PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen washer jet...drivers side problem

WhyOne?
19-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Not the greatest technical issue ever to afflict an NSX, but during my MOT it was noted that the drivers side windscreen washer wasn't working (technically a fail, but as I promised to put it right asap the kind people let it go). Passenger side is a-ok.

I was anticipating that the nozzles would be blocked with wax, but this isn't the case. I detached the tubing immediately beneath the washer head, and found no water was emerging here. So I back-tracked to the 'Y' junction and removed the length of tube running to the drivers side.

As with all things NSX, there is a bit of engineering going on here. This isn't a simple length of tubing, there is a joint with a small valve part way along - a ball bearing moves to and fro in this little valve. I cant blow through the tubing, nor get water to pass through this valve - is it possible it is defective, or is there something more cunning going on here which I am missing?!

Many thanks for any help.

lotusolly
19-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Don't mean to state the obvious but I think the valve is a one way valve to stop the water draining back to the tank so that you get an instant jet of water when you press the button. Have you tried to blow or pass water in both directions?
If you have had any work done somebody may have refitted it the wrong way around?

Olly

WhyOne?
19-05-2014, 09:38 PM
You are almost certainly right Olly....though nobody (to my knowledge) has touched this valve.

I have tried blowing both ways and it is reluctant to allow water (or air) to pass either way. I am thinking knackered valve.

lotusolly
19-05-2014, 10:23 PM
If there easy enough to get too, you could try swapping with the valve on the passenger side. That would at least give you a definite answer. Simon has some bits at the moment so may have a spare but they only seem to be £10 from lings.

Olly

Kaz-kzukNA1
19-05-2014, 11:16 PM
If you look very closely, you will see an arrow showing the direction of the flow on each one way valve.
It is very unlikely for the one way valve to fail and most of the time, it was blocked by the debris inside the washer tank.

If you don’t drive your NSX regularly and if your washer tank was left with the same fluid for months, then very likely, it’s off by now.

Quite often, I saw black slimy bits floating inside the washer tank mainly on the ‘garage queen’ NSX and 100% guaranteed to cause blockage or health issue.
The National institute of infectious diseases in Japan and similar organisation around the world have warned the drivers with the cars not driven regularly to keep the concentration of the washer fluid high or replace it with fresh one as they have sampled many cars and found several cases of Legionella pneumophila.
This is the same when I wash and clean the A/C evaporator.
On many occasions, I had to first disinfect it as it was covered in really dirty debris.
Please note that some of the virus won't be killed by the IPA and some can survive on the dry surface for weeks.

Most of the time, the blockage happens at the base of the washer nozzle where the L shape plug inserted at the round rubber disc behind the nozzle.
I normally use compressed air regulated at lower setting to unblock it.

If the one way valve is blocked (not so common), then it’s quicker to replace it than trying to repair it.

Kaz

NSXGB
20-05-2014, 06:12 AM
I don't have any spare washer jet parts but I do have an air compressor if you are stuck Ian....

WhyOne?
20-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Olly, Kaz, Simon, many thanks for your help (and offer of help).

Definatley not blocked in the L shaped plug under the nozzle, it must be the valve.

So...what are the symptoms of Legionella pneumophila?!

nigel
22-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Paying HM to much for an MOT and broken / blocked windscreen washer bits.

Cheers
nigel

Nick Graves
22-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I had to strip all the lines/valves out of the 'Lude & soak them in very hot water.

I re-installed & filled the reservoir with hot water & ran it all through. It eventually got it all working fine.