PDA

View Full Version : Skipping gears up and down...the pros and cons?

TheQuietOne
09-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Hello People,

Something that I've been wondering about all the more since I got my NSX is the pros and cons (if any) to missing gears both on the way up and on the way down the box in a manual car (and specifically the NSX). I did a shed load of miles in my last car a CTR and found myself missing 2nd and 4th quite often when driving around in normal circumstances, and never really thought twice about it.

However since getting the NSX I find myself wondering if this is such a good idea - and in a similar post from someone recently (sorry I forget who) missing notchy when cold second was touched on, with James I think, saying he had seen something about this causing excess wear on the syncro. Now I have two problems with this firstly I have no understanding of how the basic mechanics of a car work ( :oops: ) and secondly this means even if this is given the all clear I won't know what it actually means!

So the purpose of this post is two fold for me, one if anyone could point me in the direction of some reading matter on basic car mechanics (I am fully aware the best way to learn would be the practical route though) and secondly for people to share their opinions on the gear skipping route up and down the box.

If anyone has read this far thanks, and I look forward to any pointers going spare...

Cheers,

Matt.

NSX 2000
09-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I can't comment on an NSX but the skipping of gears was a habbit that my mum had, (she now drives an auto), and of all her cars, some with some very high miles the gearbox and clutch were never problems!

TheQuietOne
10-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Not sure if that is supposed to make me feel better or a thinly veiled insult :wink:

Kevin
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Try looking here

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

the font of all my knowledge.

NSX 2000
10-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Not sure if that is supposed to make me feel better or a thinly veiled insult

No insult, just a comment :? .

TheQuietOne
11-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Was only joking NSX2000 (that's the problem with written sarcasm) :D

Thanks Kevin - will have a read in my spare time...

Papalazarou
21-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Just found this on Prime and thought it might be helpful.......

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50916&referrerid=13651

James.

TheQuietOne
21-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi James,

Very interesting - think I'll start using the box in a convensional manner!

Matt.