PDA

View Full Version : for those technically minded - clutch plates re-faced?

mutley
07-04-2006, 10:40 AM
HI All,

Your are all probably bored by now of me moaning on about my buggered clutch and gearbox, BUT a local garage near me say that a cheap fix is to get the clutch plates re faced rather than new ones. To me this sounds a bit like a temporary fix, and I don't see much point in all that work if it won't last.
Any ideas?

I suppose I should stop being a tight arse and shell out for the proper kit!

Cheers

Jim

P.S. A breakers near middlesborough quoted me £1650 for a gearbox, is that a reasonable price?

Kevin
07-04-2006, 10:48 AM
If you go to Honda, when replacing the clutch you will also receive, a new flywheel, new midplate, new cover, new pilot and release bearing, and the clutch plates themselves. In other words, everything. It's not possible to buy just a midplate, or just a cover.

Honda can also sell just the clutch plates, and the bearings are separate items.

If the clutch has seen some 'spirited use' or abuse, there's a good chance the midplate or fly will have some scoring. Putting new plates against these surfaces may not give good results. It could be possible to get these surfaces refinished, and a few of the aftermarket clutches do use refinished parts, as they don't make their own.

I guess you won't know if just replacing the plates is OK, until you remove the clutch, and see what condition the rest of the parts are in.

I think most here will argue, don't be tight, and maintain your car as it was meant to be maintained.

simonprelude
07-04-2006, 11:57 AM
The large cost in clutch / flywheel work is usually labour, so if you save x£ by skimming the plates then you will have to replace the clutch sooner than if you replace the discs etc.

So it will partly be a false economy, unless of course you are doing the labour your self.

blue5
07-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Mutley,

Bad luck with the clutch gearbox et al althought i hadnt realised you had gearbox problems until now.

Re surfacing a flywheel is quick and cheap about £60 or less.

Rebuilding the clutch is another matter.

I have not seen a clutch for an nsx but if it were a Tilton for example, they were designed to be rebuilt. On my race car (not and NSX) i had the pressure plate rebuilt with new fingers and bolts by grand prix racewear at silverstone and fittted a new release bearing and driven plate.

Doing this with a conventional clutch is a false economy as it has been pointed out labour costs contribute a lot and you do not want to do it again so my opinion is buy all new components and "maybe"see what condition the flywheel is in.

Keep us posted.

By the way what happened to the gearbox?

mutley
07-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Once again thanks guys, I'm off to give Honda a call and price up the kit.

simonprelude
07-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Personally I would also look at non Honda clutches.

I would not put another OEM clutch on the S2000, as for NSX, not looked into it yet, but touching wood, I won't need to for a while either :)

Once again thanks guys, I'm off to give Honda a call and price up the kit.

mutley
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
called Honda, price for complete kit, £880 + VAT ( £1034 all in)