PDA

View Full Version : Over sized front tyres

OPT
05-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi, I've just (stupidly)changed my front tyres from 225/35/18 to 215/40/18. The result is that the tyres are now touching the inside bit of the car (not the arch) when they're at full-lock (actually they started to touch when i turn the steering wheel just over one turn). The left tyre touches the car when i turn left and the other way round with the right.
So i just wondering has anyone done this and can this damage the car? If its serious then i might have to buya new set and change them back. Advice PLEASE! Cheers.

simonprelude
05-04-2006, 12:03 PM
The tyres must have been very close before, that should only give an 8mm deeper tyre, whilst being 10mm narrower. So with the curvature of the inner wing etc I would be worried that they have either not been fitted properly (doubtful) or that the tyres are different makes also and the sizing from the 2 manufacturers is 'different'.

I would not be happy with them, how often do you use anywhere near full lock though, will be lots of ££ to change. But at the risk of doing damage to the car, even the inner wings, I would be changing them.

Hi, I've just (stupidly)changed my front tyres from 225/35/18 to 215/40/18. The result is that the tyres are now touching the inside bit of the car (not the arch) when they're at full-lock (actually they started to touch when i turn the steering wheel just over one turn). The left tyre touches the car when i turn left and the other way round with the right.
So i just wondering has anyone done this and can this damage the car? If its serious then i might have to buya new set and change them back. Advice PLEASE! Cheers.

duncan
05-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Fit a spacer shim to push the wheel and rim out, or relieve the inner wing with a hammer?
As standard Morgans fit a rubbing block of alluminum at the point where the tyre meets the chassis when on lock, its not hi tech but they do have a dispensation for MoT tests.

ctrlaltdelboy
05-04-2006, 12:49 PM
just 'dress' the inner surface with a hammer until there is no more fouling, then give it a spray with some of that black underbody stuff.

sorted

question: why are you running 18" fronts anyway? :?

simonprelude
05-04-2006, 01:56 PM
With Morgan are you sure it's not wood, most of the car seems to be :)

Fit a spacer shim to push the wheel and rim out, or relieve the inner wing with a hammer?
As standard Morgans fit a rubbing block of alluminum at the point where the tyre meets the chassis when on lock, its not hi tech but they do have a dispensation for MoT tests.

OPT
05-04-2006, 08:09 PM
question: why are you running 18" fronts anyway? :?

It just that i bought the car with 18" wheels on it :)

ctrlaltdelboy
05-04-2006, 09:40 PM
I see

what make & model wheels are they?

are they 18" front and rear

what widths are they?

Rob_Fenn
06-04-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure he has the Works wheels.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior%5Fperformance%5Fproducts/NSX/Work/single%2Dpiece/

OPT
06-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I see

what make & model wheels are they?

are they 18" front and rear

what widths are they?

They r WORK wheels, 7.5 and 9.5