PDA

View Full Version : Is This Safe????

Diesse 19
09-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Battery has gone to meet its maker on the NSX so I have obtained one to fit his weekend . ( 75 quid Bracknell Honda by the way.)

I cant find the radio code in any of the books or paperwork so would it be ok to briefly connect the car via jump leads between my everyday car and the boost start points in the engine bay of the NSX whilst replacing the old battery.?
Surely this would keep power to the electrics and the radio or am I asking for trouble?

NSXGB
09-05-2014, 08:25 AM
If you have an OE radio, as far as I can remember there is no code.

britlude
09-05-2014, 08:35 AM
i had a JDM originally and a UK radio fitted in mine, neither had a radio code.

it's not like you could steal the radio and bolt it in another dash without ALOT of work!

L696ULO
09-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Definitely no code, I replaced my battery in the past year without and radio problems.

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-05-2014, 11:29 AM
The security pins on the OEM head unit (Alpine, not Bose) are not enabled/wired on our NSX so there is no radio code and hence, it’s safe to disconnect the battery from ICE point of view.

Personally, I won’t connect another car to the jump start point of the NSX while replacing the battery in case you accidentally make mistake.
You will be disconnecting both the positive and negative terminals so you need to be very careful not to let the positive terminal to touch any of the metal parts while trying to install the heavy replacement battery.
The area is very tight and the positive cable is very stiff and wants to interfere with you during the process.

If you create short circuit or accidentally reversed the polarity, it will not only blow the fuse on the NSX but also on the other car as well.
In the worst case scenario, you could have two cars stranded if you blew the main big fuse.

It would be much safer if you connect standalone small 12V battery or similar device if you want to keep the power while you are replacing the battery.

I normally don’t connect other power source while replacing the battery.
If you disconnect the battery without any axially power, you will erase any error codes stored in the controllers except for the latest ABS one and it will also erase all of the co-efficient data for the fuel mixture stored in the ECU.

Not a big problem unless you are heading for the MOT immediately afterwards as it will re-learn the data while driving through your normal driving conditions for a while.
If you want to speed up the process, just fully warm up the car by driving for a short distance, reset the ECU and re-start the engine without touching the TH or any electronics devices and let the engine to idle for about 15min.
That’s what I do after servicing the engine for the owners.

Kaz

Diesse 19
09-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Great, thanks for all your input on this guys. I was also a little concerned about the Clifford alarm fitted to the car too but seems that as Kaz says its a little bit risky to try connecting to another car battery. Mmmm.

PS It shows how much Honda UK know about the NSX, they said I would loose the radio when I disconnect the battery and there would b a 12quid charge to look up my radio code! Laughable!

nigel
10-05-2014, 10:48 PM
No codes on OEM USDM car here either.

Cheers
nigel

Nick Graves
11-05-2014, 02:04 PM
I usually use a trickle charger in order not to lose the codes, etc. Especially for something like the Legend, which as hundreds.

You only need a tiny amperage.

Diesse 19
16-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Changed the battery and it was successful. Stereo still working fine and no problems with the Clifford alarm.

As you guys said no coding needed.

Once again many thanks for the help.