PDA

View Full Version : CD Changer ...

DamianW
13-05-2004, 11:05 AM
My NSX doesn't have a CD changer (amazing for a 2001 car) ... so its coming up to time to order one.

Looking at NSX Prime it seems the Alpine CHAS634 is the one to get, and there are detailed instructions for fitting.

Question: is this what people on here have done? How did you go about getting the special bits (some kind of patch interface cable)? Any advice?

ctrlaltdelboy
13-05-2004, 11:46 AM
I had the Alpine 6 disk CD/MP3 changer installed in mine about 18 months ago - had to have the bus conversion cable too at an extra £20 but it works sweet straight from the OEM head unit even with 120 tracks on one disk.

if you want to talk to someone who knows about these things call Ed at Sextons Southampton (http://www.sextons-southampton.co.uk/) on 02380 339396, mention my car and he'll tell you what you need to know.

Darren

NSXGB
13-05-2004, 02:42 PM
I have the CHA-S634 & it's excellent.

With regard to the 'patch cable', as you put it, you don't need this. Look on NSXPrime & it will tell you how to switch two of the pins round in the DIN lead to make it work properly. All you will need to buy (assuming that the lead to the boot is in place already) is the CHA-S634 & your soldering kit.
If you ask in places like Road Radio, they will tell you that you need to buy a bus converter box to make it work & charge you £65 for the privelidge...while this will work, a quick job with the soldering iron will be just as good.
In the US, I found the ACUALP lead that they recommend on Prime to do the same job, for around $15 if you want to import one?

Regs,
Simon.

DamianW
13-05-2004, 03:59 PM
In the US, I found the ACUALP lead that they recommend on Prime to do the same job, for around $15 if you want to import one?

Yeah if I can get one of those for $15 I'll leave the soldering. Is that the route you took then, how do I import one?

Do I need that Ai-Net to M-bus adapter thing too? Does that come with the changer?

Another thing I'm not quite clear on - is the bracket they use one that comes with the Alpine changer or do I need to get that from a Honda dealer?

NSXGB
13-05-2004, 04:21 PM
The Ai-Net to M-bus adapter comes with the changer.

Dont be afraid of the soldering though, it's a piece of cake.

Importing the ACUALP lead should not be a problem, just the postage & maybe a bit of a wait....if I get a chance I'll find where I saw the lead because I also saw the same lead for $40 on other sites.

Is there a lead in place already? If not, I have a converted lead handy if you need it....

DamianW
13-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Importing the ACUALP lead should not be a problem, just the postage & maybe a bit of a wait....if I get a chance I'll find where I saw the lead because I also saw the same lead for $40 on other sites.

Is there a lead in place already? If not, I have a converted lead handy if you need it....

Not in any rush, would be interested in that lead.

I don't know to be honest. I'd assumed there was already a lead in the boot to fit the normal changer? Have to check that. To be honest I haven't studied the instructions yet, was just going to get the bits I needed and give it a go!

NSXGB
14-05-2004, 06:42 AM
Here's one for you...ACUALP Lead (http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERACUALP)

Just do a Google search on "ACUALP" & you'll get loads of hits, I don't suppose they all ship to the UK, but hopefully the cheapest one does.

[/url]

DamianW
14-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Thanks Simon. My Dad lives in the US, so I'll get him to order it and send it to me.

BabyNSX
10-08-2004, 12:50 PM
I have the CHA-S634 & it's excellent.

on NSXPrime & it will tell you how to switch two of the pins round in the DIN lead to make it work properly. .

can you post this link please?
thanks

BabyNSX
10-08-2004, 12:58 PM

are you sure about this? On the Alpine website it says that it is an optional extra and I called two dealers and they also said it is available as extra and is not included with the S634 changer.

DamianW
10-08-2004, 02:28 PM

are you sure about this? On the Alpine website it says that it is an optional extra and I called two dealers and they also said it is available as extra and is not included with the S634 changer.

It doesn't, you need to buy it seperately. So you need two adapter cables (which adds up to a lot of cabling to hide), unless you take on the soldering yourself.

I did this recently though and just velcro'd the changer to the boot, and its fine. The MP3 facility on the 634 is very cool!

Kevin
10-08-2004, 08:45 PM
The Honda bracket to mount the changer is for the original changer that Honda supply. Its an old model and is bigger than the current changers you are looking at. In other words the bracket won't fit, without mods anyway.

I changed the pins around in the lead that came with the changer I got. There is a socket in the boot, left hand side.

BabyNSX
10-08-2004, 09:30 PM
can you explain the mod to the pins in the din cable

NSXGB
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
This thread (http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22606) on NSX Prime (www.nsxprime.com) gives you all the details of swapping the pins in the Din lead.

BabyNSX
11-08-2004, 08:37 PM
This thread (http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22606) on NSX Prime (www.nsxprime.com) gives you all the details of swapping the pins in the Din lead.

thanks. the pics are broken links but i'm sure i'll figure it out

NSXGB
11-08-2004, 09:21 PM
It is very easy, just be very quick (& neat) with your soldering as the wires are very thin.