PDA

View Full Version : Odd clunk noise and condensation in rear light

kevinpsw
01-04-2006, 05:47 PM
An odd clunk/metallic rattle developed today. It's as if something has worked loose. It is noticed as you go over bumps at speed of 30 mph and upwards and it appears to becoming from behind the driver. It lasts no more than a second and appears not to be linked with with either engine speed or gear changes. I can't see anything wrong in the engine compartment, the boot or in the offside wheel station.

Any suggestions of things I could check before resorting to a garage?

I have had the rear off side wheel off about 300 miles ago but it was put back on properly.

Did I read somewhere that the solution for condensation in the rear light cluster (I have it on one side only) was to drill some small holes on the underside?

Ian.M
01-04-2006, 06:49 PM
I had condensation in the middle 'light' and cured it by drilling 1mm holes in the bottom on the inside

I had this fix recommended to me by an eminent NSX expert but I was asked not to divulge his/her name.

hope this helps
Ian :P

Greybloke
01-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Any suggestions of things I could check before resorting to a garage?

A long shot, and obviously not located at the rear, but have you checked the spare tyre fixing ? they can work loose.

Trident
02-04-2006, 08:55 PM
I recently had lots of condensation in the L/H light cluster. I tried to take it apart but someone has glued it together with mastic. Nasty person. So I resorted to the hole drilling routine, which worked a treat. :)

glenlewis
05-04-2006, 10:50 PM
An odd clunk/metallic rattle developed today.

Its the exhaust pipe, i think one of the mounting rubbers is loose, never got round to sorting it, but nothing to worry about.
i havent moved house yet so I havent unpacked boxes so I havent found your key fob, i will mail it when I do find it.
If you want I can see if Lucas will do a replacement.
The Headunit is covered under warranty and if you want to send it back to
Pete Organ
Carnoisseur
Lake Industrial Estate
lake
Isle of Wight

they will sort it, sorry I havent been in touch but Ive been very busy mate.
Glen

kevinpsw
09-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Sorry to be thick but do you mean holes on the underside on the inside (boot) side of the light? Or do you mean holes that would be visible from the back of the car, albeit lying on the ground?

Perhaps it will be obvious when I examine the light after moving the boot carpet?

Ian.M
09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
I took out the unit and drilled holes at the bottom inside so they cannot be seen from the outside of the car even when laying down. If the bodywork was not in the way you would be able to see the holes from inside the boot. Hope this is clearer.
best Ian

kevinpsw
09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks. I'll aim to try it tomorrow.

kevinpsw
10-04-2006, 05:45 PM
It was not as straight forward as I thought. The light is double skinned and I was worried whether the drill might inflict damage that would be visible. However, there are now 5 holes each of about 2mm diameter along the underside. Fingers crossed that the condensation now eases off, perhaps it will do so when the back of the car sits in the sun for a while.

Ian.M
10-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi Kevin,

I was a bit worried when I did it. I used 1mm holes but more of them so I expect you will have the same effect. Let me know if it works.

best wishes
Ian

MattS
10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
This condensation must the contagious type!

My o/s rear unit has fogged up too. Tried the holes a couple of days ago, but no joy yet. Might have to resort to the hairdrier if things don't improve.

It really does look crap on an otherwise decent set of wheels!

Papalazarou
10-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm not going to read another fault thread for the rest of my life......Every time I read about someone elses car problem the exact same thing happens to mine. It's like a crap version of the Matrix or something. :shock:

James :)

kevinpsw
16-04-2006, 05:43 PM
It worked. It has taken a few days to dry out but almost all of the condensation has gone, just a few droplets left now. All for just a few small holes.

I have also found the source of the clunk. There is a shield around the exhaust as it leaves the silencer box and its mounting bolts were missing.

mutley
17-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Aye it's true, the condensation moster has paid a visit to my O/S lights, so guess what I'll be doing this week....where's that drill!

James, if you're worried about catching "contagious" problems, don't read any more of my posts.......So far I think I need to find about 3K to sort out my clutch/gearbox once and for all!!

a soon to be very skint NSX owner.

Papalazarou
17-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Not listening.....na-na-na-na-na.

I still haven't fixed my N/S abs sensor. :roll:
Having my cambelt and waterpump done tomorrow though (£500.00 including the new water pump I got from the states, I thought that was a pretty reasonable price from a franchise.

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
17-04-2006, 10:16 PM
James,

By franchise, do you mean Honda dealer? If so, which one is doing the work?

Norton Way quoted @ £540 for just the cambelt.

regards

Papalazarou
18-04-2006, 07:53 AM
The franchise is 'Howards Honda' in Taunton. They have a lower hourly rate compared to the larger franchises but the quality of work is excellent.
I'll let you know how I get on today.

JAMES.

Just thought I'd add this; when I was looking for the best deal for the cambelt only, The Honda dealer in Bristol (Cribbs Causeway) quoted £414.00.

glenlewis
26-04-2006, 10:32 PM
I have also found the source of the clunk. There is a shield around the exhaust as it leaves the silencer box and its mounting bolts were missing.

You are welcome :roll:
Kinda what I said.

simonprelude
27-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Mine did that, Honda just removed the heat shield, wasn't a clunk though hence not replying.

You are welcome :roll:
Kinda what I said.