PDA

View Full Version : NSX-R

Cory
10-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Hi all,

I've never posted here before, so I'll quickly introduce myself. My name is Cory, and I'm 17.

Consequently I have no NSX of my own, but I am still a very big NSX fan. :D

I hope my age doesn't affect your perception of me on here, as I am a member of numerous Honda forums and in the past I have found that I am treated like a child no matter how I act :roll:

However as I hope you will notice, I do behave myself and endeavour to write in a mature and accurate manner (nun ov dis txt spk nonsense), and I'm just as passionate about NSXs / Hondas / cars in general as the rest of you! :D

Back on topic to the NSX-R nature of my post-

Does anyone on here have an NSX-R yet?

Anyone ever driven one, ore even seen one on the road?

I read a while back that as part of his Formula 1 contract Jenson Button was to be given NSX-R #1... :D How jealous am I? :mrgreen:

Kevin
11-05-2004, 07:48 AM
The NSX R is unlikely to be sold in this country now. Unless someone has an imported one, and I don't know of any, there isn't one around to drive. I have pestered Honda UK for a go in the one they do have, so maybe I'll get lucky.

I know I guy in Germany that helps with the race preparation of the NSX R used for the 24hr Nurburgring race. They took the standard Type R, modified it a bit (similar to bits I am doing/done), and it was 20secs a lap faster round the 'ring.

Cory
11-05-2004, 10:17 AM
The NSX R is unlikely to be sold in this country now.

That's a great shame. :( Although, it would have been out of my price range anyway :P :oops:

I haven't actually made enquiries on this topic since the latter months of last year when I was talking to the salesman at my local Honda garage. I was looking forward to maybe seeing some NSX-Rs on the road this Spring, although to be honest, I doubted that I ever would... :?

I've only ever seen two ordinary NSXs on the road, not that the NSX is an ordinary car, mind... :D

And a 20 second per lap improvement - :twisted:

DamianW
11-05-2004, 10:52 AM

Hmm, thats not what was being suggested at Combe you know. And several car mags reckon the type R is coming our way.

Cory
11-05-2004, 11:13 AM

Hmm, thats not what was being suggested at Combe you know. And several car mags reckon the type R is coming our way.

Yeah, from all the magazines I've been reading, the impression I get is that the NSX-R will be coming to these shores... 8)

Then again, it was supposed to on sale here by now (I was told Spring 2004) and would anyone really be surprised if Honda did decide not to import it for sale in the UK? :(

UltraViolet
11-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Given how long it can take them to fetch over 1 new car that the customer has already paid a healthy deposit on - the NSX-R being a year late perhaps is no surprise........

However - given they are showing the 'new NSX' at the motorshow - I doubt many people would be buying the car that although we all love it - it has been around and is largely unchanged for 13/14 years now ...... the design etc was all done in the '80s

So despite me being told the NSX-R was coming - I personally wouldn't hold your breath - it doesn't make financial sense.

trackdemon
11-05-2004, 01:35 PM
It certainly doesn't make financial sense, but then again the NSX never made financial sense anyway. Considering all of our cars actually cost Honda circa 100k + to build (factoring in cost of materials, factory, testing, design etc) I'd say we're driving huge bargains!

Anyway, I have been told by one dealer that the NSX-R will be coming next spring as a send off to the current NSX... However I have it on good authority that it may be here sooner (from another non-dealer source). As in this year. We shall see!

Kevin
11-05-2004, 05:26 PM

Funny, 'cos that was the Honda guy at Coombe was saying. He didn't say it was a no, just unlikely. Or maybe he was lowering my expectations, to add impact?

He did say a lot of things that make the Type R what is may not make it to the UK spec car.

Cory
11-05-2004, 10:03 PM
He did say a lot of things that make the Type R what is may not make it to the UK spec car.

Thats a shame :(

Did he elaborate on any specific details?

jaytip
12-05-2004, 02:28 PM
I know I guy in Germany that helps with the race preparation of the NSX R used for the 24hr Nurburgring race. They took the standard Type R, modified it a bit (similar to bits I am doing/done), and it was 20secs a lap faster round the 'ring.
can you elaborate on that.the NSX-R is already quite a bit lighter than stock,so to take that much time off a lap you would have to be talking forced induction.when you consider that a bog standard NSX done the 'ring in about 8min,15sec and the NA2 type-r did it in 7mins,56 sec around the full length of the track, which is what, 11 miles?

Kevin
12-05-2004, 07:18 PM
You will need to seach NSXPRIME. The posts are by Detlef Welsch / Procar Specials.

Detlef is actually a demon fast driver too. His own NSX, which has been modified by a few things can also lap the 'ring in around 8mins with him at the wheel.

jaytip
12-05-2004, 08:53 PM
the reason im asking is because you stated "things that i'm doing/done".
im curious as to what it is that you have done/are going to do.i spoke to you saturday and you told me that your car is approx 2800lbs which is a good weight saving.i know that you have changed the seats and removed the spare but we didnt get into anymore detail than that.
i have a set of split rims on my car which are quite a bit heavier than stock.i know that i can pull some of the weight gain off by removing the spare but i am wondering how extreme you have to be to shed a couple of hundred lbs.
Ivor.

Kevin
12-05-2004, 09:35 PM
remember i have a 92. It would also be more accurate to say my car weighed 2853 lbs. Take a look in the photo gallery, Darren has a pic of his weighing session.

I have no power steering, small brakes, TEIN suspension. Also when the Targa was introduced, some panels were thickened, like the bulkhead etc. I believe they made all the cars with the thicker panels, coupe and targa. I will be changing the exhaust, for a custom special item from 'Kev's Workshops', and losing the cats.

ctrlaltdelboy
13-05-2004, 10:20 AM
I thought Ivor's (Jaytip's) was a 92 too?

p.s. my weight last March with half a tank of fuel was 1331kg or 2928lbs - since then I have added the harness bar and changed the seats (http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77), changed the battery (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/other_stuff/odyssey680.cfm?focus=51) and cats (for decats (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/boy_racer/Dali_cat_pipes.cfm?focus=819)) so the net result is probably a small further reduction. In June the a/c will be coming out but any weight saving there will be offset by the installation of the accusump (http://accusump.com/acc_products/acc_units.html) so I'll probably still be around the same weight as before.

Kevin
13-05-2004, 12:04 PM
I thought Ivor's (Jaytip's) was a 92 too?

I say that in case Ivor was comparing to a new car, or Targa from the US.

ctrlaltdelboy
13-05-2004, 12:47 PM
if you are after info of how much weight can be shed by losing or changing various parts then these links may be useful:

NSXPrime weights section (http://nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/weightreduction.htm)

Dali Racing Matrix (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/info/weight_loss/weight_loss_cost_matrix.cfm)

Welshman
24-05-2004, 12:50 PM
[quote="ctrlaltdelboy"]I thought Ivor's (Jaytip's) was a 92 too?

p.s. my weight last March with half a tank of fuel was 1331kg or 2928lbs -

I found trying to establish how much the car weighed difficult since you see so many weights quoted. I gave up and took mine down to the council weighbridge where, with a full tank of fuel, it weighed 1370 kg. That would equate to a weight with no fuel - a real dry weight - of c.1325kg.

trackdemon
24-05-2004, 05:13 PM
And I imagine it would be fair to suggest the earlier model may be A LITTLE lighter... perhaps just cracking the 1300kg barrier? Thats pretty good considering what the car comes equipped with....

Cory
24-05-2004, 11:10 PM
If any of you guys are registered on Honda-R you'll be able to check this out:

http://forum.hondarevolutions.com/viewtopic.php?t=31143

for those not registered on Honda-R:

NSX-R
ne one got the new issue of *** performance?

that lil' article in the begining,

they saying they bringing the NSX Type-R into the UK...

woo hoo.. started saving already

I haven't read the magazine myself, but this sounds like promising news! :D

(for those that can afford it anyway! :P )