PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen wiper noise

FRM70
03-04-2006, 09:54 PM
I have been driving in very heavy rain on the motorway and when I put my wipers on the very fast speed I get a loud knocking on the drivers side when the blade reaches the A pillar , it is like it is catching on the edge of the windshield.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem or know what I should adjust to correct this :?:

Thanks for any help

FRM 70

kowalski
03-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I had this problem once, blade was hitting the A pillar, had it adjusted by Honda but only lasted a few months before wiper motor failed, somehow motor & linkage slipped and blades went out of synch. There are internal limit switches which failed on mine, they cannot be replaced individually so have to change motor assembly.

Best get it checked out in case it is wiper motor problem, cost over £200 to fix a few years back, although could just be wiper blade loose on spline shaft.

leigh

Mr_Spanners
03-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Most likely cause is the balljoint on the push-arm is worn (this is the bar that adjoins the motor to the wiper arm). Hold you breath before getting a quote off Honda though .... I had the same problem years ago with a 'mere' Prelude and the Honda stealer wanted over £100!

HTH

~Phil.

FRM70
04-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the replies, my car is still under 3yr warranty so I think I will get it checked out in case it needs some work.

Cheers

FRM70

simonprelude
04-04-2006, 07:57 AM
I had the same on the Integra a few weeks ago, new wipers sorted the problem.

ctrlaltdelboy
04-04-2006, 08:37 AM
mine does the same thing

Mr_Spanners
04-04-2006, 10:10 AM
The first thing to check is whether you have the correct sized wipers and that they are fitted correctly. Once this has been checked the only thing that can fail (as such) between the wiper motor and the wiper arm is the ball joint on the connecting rod. There's nothing else that could cause the wiper to travel too far and hit the a-pillar!

The downside is you'll need to remove the large plastic cowelling at the base of the windscreen to check this out :shock: :(

~Phil.

sportyking
04-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Mine does it. The previous owner warned me this was the only fault he knew of. It only happens above 100mph. I am never going that fast on a public road in the wet so it is of no real concern to me :D

Have checked the sweep and linkage play, all seems fine. Could it be the aerodynamics playing a part ???