PDA

View Full Version : SH-AWD - who's driven it in the current Hondas?

goldtop
21-06-2014, 11:43 AM
So the new NSX will have SH-AWD, using the electric motors (AIUI). The aim is to reduce both power-understeer and lift-off-oversteer. Which would seem to be useful (although if you don't like electronic driver aids, you won't like this!) For off-roading or rain/snow SH-AWD seems to do well, too (various YouTube videos), although that's probably not very interesting to the NSX buyer.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here has tried SH-AWD in the current Hondas? I think only the last Honda Legend had the system in the UK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSqFCcl_j7c but of course, that's a softly sprung cruising barge.

Plato on Fifth Gear said something interesting about the SH-AWD system in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwT79fmwOjY - maybe the new NSX is the car he's hoping for?

So if you've driven a Honda with SH-AWD, what did you think of it?

A.S. Motorsport
30-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I've driven SH-AWD Legend's it's a very cool system really liked it in the Legend.
Although the NSX will likely be on a whole different scale

Nick Graves
31-07-2014, 07:47 PM
I've a Leg End.

It's addictive on wet roundabouts - it's like a big GT86.

The new (hybrid) one will be able to torque vector off-power too (you have to be committed with the mechanical system for efficacy) and so ought to be better. NSX will having electric & ICE drive at the rear end, with the ~36BHP motors on the front axle.

SHAWD
31-07-2014, 08:22 PM
I've a Leg End.

It's addictive on wet roundabouts - it's like a big GT86.

The new (hybrid) one will be able to torque vector off-power too (you have to be committed with the mechanical system for efficacy) and so ought to be better. NSX will having electric & ICE drive at the rear end, with the ~36BHP motors on the front axle.

I've a Leg End too - confidence inspiring drive (absolutely love it, quality,exclusivity & great value).
Just need it's supercar brother the NSX to go with it !

Nick Graves
01-08-2014, 10:54 AM
I've a Leg End too - confidence inspiring drive (absolutely love it, quality,exclusivity & great value).
Just need it's supercar brother the NSX to go with it !

Eliminating the cold-weather trim squeaks with fuzzy felt nearly drove me mad, but otherwise it's a simply superb car, which perfectly fits the quotation in my signature.

goldtop
01-08-2014, 11:46 AM
On the Legend, I almost bought one for my upcoming road trip. At about £5-6k, it's a lot of car for the money, but depreciation is still so high with these. So I opted for an LS400 at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Would have been fun to hustle along with 290bhp os SH-AWD, though.

SH-AWD should make the new NSX very entertaining. Looking forward to a ride-along with the first forumite to offer! :)

Nick Graves
02-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Well, it is & it isn't; there's very few car with good torque vectoring & you can only lose 5-10 bag max until you SCRAP IT. That's like a year's depn. on some boring German rubbish. Or lease payments, more likely...

Though an old Lexus smoker is a good idea for almost depn.-free barging.

The new NSX is technically very interesting, but I remain very 'Jury's out' on whether it will actually deliver.

nicjwin
01-10-2014, 10:01 PM
I have a Legend with the Lane Keeping and CBMS . its a great motorway cruiser. Its really an Acura RL. If you look at the new RL it will have Front normal drive and electric rear wheel drive. So the new NSX will be RL reversed.

nicjwin
01-10-2014, 10:14 PM
RLX Sport Hybrid launched at $59950 in USA

Nick Graves
02-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Selling like hot ice cream, too. Another epic failure by Acura.

At least the TLX is doing well and the SH-AWD's only just arriving.