PDA

View Full Version : Faulty cd changer port?

b1gbrad
10-05-2014, 03:14 PM
I have a 95 na1. I'm trying to install the grom ipd3 adapter, I have the correct HON 92 cable. I plug it in the cd port on the back of the head unit, plug my iPhone 4 to it (which should be compatible according to the instructions) and nothing happens. Is it supposed to go to cd mode or something?!?
ive also tried connecting the grom unit in the boot and reconnecting the original cd changer to the head unit. Again, nothing happens.
I've tried the Bluetooth attachment I have with it too - nothing happens, my phone does not detect a new device in range.
So is it safe to assume my cd changer port isn't working? (I don't have a changer in the boot so gave never used or tested it).

havoc
10-05-2014, 09:19 PM
If I recall correctly from a conversation with Kaz a few years ago, you need to set-up the iPod with 6 playlists - the head unit then thinks these are the 6 CDs.

If you've already done that, then apologies...don't know anything more...

L696ULO
11-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Hi

Do a search on Grom on NSXCB and go to Hondaboy dated 27 Feb 2012 a few posts down you will see the procedure I told him I use. Hopefully it will work on yours too

Rich

L696ULO
11-05-2014, 06:32 AM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9842-Grom-iPod-adapter&highlight=Grom

Here's the thread , I hope!

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-05-2014, 04:51 PM
If I recall correctly from a conversation with Kaz a few years ago, you need to set-up the iPod with 6 playlists - the head unit then thinks these are the 6 CDs. .........
Probably it’s someone else as I have never installed Grom devices in my life as you can see in the other thread linked by Rich, L696ULO.
I would be surprised if a device requires the play list pre-set in order to operate properly.

Hi, b1gbrad.
If you disconnect the Grom device and put the OEM CD changer back in place using only the factory fitted cable (up to the left side forward section of the boot for your year model) plus one additional loom came with the changer and still nothing, then there is a possibility of internal audio head unit issue presuming that your CD changer was working previously.

I have personally experienced the same/similar issue (couldn’t select CD mode but the radio and cassette features working fine) and several owners reported the same after installing the USA Spec PA11-HON iPod adaptor.
Since then, it became as my own policy not to install or connect PA11-HON without first replacing the big capacitors and strengthening the ACC line inside the head unit.
I also noticed that if the aftermarket cable came with the adaptor has the same connectors at both ends (like the one came with PA11-HON), the orientation of the loom is important.
I’m actually in the process of servicing the OEM head unit for another owner as his head unit couldn't recognise the PA11-HON and hence, couldn’t select CD mode.

Again, I don’t have any experiences with the Grom devices so hope the info from Rich will solve your issue and if not, I can always check your head unit on the bench.

Kaz

b1gbrad
12-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Once again chaps many thanks for your advise and input. But unfortuantely I still have the same problem.

I've tried 2 iphone 4s, and a last generation nano and nothing works. The Ipod simply does not recognise that it's connected to anything; no change of screen, no screen illumination, no "accessory attached" or "charging not supported on this device" or such like message on the ipod/phone.

Hi, b1gbrad.
If you disconnect the Grom device and put the OEM CD changer back in place using only the factory fitted cable (up to the left side forward section of the boot for your year model) plus one additional loom came with the changer and still nothing, then there is a possibility of internal audio head unit issue presuming that your CD changer was working previously.
Kaz

I don't have on OEM changer to try out, but I have tried the Grom using the original CD chagner loom in the boot, still nothing.

So it's either the brand new Grom unit or the head unit that's the issue - I think more than liekly it will be the latter.

I'm no expert with electronics, but fortuneatly my Dad is. I'll see if he can take a look at it for me....and possibly replace the capicators and ACC line (whatever that is) while it's out of the car.

Thanks.

WhyOne?
12-05-2014, 10:24 AM
.........I would be surprised if a device requires the play list pre-set in order to operate properly. .....

I have a USA Spec PA11-HON adapter, and the way I use it is to have 5 playlists set-up in iTunes, named HONDA1, HONDA2....HONDA5. Each of these is recognised as a 'virtual CD' by the head-unit - I thought this was how these things worked?

b1gbrad
12-05-2014, 10:40 AM
I have a USA Spec PA11-HON adapter, and the way I use it is to have 5 playlists set-up in iTunes, named HONDA1, HONDA2....HONDA5. Each of these is recognised as a 'virtual CD' by the head-unit - I thought this was how these things worked?

Looking on Prime it seems that the Grom unit (when it works) is plug and play - no need to set-up playlists.

Kaz-kzukNA1
12-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Bit off topic but for the clarification, it's the same for the USA Spec PA11-HON.
No need to setup the playlist with the specific name (HONDA1, HONDA2, HONDA3,....) in order for the adaptor to be recognised as CD mode.

In fact, there are pre-assigned CD Disc # for the 'Direct mode', 'All songs mode' and 'RCA AUX' modes on the adaptor that regardless of whether you have any playlists or not, the first time you connect the Apple device to PA11-HON, it will automatically start playing at Disc #5 or #4 depending on the DIP SW setting.

The playlist is just one of the feature of the adaptor and in the background, the adaptor will scan your Apple device for any presence of playlists and if they are named as HONDA1, HONDA2, HONDA3, ..., then they will be allocated as Disc #1, #2, #3, ... accordingly.

If less than 4 (or 3, depending on the DIP SW setting) HONDA playlists are on your device, then the adaptor will automatically fill up the rest of the playlist slots with the first available playlist on your device in alphabetical order except the adaptor won’t recognise the Apple generated default playlist such as 'On-The-Go', '90's', etc.
If you don't have any playlist at all, the adaptor will simply jump to the next CD Disc# and eventually, it will be back to Disc #5 (or #4) to simply play all songs on your device.

Hope your father can find the issue. Most of the time, it's the damaged ACC line or acid cutting through the track just under the big capacitors on the bottom board.
You can see the example in my Blog section by selecting the 'Audio' category.

Kaz

WhyOne?
12-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Bit off topic but for the clarification, it's the same for the USA Spec PA11-HON.
No need to setup the playlist with the specific name (HONDA1, HONDA2, HONDA3,....) in order for the adaptor to be recognised as CD mode.

In fact, there are pre-assigned CD Disc # for the 'Direct mode', 'All songs mode' and 'RCA AUX' modes on the adaptor that regardless of whether you have any playlists or not, the first time you connect the Apple device to PA11-HON, it will automatically start playing at Disc #5 or #4 depending on the DIP SW setting.

The playlist is just one of the feature of the adaptor and in the background, the adaptor will scan your Apple device for any presence of playlists and if they are named as HONDA1, HONDA2, HONDA3, ..., then they will be allocated as Disc #1, #2, #3, ... accordingly.

If less than 4 (or 3, depending on the DIP SW setting) HONDA playlists are on your device, then the adaptor will automatically fill up the rest of the playlist slots with the first available playlist on your device in alphabetical order except the adaptor won’t recognise the Apple generated default playlist such as 'On-The-Go', '90's', etc.
If you don't have any playlist at all, the adaptor will simply jump to the next CD Disc# and eventually, it will be back to Disc #5 (or #4) to simply play all songs on your device......
Kaz

Interesting - thanks Kaz, I didn't realise that.

I really should read the instructions on things!!!

b1gbrad
30-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Just in case anyone is interested my porblem has been solved. It was the actual GROM unit that was faulty, which they've duly replaced for me, with no hassles or agro. All now operates correctly.

Why did I assume that the Honda item wasn't work!!? Tut tut.

30-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Sweet mate! Nice to know it is working :) honda stuff rarely goes wrong !!