PDA

View Full Version : Goodwood FoS 2014

nobby
21-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Hoping to attend this, year ... The new NSX makes it more interesting aside from that this will be the first time I attend such a car festival of size etc.

will be taking my NSX over and likely attend the fri and sat. Will also park in the super car section.

hope to meet up with some of you ... Finally

britlude
21-03-2014, 10:37 PM
tips.. get there early! good walking shoes

find a hotel north or east of chichester, we stayed west last year and got stuck in horrendous traffic around the chichester bypass! (if you've got a hotel west/south then leave it early!) we stayed in Southsea Portsmouth, we left at 7.30ish and eventually got to the supercar parking at 10.45!!! and that was with some back-laning to get out of the jam!

traffic from the east is far smoother and controlled!

oh, and take a california duster, the access road to the supercar parking gets dusty if dry! (here's hoping!)

nobby
21-03-2014, 11:09 PM
thanks for the info Jonathan
what days are u attending?

britlude
21-03-2014, 11:29 PM
hopefully saturday, spending too much money on attending the members meeting (on the waiting liist!) to do any more days at the fos!!!

stay late saturday (from 7.00-8.00ish) you can see the rich and famous arriving at the ball, always good for a laugh, especially if Ron Dennis arrives and there's no lackie to park his car so goes off in a huff!

Sudesh
22-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Going to make it this year too, looking forward to it, missed the chance last year. I'd be looking for a hotel that real close, any recommendations?

WhyOne?
22-03-2014, 11:03 AM
As Jonathan says, the best piece of advice for the FoS is to get there early - I am generally parked up by 6:45. That way you can enjoy the drive in with lots of other interesting cars, but not have to spend half of the day in a queue accessing the car parks. If you are using the Supercar parking you will (after a long drive along a dusty track) will be parked to the rear of the F1 pits so very handy for access. Try to orietate yourself - it really is a huge site.

First thing, try to get to the paddocks which will get busy later.....mainly the Supercar Enclosure (everything in the F1 paddock will still be packed away). After a mooch around the Supercars, dive into Cathedra Paddock - this is hidden away, but v. close to the Supercars and the Syle et Luxe - and tends to be the pit area which provides most of the cars for the early runs, so it is a hive of activity early in the day.

Get to know the timing and order of the car 'batches' (and be aware that timings often go a little awry as the day progresses) - try to get to the turning area below the startline (just keep following the road - you will actually leave the FoS, and get need a stamp on your hand to allow re-entry) 10 mins or so before the rally cars and F1 cars - you will be 5 yards from the cars as the spin turn and....errr...get a little heat into the tyres!

Take time out to get to the top of the hill - ~30 minute walk from the Molecomb area - always interesting seeing the cars and drivers congregate at the top and this is where the F1 drivers often engage in some hoonery. Once at the top of the hill, you'll have access to the rally pits and the rally course....which is worth 1/2 day all on its own!

nobby
22-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Great info!
cheers

just need to sort out a few details this week and should be ready to pull the trigger in booking this

britlude
22-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Going to make it this year too, looking forward to it, missed the chance last year. I'd be looking for a hotel that real close, any recommendations?

hmmm... to be honest, ANY hotel that still has a room! everything, and i mean everything gets booked up really early! B&Bs prices double and they even ship out children to free up more beds! you'll start the search close to chichester and slowly but surely expand out til you find somewhere, i just recommend hotels to north and east of goodwood for a less stressy journey in!

and don't worry about getting there early and thinking the day will drag or you'll be bored at any point... there's so much going on that won't happen! plus plenty of food and drink outlets, good variety too, not just burgers and chips!

don't do what we did last year and hike to the top/rally stage just in time for the lunchtime break, and also missed the most of the vulcan display while we were walking up there in the trees!

just booked for saturday, with the very short walk parking option :)

WhyOne?
22-03-2014, 03:14 PM
The drive from where I live near East Grinstead takes 50-60 mins if you are up and running before 6....and it is a fun drive along the A264, often in the company of some exceptional cars, so I certainly wouldn't worry about being ~50 mies away from Goodwood, but as Jonathan suggests, aim for somewhere north and/or east.

SILVER BULLET
23-03-2014, 08:22 PM
If you don't mind camping the Lakeside campsite at Chichester run by Park Holidays is very close and convenient to Goodwood ,and as has been said an early start is advisable , we leave the site about 6-30am and are parked up at 6-45am.
With the new NSX plus Loeb challenging the hill record it will be a great year to visit, we will be there all 4 days this year.
Enjoy

Sudesh
24-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Can you park a motorhome up there?

If you don't mind camping the Lakeside campsite at Chichester run by Park Holidays is very close and convenient to Goodwood ,and as has been said an early start is advisable , we leave the site about 6-30am and are parked up at 6-45am.
With the new NSX plus Loeb challenging the hill record it will be a great year to visit, we will be there all 4 days this year.
Enjoy

WhyOne?
24-03-2014, 01:27 PM
It is always one of the first things to sell-out for the FoS, but there are camping facilities with electical hook-up available on site:
http://www.goodwood.co.uk/festival-of-speed/staying-over/camping.aspx

I have camped (in a tent) a few time at the FoS and being there overnight allows you a/ to have a few beers and b/ to see the spectacular show they put on in front of Goodwood House as part of the ball.

britlude
24-03-2014, 05:20 PM
looks like the main campsite with electic hook-up is sold out already! £160 without, up to 4 people...campsite E tickets are available that has a shuttle to the event, £210 with hook up

rkanaga
04-06-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm planning to attend on the Thursday with my 1991 NSX in tow. How do you get access to the Supercar parking btw (and is it operational on the Thursday?)

thanks

Robin

britlude
04-06-2014, 11:04 AM
supercar parking tickets have to be bought at the Goodwood ticket office... Online or phone! You'll find out How much and if it's running on the Thursday there....

WhyOne?
04-06-2014, 11:20 AM
No Supercar parking for Thursday.

nobby
23-06-2014, 07:05 PM
so who all will be there fri and sat?
hope to get meeting some of you for the 1st time if attending

SILVER BULLET
23-06-2014, 08:20 PM

We are there all 4 days, leaving home for our camp site Wednesday morning, pm me if you want my mobile number,

Cheers,

Ian

lotusolly
23-06-2014, 10:07 PM

I shall be there on the Friday. What time are people looking to arrive?

Have you got your parts fitted to your car Andrew?

Olly

nobby
24-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Hi Olly

Unfortunately the rear vallance will not be ready in time, it has been primed etc and ready for painting but thats it. :(

The NSX-R undertray etc was always going to be a winter project for 2014.

I am hoping to have the new set of wheels on (Prodrive), they are nearly ready after their refurb. Hopefully get tyres sorted tomorrow.
Sudesh's NSX-R spoiler project wll be on for inspection - it is in protoype form at this stage

The car will be in the Supercar parking area for the Fri and Saturday.

I hit the road on Sunday for ferry home.

nobby
24-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Ian

No bother will ping u a PM

my car will be in the SuperCar parking area for the fri and Sat ... an NSX deserves to be in there! :)

We are there all 4 days, leaving home for our camp site Wednesday morning, pm me if you want my mobile number,

Cheers,

Ian

britlude
24-06-2014, 06:39 PM
i'll be there on Saturday, supercar parking for me too :)