PDA

View Full Version : Paint thickness

Mistercorn
07-07-2014, 11:47 AM
The paint on my car could do with a really good polish, before I set about it with the DA polisher I thought I would check the paint thickness to see how much is on there and see if it has been done excessively before. Has anybody else done this on their car? Anybody know if the paint has a clearcoat finish or just a single layer? My car is a 2000MY in red.

MC

Papalazarou
07-07-2014, 01:40 PM
It has a tinted clearcoat finish from the factory, but most have been painted here or there. If it's been buffed before, normally the paint will be thinner on the top half of the car.
If you can get to a good body shop or even a dealer. They should have a depth guage you can borrow.
However, the values may be ambiguous because 'apparently' the NSX had more paint than other Honda cars. But also because as stated above the car may have been painted, which will increase the reading.
As long as you don't use a too agressive pad/polish and keep away from the corners/edges. You should be fine.

Cheers.

Senninha
07-07-2014, 05:34 PM
About this many layers ;o)

britlude
07-07-2014, 07:28 PM
usually.... etch primer, primer, then in the above case, 3 stage colour of colour base, pearl coat and clear lacquer...

for more colour depth ink is in the pearl coat, which doesn't dry, but leaches into the clear coat, giving it the tint....

Mistercorn
07-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Average thicknesses are around 200um on the bonnet, 130um on the roof, 150um boot, 200um rear wings, 175um doors, 150um front wings. I think I will accurately measure one panel, give it a pass with the heavy cutting compound and re-measure. I will report back. It won't be for a couple of weeks until after the service and MOT.

MC

Papalazarou
07-07-2014, 08:41 PM
usually.... etch primer, primer, then in the above case, 3 stage colour of colour base, pearl coat and clear lacquer...

for more colour depth ink is in the pearl coat, which doesn't dry, but leaches into the clear coat, giving it the tint....

I always wondered why some colours had tint in the clear-coat.