PDA

View Full Version : Glass colour

Senninha
27-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Knowledgeable friends, can you help please?

98 Targa with top tint OEM screen and I need to replace it due to a crack.

Local glass company is asking the following;

- is it Green with Green Top tint
- is it Blue with Blue Top tint
- is it Green with Blue Top tint

I'm not near the car for a couple of days hence reaching out for someone who is near to theirs.

More concerning is that they also tell me 2 of 3 are no longer in production!?

Thanx in advance

Paul

AR
27-03-2014, 10:02 PM

I'm not near the car for a couple of days hence reaching out for someone who is near to theirs.

Thanx in advance

Paul

Paul, I know you'll want it to be as it was, but if the availability is limited then I would say go with what is available. More than likey the none available parts will be for the older NA1 cars.

This thread might help:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/25011-Different-windshields

britlude
27-03-2014, 10:34 PM

Thanx in advance

Paul

if 2 of the 3 are not in production, then that's the choice made! i'd like one at some point as mine is peppered in chips, let me know what you find out!

i do remember Dirk advertised one not so long ago...

edit.... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?11611-Brandnew-OEM-Front-glass-windshield-for-sale-(-Bargain-rare-to-find-)

Kaz-kzukNA1
27-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Hi, Paul.

As far as I know, NSX started with blue with blue top.

When NA2 engine was introduced on the market in 1997, it started using the so called green glass.
I think the later models are using the green with green top but not sure about the top colour at the time of NA2 introduction.

For your year model, the OEM code is 73111-SL0-E10.
It’s not just the glass but also includes the SRS caution label for the child seat.
The colour is green but again, not sure about the top colour.
Once you are back, you can double check the colour of the Eng Hatch glass.

I don't know whether you can source it in Europe or not but in Japan, most of the owners are going for the aftermarket glass called ‘Coolverre’ from Asahi Glass.
It’s the same manufacture sourcing all of the glass for our NSX.

Coolverre will cut almost 99% of the UV ray and it has even better performance in reducing the cabin temperature than the OEM one.
Unlike similar feature on the glass from other manufactures, Coolverre will allow the GHz GPS signal wave to pass through itself so your sat nav still works while cutting the UV ray.

Kaz

britlude
03-09-2014, 10:47 PM
revisiting this thread.... just started the long and patient process of getting a new screen as i've finally topped the 'permitted stone chip tally'!

my insurance will only replace with the original supplied, so although i have a blue top tint glass, they will only replace with a non-top tinted as the car didn't come with one (they don't have my chassis number, so not sure how they could be certain!!)

so while i was at honda today, i got them to check my chassis number (JDM so it's a short one) and their computer said it was just a plain blue with no top tint.... :(

oh well, i'll just have to have a plain one then! the insurance is paying, and is having to get it from Honda, expected the end of December!!!

i checked my SSC pics, and all but one had top tint! i'll just have to sort a 'JON SARAH' sunstrip :)

Silver Surfer
03-09-2014, 11:29 PM
I recently had the 95 black NSX windscreen changed due to a large crack and the insurance cover was with Autoglass and they sourced a genuine green top tint glass in 3 weeks (there was no aftermarket available) and also included the top moulding strip all for £75..... I was well happy.

SS

NSXGB
04-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Can you not offer to pay the difference Jon? I think Dirk had a brand new one for sale a while back but not sure whether it had a tint or not.

mutley
04-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Can you not offer to pay the difference Jon? I think Dirk had a brand new one for sale a while back but not sure whether it had a tint or not.

Beat me to it, I was going to suggest that.

Jim

NSXGB
04-09-2014, 01:01 PM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?11611-Brandnew-OEM-Front-glass-windshield-for-sale-(-Bargain-rare-to-find-)

One year ago though...

britlude
04-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Already looked at that option!!! Tis green top so chances are its green tint too so won't match door glass.... Anyway, gotta go with the insurers choice as they are paying for it :)

It'll be a shiny new Honda one that Autoglass will be fitting.... :D

Kaz-kzukNA1
04-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Hi, Jonathan.

Looked to be already sorted so not much help but since you own the same JDM NSX as mine, it left the factory with the blue tinted glass with blue half shaded top section.
OEM Parts No. 73111-SL0-000.

Your NSX is probably NA1-100 or NA1-110 type and mine is NA1-120 one.

Above glass spec was used on all models including NA1 Type-R upto and including NA1-130 models.
In 1997, with the intriduction of NA1-140 and NA2-100 models, it switched to the Green one.

In Japan, MOT is very strict and you are not allowed to put any dark colour/sticker/etc covering more than 20% area of the front windshield.
For this reason, the official NSX spec document in Japanese clearly states that it has coloured section (half shade) on the windshield.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7RfSKy0JgKI/VAhJVoZLJnI/AAAAAAAAUJI/VN9U7Xai7uQ/s800/img_003.jpg
This is the photo from the Japanese brocher.
It includes one NSX with the optional 16/17 wheel combo from 1994 model (I opted for this option) but the rest of the models in the photo were the same ones in the original brocher released in 1990/1991.
It may not be easy to see in this photo but you can see the half shaded top section.

The clear top section glass is much cheaper than the half shaded one ........

Kaz

Silver Surfer
04-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Already looked at that option!!! Tis green top so chances are its green tint too so won't match door glass.... Anyway, gotta go with the insurers choice as they are paying for it :)

It'll be a shiny new Honda one that Autoglass will be fitting.... :D

Just speak to Autoglass directly once your insurers refer you to them...they will give you the option of what glass you want.
Autoglass at Chelmsford, Essex did mine and they needed the car in their workshop as they didn't want to do it by the roadside/drive etc due to the age and type of car it is.

SS

britlude
04-09-2014, 04:17 PM
thanks for that Kaz, mine is indeed a NA1-100, definitely an early one!

i did question the top tint, and why I double checked at my local Honda dealer with my chassis number....but I'll take whatever they give me really!

Autoglass did say there were none available..... anywhere...... globally!

no doubt the non top-tint glass is cheaper, but G&M Honda quoted £740 + vat for that one against my chassis number...! we'll see what turns up, all part of the adventure!

it's just frustrating when you find this on rockauto....

postage is the killer though even with the cheaper option!!!!

Part
Price
Quantity
Total

1992 ACURA NSX 3.0L V6 (https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1000854)

Body-Exterior : Windshield Glass (https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1000854&parttype=6512)

VARIOUS MFR # FW00671N Does Not Include Attachment (Only 1 Remaining) Color: Blue Tint/Blue Shade
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/images/us.gif (https://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/answers.html#flags) https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/images/ca.gif (https://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/answers.html#flags) 2 Door Coupe
Part is designed for US, CA Market vehicles

£102.56

£102.56

Subtotal
£102.56

Shipping (https://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/answers.html#SHIPPINGCOST) : International Economy https://www.rockauto.com/Images/CarrierFedEx.gif (5 to 6 business days, You should receive by September 15) from United States

Shipping
£786.02

VAT (# GB 922956503 000)

£177.72

Please allow one business day for our warehouse to process your order, plus transit time for selected shipping method, plus any delay shown above for non-stock items or outlying warehouses, before expecting your order to arrive. "Receive by" dates are best estimates considering these factors but are not guaranteed.

Total
£1,066.30
($1,754.93)

britlude
04-09-2014, 04:33 PM
my insurers 'glass repair hotline' is direct to autoglass, they didn't mention 'upgrading' when i said mine was top-tint, just insisted that the insurer would only pay for/replace with a non top tint as the car didn't have one originally.... checked with honda against my chassis number, came back as just blue, no top tint mentioned.

probably autoglass saving money after all the other NSX claims recently ;) and Honda not checking the right database!

i might get a nice sunstrip with something classy on it, or maybe something like this....

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqMOKpoE4mf2BHMZBOWjN+r48Q~~60_12.JPG

.....would this mean i'd get the SSC honda hospitality facility to myself??? ;) lol

lotusolly
04-09-2014, 05:53 PM
my insurers 'glass repair hotline' is direct to autoglass, they didn't mention 'upgrading' when i said mine was top-tint, just insisted that the insurer would only pay for/replace with a non top tint as the car didn't have one originally.... checked with honda against my chassis number, came back as just blue, no top tint mentioned.

probably autoglass saving money after all the other NSX claims recently ;) and Honda not checking the right database!

i might get a nice sunstrip with something classy on it, or maybe something like this....

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqMOKpoE4mf2BHMZBOWjN+r48Q~~60_12.JPG

.....would this mean i'd get the SSC honda hospitality facility to myself??? ;) lol

Does the view out the front come with it? If so i'll start the big group buy off :)

Rdevelopments
05-09-2014, 03:01 PM
A friend of mine makes heated windshields for race and rally use (the company i used to work for sells polycarbonate windows for race and rallying hence the connection).
After reading this thread and being in contact with him he has offered me to make NSX windscreens, thing is it would be a minimum of 4 off, they can do;

Green Tinted
Green Tinted with Green Top
Green Tinted with Blue Top
Clear

All have to be bought in 5 off, seeing the glass is getting rare as hens teeth i'm considering having 5 Green tinted with green top made.
The glass will have all markings it needs to be road legal and will be of good optical quality (not the "star glass spain" quality)

If i can get 3 others interested i'm happy to take the plunge, the costs would be around £ 200,00 plus vat per screen.
They can be ready Mid December.

Regards Bas

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-09-2014, 03:33 PM
At the same time, it would be nice if someone can confirm the colour combination as in OP.

Up to 96 models, I'm quite sure it was blue glass with blue top.
Then the green glass was introduced and it was used on all models up to the final production model year but not sure about the top colour.....

I saw green glass with blue top on several NSX that were around 2002 models.

So, the questions are, what is the combination on 97+ models (green glass with *** top) and the one on the very late models such as 2005 one (green glass with *** top)?

Kaz

britlude
14-12-2014, 04:43 PM
after 3 months waiting i should be getting the screen fitted tomorrow..... I reported the screen chips on the 9th september, told the screen was available after 5th of december!!! lucky it was just chips and not a big crack... that might have been a problem if i had come across MOT time!

it's being done at my place, as autoglass like their mobile option now... rumour has it, (i get to hear so many rumours!!!) they are going to be going purely mobile, closing their fitting depots as they are losing sooooo much money lately!

i shall report later as to how it went, and what screen i ended up with!

Senninha
14-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Based on my own experience of same organisation, install is straight forward with the fitter saying "its a Honda, no special requirements, albeit a rather special Honda"

I was told (by info on their computer) I'd get a blue screen with no top tint, complete opposite of what I had. I received a green screeen with top tint, exactly what I had previously!

Hope you have the same success Jonathan

Kaz-kzukNA1
14-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Good luck with the upper molding and the fastener.......

Kaz

britlude
14-12-2014, 08:32 PM
got a spare upper moulding if they don't supply one, and the fastener was fresh earlier this year.....

fingers crossed! i'll take pics!

britlude
15-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Been called into depot... Apparently decided its a 2 man job, so less photo opportunities :(

Dragonlady
15-12-2014, 09:44 AM
They just don't want you to see them kneeling on your bonnet to fit the screen!

britlude
15-12-2014, 05:13 PM
When I say less photo opportunities, I mean none!!! Anyway, I have a shiny new screen supplied from Honda with a nice blue top tint!!! They also fitted new top trim and retainer :)

Apparently their insurance prevented me from being there to take pics, the fitter also forget to call me when the glass was out. The waiting area had a window overlooking the shop floor and my car, which would have been nice had a Autoglass fitters van not been parked in front of it!!!

I couldn't go out on the shop floor for pics, but I could go out to remove the side trims as he didn't want to bend them. I discovered many moons ago that if the trims have been off for any reason, the foam seal doesn't seal anymore, and water finds its way behind the rubbers and the car suffers from constant condensation!!! Obviously the foam isn't available separately (thanks Honda) so I sealed them with a small bead of gutter sealer, DON'T use silicone, you'll never get the trims off again!!! Its a bitumastic rubber stuff that doesn't set so firm or stick to the panel as effectively as silicone would... The fitter temporarily refitted the side trims so I could reseal at home :)