PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this before

sportyking
04-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Soon after I bought my car last December, I noticed a creaking sound when going over bumps that affected both sides of the car simultaneously.

It came from behind the rear view mirror so I started giving the windscreen a tap along the top edge and I got that different sound that suggested the screen was not correctly fitted/bonded in the middle at the top.

Off round the local dealer (Newton Honda Croydon) I went.
"Oh no sir, it's an NSX" they say, "take it back where you bought it"
It's only a bloody windscreen I point out. They then sent me to their preferred autoglass company who got an engineer to look at the car. He prodded and poked around but saw no value in my simple test and then pronounced the screen correctly fitted, and the trim was causing the noise.

I come from a lifetime of being around the car trade, but somehow allowed myself to be convinced by the expert and had put up with this occasional creaking ever since.

Today my Sister returned sith the car (I am on an Easter holiday duties with kids and a people carrier to guarantee a kid free Easter ring trip), and announced the screen had just cracked in the bottom corner. 10 inches all in one go and with absolutely no provocation.
I know my sister well and suffice to say you don't put family on your insurance without a lot of trust ,so I believe nothing happened to help it along.

I am certain this has something to do with the screen fitting, but don't yet know if it's the original or not.

Anyone had an experience of problems like this?
The windscreen guys will be looking in the next few days

blue5
04-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Yes i have but not the creaking part.

I got a cracked windscreen and had it replaced by the experts and a few days later it started leaking.

The experts then took the car to their depot and removed said screen breaking it and scratching the paintwork.

It appeared i had had the last glass in the UK and had to wait 10 days for it to be replaced.

When i collected the car yet more scratches on the paintwork.

It took some weeks to get satisfaction but satisfaction was achieved.

My advice is make sure the seals around the inside (i think as it was a while ago) are replaced as the old ones do not work having been disturbed, that and poor attention to detail was the cause of the leak in the first place which brings me to the point, perhaps the screen on your car had been recently or badly replaced.

Good luck and do not let the car out of your sight when they are fitting the glass.

simonprelude
04-04-2006, 08:48 PM
After seeing things on prime recently there appears to be certain items of hardware that need replacing when a windscreen is replaced.

Possible I suppose ??

sportyking
04-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Cheers Simon/Blue5, I will take a look on Prime and be sure to interview mr windscreen fitter before trusting the work to him.

Come to think of it I know a windscreen fitter, so I'll have a word with him about it.

markc
05-04-2006, 11:29 AM
W.R.T the windscreen fitter, more often than not it'll be Autoglass who come out to do the work and you're at the mercy of one particular individual. He may have work on several NSX's and be brilliant.... but probably or not? :?

If it's Autoglass you have the option to take the car to one of their centres where they have better facilities, equipment and skills to ensure the best possible job.

I know there's one in Bracknell (Berks) but I'd have thought there must be others?

My advice would be make sure they have the screen in stock, take the car in person to the fitting centre and see if you can have a chat with one of their senior fitters to give yourself confidence that they understand unique challenges of an NSX screen.
This probably your best chance of getting a perfect job. 8)

Cheers

Mark

sportyking
05-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Screen is being done by National Windscreens at their Morden Depot tomorrow.

Only Honda seem to supply the screens, so quality of parts will not be an issue. Honda are delivering the screen tomorrow and I am then taking the car in. I will be very inquisitive, even if I know the answers :wink:

One of my mates is an autoglass fitter. Had it been them I would have offered to take the car to Portsmouth for the work. He gets all their tricky jobs, a lot of which seem to be putting right other (Autoglass) fitters mistakes.