battery chargers

richmills
02-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi all

Does anyone know if those solar battery chargers that backfill via the cigarette lighter socket will work on the NSX? I wouldn't want to plug one directly into the battery and leave it, but leaving it on the dashboard and plugging it into the DC socket sounds like a great idea.

Cheers, Rich.

britlude
02-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Not without the ignition on I'm afraid... You'd have to find a permanent feed to tap into....

Kaz-kzukNA1
02-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Hi, Rich.
I was asked the same question in the past and the simple answer is 'No' unless you modify the circuit.
In order to activate the cigarette lighter circuit (establishing the connection to the car battery), you will need to trigger the cigarette lighter relay and it is only activated when the IG Key is in ACC position.

Alternatively, some owners installed such devices in the engine bay using the jump start terminal for +Ve and -Ve on the engine.
They just left the solar panel on the engine bay cover.
If the temperature spec (and the back current, if such thing exists on solar panel) is not a problem, you could create a permanent installation.

Never tried it by myself and not sure about the efficiency of the latest solar power devices but in theory, it should work.

Kaz