PDA

View Full Version : Paint types

Papalazarou
27-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Can anyone tell me whether NSX's are painted in solid colour or clearcoat, ot whether the paint type changed over the years?

Thanks

James.

Papalazarou
27-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Ok, I've kind of answered my own question by searching on Prime, so here's the deal.

I decided to get the nosecone sprayed, went to pick the car up a couple of weeks ago after the work was done to discover it's a shade out. (my car's red).
Now, the original paintwork on the body didn't appear to have a clearcoat because when I first got it, I used a resin polish to remove some small scratches and a bit of red paint would come off on the rag. Not knowing much about paint, I assumed there was no cleacoat on it from the factory as the paint is original.
However, I've just found this on Prime and I thought it may be of interest;

"The Red color NSX has a tinted clear, that means that the clear coat over the color also has color in it. When polishing the car you will remove some clear coat and it will look red/purple/pink on your polish cloth. Most aftermarket paint suppliers suggest a clear over the tinted red when doing repairs so a repaired red panel may not show up red on your cloth. The tint in the clear is not the same color as the base color coat. The tint is a purple color and the color coat is an orange color. When polishing out any scratches it is possible to remove more clear in one area than in another. This will create a splotchy look of red and orange. It doesn't look good. All the colors have clear coat, White, Black, Red, Silver, Green, Purple, and the new Blue, dark Silver and Yellow."

Anyway it's back to the paintshop for another go, so fingers crossed.

James.

ctrlaltdelboy
27-03-2006, 07:39 PM
wow!

that is very interesting, but a bummer for you red car owners :(

best of luck sorting that mate