PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, found a 3.0 Targa, but wondering if someone has a 3.2 ?

Bonesy
01-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi,

stumbled across a '96 3.0l manual targa, which I'm highly tempted by.

However, I'd naturally rather a 3.2l.

So thought I'd check to see if anyone here is thinking of selling a 3.2, before I sign on the dotted line.

alternatively, am I expecting too much difference from the additional .2 ?
is it 40bhp? or negligible?

thanks in advance, :wink:

ctrlaltdelboy
01-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I believe the official figures show a difference of 10PS

there may be more to it in reality than that, but not much I imagine

Papalazarou
01-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi Bonesy,

I was looking through Prime today and found this thread; basically if you buy a 3.0 litre and change the manifolds and silencer you should get over 300 bhp anyway. Unfortunately you'll pay the best part of 2 grand for the harware and the labour, but still a lot cheaper than buying a 3.2(normally).

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67276&highlight=dyno

Cheers, James.

p.s, I'm halfway there, just need the manifolds.
p.p.s, have many people on this site done this mod?

Bonesy
01-04-2006, 06:47 PM
cheers guys.

It does appear a tricky call when buying a car where the maunfacturer makes such apparently conservative claims, and the lack of models available to buy limits selection,

although sounds like i can't go wrong either way.

again, if any regulars are thinking of selling... :P

sportyking
01-04-2006, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't get hung up on the power side of the 3.2/3.0 debate if I were you. You are hardly likely to go up against another NSX in anger anyway, and they are both quick.

I would work out what i want to pay and then buy the best condition car with a solid history. Mileage and age should also be lower in the decision making process.

With newer cars though, comes some desirable benefits and maybe some disadvantages from different points of view.

I only looked at 3.2s myself, but for me it was as much about the six speed box as anything else, because it can keep the car on VTEC going up through the gears. I was led to believe this is near impossible on the "standard" 5-speed and a set of Mugen ratios was needed to do it.

Also I kind of got used to a six speed with an S2000 as I suspect you have Bonesy. Mind you an S2000 gearbox it is not :wink:

ctrlaltdelboy
01-04-2006, 09:03 PM
....have many people on this site done this mod?
one of the first mods I did, together with hi flo cats - raises noise level up to about 98dB at the same time. de-cats give back even more power, but at 103dB it's a bit harsh.

....and a set of Mugen ratios was needed to do it.
standard JDM gears will do the trick (just - you need to be on the redline to catch vtec in the next gear)

simonprelude
01-04-2006, 11:45 PM
The Y plate Imola Orange on Autotrader at the moment is a Targa and a 3.2

Bonesy
02-04-2006, 08:13 AM
thanks for the responses, hadn't even considered the gearing :cry:

well, I like the age, colour, and service of the 3.0 I've found. sounds like unlike an S there's plenty of scope for improvement mods.

now I've become interested in perforated leather seats though :roll:

fyi, just bought another prelude vtec yesterday, bringing the current car park tally to 2x 2.2l preludes and, as you've guessed, an S2000.

I guess the s2000 gearbox will have spoilt me somewhat, might need to test drive a few,

cheers for the headsup in the iop simon.

simonprelude
02-04-2006, 08:33 AM
I haven't driven a 3.0 for quite a while, but the gearbox on the 3.2 makes the S2000 feel like a Renault :)

The S2000 is slick and notchy, but the NSX box is better still.

I guess the s2000 gearbox will have spoilt me somewhat, might need to test drive a few,

cheers for the headsup in the iop simon.

Bonesy
04-04-2006, 08:43 PM
hmmm, think I've found one, but have some questions,

anyone got 5 mins to chat through with me? Simonprelude, happy for me to run a few things passed you?

cheers.