PDA

View Full Version : Mixed rubber

Senninha
17-04-2006, 10:30 PM
What is the view/advise on running mixed makes front to rear?

I've got approx 6mm all round but have Bridgestone S03's on the rear and Yoko A022's up front. I've not given the car a good run yet so its difficult to judge which end is working best.

Found this link talking about tyre purchasing but was looking for more info about tried and tested makes/preferences please.

http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=114&highlight=tyres

I'm hoping to see the summer through with whats on the car with a view to replacing for the autumn.

regards

ctrlaltdelboy
17-04-2006, 10:51 PM
it's down to personal taste

you can control the under/oversteer characteristics of the car in this way rather than using other methods if you like

I have never worried about mixing front/rear brands myself - I've never had a matching set since I changed the Falkens that were on mine when I bought it in 2002.

Mr_Spanners
17-04-2006, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't run mixed tyres on my daily driver let alone a 300hp RWD Supercar! :shock:

I'm sure the car feels 'OK' (stable) just driving around town but should you be caught out in showers or you're 'pressing on' in the dry the tyres are going to have a difference in grip from front to back and that's not even comparing tyre wall 'slop' and tyre\grip characteristics.

... I suppose the saving grace is you're at least running performance tyres front and rear (I have seen some high performance cars with budget tyres at one end and track tyres at the other!!)

Just my 2p!

~Phil.

Greybloke
18-04-2006, 12:51 PM
No... dont do it :shock:

I had the same problem, with only part worn front toyo's but needing to change the rears asap. Could not get hold of matching toyo's for the rear, but could get Dunlop's.

The car was almost undriveable.

Maybe it was my particular mix of tyres, but I wont be dooing it again.

TheQuietOne
18-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Mine was lethal in the wet on Yokos up front and Pilot Sports on the back both brand new when I got it. It felt iffy in the dry and really nasty - lots of aquaplaning in the wet - now on oversized Eagle F1's as per Damian and all feels perfect after a few hunderd miles scrubbing in!

Just my opinion but I would hope you don't get caught out in an April shower with thew Yokos up front, if you do avoid all standing water! It is a pain in the arse, but I would consider getting a matching set as soon as you can!

Hope this helps!

sportyking
18-04-2006, 01:39 PM
I have nothing against mixed tyres front to rear, though the different tyres will behave differently and this should be tried out before you need them in an "on the limit" moment.

I have just done the ring with Bridgestone RE010s on the front and Yokohama A022H0s on the back.

On normal roads the car felt fine but on a dry track the rear Yokohamas went off after half a lap and became very squirmy until cooled down for a couple of corners.

On a wet track I had horrendous understeer from the Bridgestones, which was great fun, but so did many other cars.

I would never mix the NSX specific tyres with non-NSX specific as the construction is different.

Like many others who have already I am looking to drop the specified tyres as I think tyre technology has moved on way beyond them.

Senninha
18-04-2006, 02:56 PM
So if there was a poll running on this the mixed option wouldn't be getting many votes.

I've always been a Goodyear fan, so I'm interested in this oversized Eagle F1 option. What sizes are you running and have you any issues, ie rubbing on full lock?

As a side issue, has this changed the car cosmetically by filling the arches more?

regards

frostos
19-04-2006, 11:47 PM
I got very nervy steering when I changed my rear tyres and picked Dunlop 9000s over the spec 8000s (which were wearing well on the front). It felt just like my old S2 did right before an unsettling blow-out on the M1.

Since then the vagueness has improved - partly with being worn in I suspect and perhaps also by ensuring the pressure on all four corners is on spec. The steering still seems vague at times at speed on the mixed tyres. That said, although the 9000s seem a much more open tread than the 8000s I'm not sure if the underlying tyre technology is much different.

I need to change the fronts soon and plan to get Dunlop 9000s on there too. As for mixing manufacturers - I dont want to tempt fate and end up with the problems Greybloke had.

Incidentally - and this may be purely all in my simple mind - but I find the vague steering is much worse on some stretches of road. The M40 north of the Chilterns in particular. Maybe I need to see a shrink. :)

Chris.

mutley
25-04-2006, 11:42 AM
I am thinking on the same lines as Senninha, I run with Goodyear Eagle F1's on my BM (235/40/17), and I can't get over how much they have improved the handling of that car, so I too would like to know what sizes you are running on your NSX?

TheQuietOne
25-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi,

Sorry to be so slack on the info, here is an except from an email I had with Bob Holmes on the same subject last week:

After a few nasty experiences which you have probably read about on NSXCB I settled on upsizing slightly to get modern tyre technology and have gone for the Eagle F1's, GDS02 on the front and GDS03 on the back. The sizes I have got are 225 x 45 x 16 on the front, and 255 x 40 x 17 on the back on standard rims.

The ride is fine, after a little scrubbing in they feel great and the grip and wear are fantastic, they have done 10,000 miles in 6 months and are all looking good. I paid £500 from a local trusted garage to have all four fitted inc VAT, and I think it is possible to get that down a little too.

If anyone wants more info please feel free to PM me or give me a call at work on 0845 260 6608 any time.

Cheers,

Matt.

TheQuietOne
26-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Was that what you needed guys?

Senninha
26-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanx Matt,

Thats answered my question ref sizing, catch up with you at Silverstone.

I shall be getting the OEM alloys refurbed at some point so will coincide this with the tyre change/upgrade.

Now, if someone is interested in some part worns for road/track use it could make this exercise a little less painful.......

regards