PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

AR
10-05-2004, 10:21 AM
OK lads I am new to this forum and hoping to buy an NSX in the next 18 months ( Missu's Amazon will be paid off :D ) or less if the "right" deal comes along. :D :twisted:

I have already read some of the post here and at Prime.

The strange thing is that I've never really onsidered buying an NSX until 2 weeks ago. :?:

I had seen the car at the dealer's lot for a while I think. Only two weks ago as I came out of the Halfords next to the dealer in one of the worst storms we had in days that I decided to take a closer look.

I was hooked :!: My wife was with me at the time and she did not know how exclusive the NSX was, but she liked it.

We decided to come back another day to check out the car.

Well :evil: what a dissapointment.

I went in the office and asked the salesman a few questions. He was uninterested. I was dressed properly and so was my wife. We drove in a 40K 4X4. We were very polite and corteus to him. All he said was:

Car is P reg 58 thousand miles, just service a few months ago.

When I asked if I could have a look at the car. He said is open, just go have a look.

Anyway, the last time I saw the car is was covered in rain. Well this day it was a lovely Sunny and Breeze Cardiff day.

Well, the paint at the front looked a bit too new to me. Further inspection revealed that it was repaired in the passenger side of the front bumper and the repair was less than perfect.

The top area was Sun burned.

The brakes looked rusted solid.

The armrest was at a weird angle that looked as if it was broken.

There was what looked like and oil or some other fluid leak underneath the area where the drivetrain is.

To top it of it was locked.

I felt like going back in the office calling him a few names, but I restrained myself, thanked him and politely informed him that his car had been in a bump at some point.

He looked at me as if I was lying, and said that the car was clear.

I just replied, that it was fine but not for me and left.

In a way I am glad that this idiot did not take the time to show us around the car. If I have had a chance to look inside, and he would have hidden all bad points ( as most good used car dealers do ) I will probably be stuck with that turd and pulling what little hairs I have left.

So now " WE " have decided to take our time and look for one that suits our wants :lol:

Looking forward to hanging out here and learning as much as I can from you lads.

BTW my previous love affair with *** cars was my 1992 twin turbo 300ZX that I had from 1994 to 1999.

So I am hoping that when I buy my NSX it will live up to what the 300 was.

jaytip
12-05-2004, 02:39 PM
i took a look at that car myself(yellow with a black roof right?).
i thought the same as you.i only went in to see what sort of condition it was in because i already own one and even though mine is six years older with almost double the milage i wouldn't have done a straight swap even if he offered.
i was in the girlfriends 1.2 clio at the time,so i didnt make his car look worse than it is. :D

Ivor

BrownBear
12-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Hi - sorry to hear that wasn't for you, but as almost everyone here will say you need to look very long and hard at some of the cars out there..

I hear there may be a couple of people (not me!) that may be interested in selling their NSX's - so maybe if you ask on the list you may get a lead.

If you choose the right one, you'll be extremely happy with it - the difficult thing is *not* buying the first one you test drive as you will fall in love - well I did anyway... It should be everything the 300ZX was and more :)

Best of luck in your search,
Regards
Joe
PS: Between us, Ivor and I could probably give you a run down of most of the NSXs recently for sale!

jaytip
12-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi Joe,hows things.did you enjoy castle combe?i have a favour to ask you. the next time we get together is there any chance you could take me for a quick spin in your car with the roof off(weather pending of course). iwould like to see what the buffeting is like so that i can make a decision on whether to save for a t-top or stick with what i have.
cheers,
Ivor.

BrownBear
13-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Ivor - you have a pm

cheers
Joe

AR
13-05-2004, 03:59 PM
i took a look at that car myself(yellow with a black roof right?).
Ivor

Yep same car, BTW it seems that either they sold it or someone is using it because I have not seen it there the last couple of days.

Joe I knew it will be hard to find the right one, but how glad am I that I discovered this board and primeNSX, otherwise I would have overlooked certain aspects of the car.

I will keep on saving and hopefully the nice NSXs will not have that much more miles in the near future and I will be able to buy a better car, like the ad for my favorite drink:

" Good things come to those who wait" or should it be " NSX is good for you !!!"

ctrlaltdelboy
13-05-2004, 06:12 PM
" Good things come to those who wait" or should it be " NSX is good for you !!!"
Oh yes - a man after my own heart 8)
I'm supping my 2nd one of the evening as I type :D
There's nothing quite like the anticipation, patience and willpower required when you are gasping for a pint and just looking at it and waiting for it to settle; especially when all your mates are caning their lagers while you are waiting!!

ctrlaltdelboy
13-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Ivor

perhaps you should try my solution to the desire for topless summer driving :idea:

buy the missus an S2000 and then nick it when the sun comes out 8)

Seriously though, its horses for courses and the NSX really is a driver's car - no disrespect to Joe or any other Targa owners, but the NSX was, is and should remain the 'function-over-form' supercar it was designed to be in order to truly appreciate it for what it is - the Targa version will always involve an element of compromise, being neither a true roadster or convertible nor the raw, light, rigid trackcar that is the coupe.

Get the right tool for the job for any given situation, and on a sunny day when roof down motoring calls, the S2000 is a pretty awesome tool for the job.

Darren

jaytip
14-05-2004, 05:24 AM
god i wish i could afford both.if i hadn't started down the modification road i would be half way to owning an earlier model s2k now :(

ctrlaltdelboy
14-05-2004, 05:54 AM
god i wish i could afford both.
yeah, so do I :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, if you are considering the updgrade (:?:) from your current NSX to a Targa, surely the £ difference involved can't be much different to an early S2k?
that way you would get your fix of topless motoring and still get to keep the NSX that you have spent so much £ on modifying to YOUR personal taste - it would be tragic to let it go after you've done so much to it, in both a personal and financial sense.

JMO :wink:

Darren

BrownBear
14-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Seriously though, its horses for courses and the NSX really is a driver's car - no disrespect to Joe or any other Targa owners, but the NSX was, is and should remain the 'function-over-form' supercar it was designed to be in order to truly appreciate it for what it is - the Targa version will always involve an element of compromise, being neither a true roadster or convertible nor the raw, light, rigid trackcar that is the coupe.

I couldn't agree more -the Targa is a fine car, no question at all, and there's lot's to be said for the top-down sunny day cruise, but it is ultimately compromised for handling and steering feel (as all Targas have PAS).

I'm very pleased with mine, don't get me wrong, but Darren is spot on about the differences. Having said that, on the public road (and especially with *me* driving), it's still a credible alternative to almost everything else out there. Also if you upgrade to a 1994+ coupe, you still get the dreaded PAS, so I'm happy to accept the limitations and top up my tan :)

Have a nice weekend,

Cheers
Joe

jaytip
14-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Joe,thanks for the offer for a ride.next time we meet up i will take you up on it.
Darren,i wish it were so simple :( .people often ask me how much the car cost to buy,and i tell them that buying it is the easy bit,maintaining it is what costs an arm and a leg.i dont think the s2k would be particularly cheap to run either.my girlfriend is 24 can you imagine the insurance quote :shock: .seriously though,what i plan on doing is keeping my car for another 4-5 years and then if the financial situation is ok i will look to upgrade to the targa.
im 34 myself next month and i dont have any kids yet so i had better get a move on(or my trousers off :D )so any extra money i can come up with will have to go towards a sensible family car with rear seats.two 2 seater cars is out of the question so i see the targa and a regular car as the best compromise.

Ivor

Welshman
25-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Interesting that a quick check on Autotrader showed only 14 NSXs for sale. Normally you can find 25 to 30 up there.

AR
25-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Could be summer is here and people want sporty cars ?

trackdemon
25-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Er, the usual 27 on there at the moment chap. Maybe you checked 'within 50 miles' ?

Was looking earlier on for a guy at work who didn;t realize / believe that NSX's were so reasonably priced nowadays....(ie £20-25k buys a really nice one)

ctrlaltdelboy
27-05-2004, 08:11 AM
there's 10 on exchange and mart right now, but....

4 of these are on auto trader anyway

on auto trader there are currently 25 (plus a generic *** car website ad, plus a wanted ad)

of these with the exception of a 79k miler at £16995 and an 85k miler at £22995, everything under £26k is either LHD or AUTO.

edit: on exchange and mart there's a 97 (P) 3.0 manual in YELLOW with 58k miles at £24995, although this would mean you'd have to drive around in a YELLOW car and have power steering! :wink:

but still, this does indeed confirm that unless you are prepared to compromise to a greater or lesser degree, there is still a lack of NSX's available at the more affordable end of the market.

AR
27-05-2004, 09:30 AM
edit: on exchange and mart there's a 97 (P) 3.0 manual in YELLOW with 58k miles at £24995, although this would mean you'd have to drive around in a YELLOW car and have power steering! :wink:

Is it in Cardiff ? I think thatr is the one that I looked at before :roll: They even took it off the frontrow and parked it in the back of the forecourt.

With my limited NSX knowledge I venture to say that the one I looked at will require some £££ to get it to spec.

Welshman
27-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Er, the usual 27 on there at the moment chap. Maybe you checked 'within 50 miles' ?

Was looking earlier on for a guy at work who didn;t realize / believe that NSX's were so reasonably priced nowadays....(ie £20-25k buys a really nice one)

You're right. I'd put a cut off on the low price of £20k and on the high price of £50k. Hence only 14.

Welshman
27-05-2004, 09:35 AM

Is it in Cardiff ? I think thatr is the one that I looked at before :roll: They even took it off the frontrow and parked it in the back of the forecourt.

With my limited NSX knowledge I venture to say that the one I looked at will require some £££ to get it to spec.

So AR how much are you thinking of spending?

AR
27-05-2004, 01:28 PM
As little as possible :D , but realistically :cry: around 25K plus mods.

AR
27-05-2004, 01:30 PM
PS I think that is a fantastic price on a P reg, but that one is a poor example of an NSX.

Welshman
27-05-2004, 06:04 PM
PS I think that is a fantastic price on a P reg, but that one is a poor example of an NSX.

Why is that? My first NSX was a 1996 P reg Targa and it was a cracking car.

AR
27-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Because the particular car in question is the same one that I wrote about in my first post:

Well, the paint at the front looked a bit too new to me. Further inspection revealed that it was repaired in the passenger side of the front bumper and the repair was less than perfect.

There was what looked like and oil or some other fluid leak underneath the area where the drivetrain is.

I felt like going back in the office calling him a few names, but I restrained myself, thanked him and politely informed him that his car had been in a bump at some point.

If it had none of those problems then it will be a bragain.

Welshman
27-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Because the particular car in question is the same one that I wrote about in my first post:

If it had none of those problems then it will be a bragain.

Sorry, thought you were referring to P reg cars generically,

glenlewis
09-07-2004, 11:46 PM
I went in the office and asked the salesman a few questions. He was uninterested. I was dressed properly and so was my wife. We drove in a 40K 4X4. We were very polite and corteus to him. All he said was:
Car is P reg 58 thousand miles, just service a few months ago.
When I asked if I could have a look at the car. He said is open, just go have a look.
Anyway, the last time I saw the car is was covered in rain. Well this day it was a lovely Sunny and Breeze Cardiff day.
In a way I am glad that this idiot did not take the time to show us around the car. If I have had a chance to look inside, and he would have hidden all bad points ( as most good used car dealers do ) I will probably be stuck with that turd and pulling what little hairs I have left.

Did you test drive this NSX?
It does have a little filler in the front, not a big deal amount, the roof can and will be sprayed up for about £100. The brakes on stationary cars that are sat on lots will always look rusty if the car has been sat for a while, but the brakes are perfect, the interior is A1, the car is HPI clear, everything works, the salesman was a bit of a muppet but the vendor has spent 4K sorting the powersteering ECU (a recall on 97 cars in the US) the cambelt and full service and it has a new clutch.
It also has a full Honda history and runs like a dream.
I would wager this car has a lot less problems than some of the NSX's on this forum and I bloody love it, and its amazing what the 8K that ive saved buying this NSX will pay for in the next year ;)

Glen.

Welshman
10-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Glen

You're clearly well chuffed with it and have had a good good look before parting with your hard earned cash so the best of luck to you. Let's have some photos and let's see you at a meet some time.

regards

AR
12-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Mate do not take this as a flame is just my opinion and worth only what you pay for it ( £0.00 )

Did you test drive this NSX?

No

It does have a little filler in the front, not a big deal amount,

If someone lies about the little things waht can you expect about the big ones?

the roof can and will be sprayed up for about £100.

Will it be to the same standards as the original paint.

The brakes on stationary cars that are sat on lots will always look rusty if the car has been sat for a while, but the brakes are perfect,

Your opinion

the interior is A1

More like C plus

the car is HPI clear

Does not mean much these days.

everything works, the salesman was a bit of a muppet but the vendor has spent 4K sorting the powersteering ECU (a recall on 97 cars in the US) the cambelt and full service and it has a new clutch.It also has a full Honda history and runs like a dream.

Well is early days yet grasshopper :)

I would wager this car has a lot less problems than some of the NSX's on this forum and I bloody love it, and its amazing what the 8K that ive saved buying this NSX will pay for in the next year ;)

If you feel is the right one for you that is all that matters. Cars are like women in that sense. ( Or is it if you are feeling the right one :twisted: )
Hope you enjoy it. I might be going to the garage about a mile down looking for a trident badge, as the wife thinks we need 4 seats :x

glenlewis
13-07-2004, 07:57 PM
I thought about replying to your conjecture, but I can't be ****** bothered.

I own a beautiful 1997 Honda NSX Coupe 3.0 VTEC, goes like a dream (and I know about these things having come from Nissan Skyline GT-R's).

It turns every head and sounds like an F1 car, its perfect.

Enjoy your SUV. I bought my wife a Pajero.

Peace,

Glen.

Welshman
14-07-2004, 12:58 PM
I own a beautiful 1997 Honda NSX Coupe 3.0 VTEC, goes like a dream (and I know about these things having come from Nissan Skyline GT-R's).

It turns every head and sounds like an F1 car, its perfect.

Photos please!

glenlewis
16-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi Welshman,

Ill get some up soon.

This thread does a disservice to myself and this club that I hope to be an avtive contributor to, so could the mods please delete it and let me start afresh.

Peace.

Glen