PDA

View Full Version : targa! deal or no deal?

shane
24-03-2006, 03:09 PM
hi all
im a new member to the site and not an nsx owner as yet. i have been craving one now for many years and now its on the cards. i have read alot about them over the years and i hear nothing good about the targa.it does look the part but they say its about chassis flex. (ie handling) i no this may affect the handling but surely it cant be so bad, im sure some of you guys have one and also dove the coupe. if you could tell me the difference (if any)you could put it straight that the targa is as fine as the coupe

thanks

simonprelude
24-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Alledgedly the Targa is not as stiff chassis wise, but you have to be pushing it to notice, if you want a Targa get one, if not get a coupe.

Not driven one though so could be noticeable but I doubt it.

shane
24-03-2006, 03:53 PM
yea id say your right. if i was to do track days id probley go for the coupe. its not a car that you would push enough on the roads to notice anything wrong handling wise and im sure it would still handle alot better than anything else out there, so its a fine machine no matter whats said about it..

Papalazarou
24-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi Shane,

If you ask the sewing circle, they'll tell you that the targa has flex which is detrimental to handling, but for 9/10th's of driving that's just not the case.
I have a targa and could have quite easily gone for a coupe, but wanted the option of open top motoring.
I also live in an area with some of the most undulating and unforgiving roads in the UK and have no issues with the handling of my car.
I think this coupe-vs-targa thing was largely in the impressionable minds of a few motoring journalists who feel the need to be overcritical and righteous about everything.
I would to an extent agree with the other guys though, If you only want to do track days, the wind in your hair is far from a priority. But if you want to enjoy your car on other levels then buy a targa.

If you're interested, there was a whole debate about this subject on Prime. There's a really good post on there by john@microsoft which puts it pretty well into perspective

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63702&highlight=targa+coupe

James.

BrownBear
24-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Not that it winds you up at all, eh, James? :wink:

FWIW, I've owned both types and generally agree with you - you can tell that the Coupe is tighter than the Targa, but it makes bugger all difference to most drivers most of the time.

Quote I remember from Don Palmer (driving school thing)-

Me: (apologising) Of course , this being a targa it won't be as good as a coupe
Don: Really? You think that makes a difference?

Papalazarou
24-03-2006, 05:15 PM
I guess it does wind me up a little. :wink:
Maybe we should suggest a top gear shootout with The Stig driving FHC's and their convertible or targa derivatives.

It may be an interesting test!

Cheers,

James.

p.s, drove my targa with the roof off today, I had no idea AR's old Tubi sounded so good.

shane
24-03-2006, 05:52 PM
yea that sure would. it would put all these critics in there box.after all critics are put on this earth to criticize everything. it can be cars,films,books etc... so i will pick up as much info from you guys and then i can decide for myself. im sure there is nothing wrong with it what so ever. i seen a real nice one for sale, its a 96 with 39000 miles for 23k very tempting.

markc
24-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I really don't think the NSX suffers from a significant chassis rigidity problem in Targa form.

However, ALL "Targa"/T-Top cars I've ridden in creak/squeak from the roof panel somewhere. Specifically 911's (pre and post 993 model), F355 & 348 GTS, 300ZX, MR2 (both older versions), Rover Coupe and yes even NSX.

It's probably a personal thing but it drives me crazy. :evil:

If you get one that doesn't creak/squeak, can stop it creak/squeaking OR never plan to drive with the roof panel in place this isn't an issue.

I'd love a NSX-T in addition to my current coupe for the upcoming balmy summer evening blasts, but that's just greedy isn't it. :lol:

Mark

simonprelude
24-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Greedy nope, my thoughts exactly :)

Enough Silicon lubricant and it shouldn't squeak.

I really don't think the NSX suffers from a significant chassis rigidity problem in Targa form.

However, ALL "Targa"/T-Top cars I've ridden in creak/squeak from the roof panel somewhere. Specifically 911's (pre and post 993 model), F355 & 348 GTS, 300ZX, MR2 (both older versions), Rover Coupe and yes even NSX.

If you get one that doesn't creak/squeak, can stop it creak/squeaking OR never plan to drive with the roof panel in place this isn't an issue.

I'd love a NSX-T in addition to my current coupe for the upcoming balmy summer evening blasts, but that's just greedy isn't it. :lol:

Mark

jaytip
25-03-2006, 01:03 PM
If the targa really was THAT bad,i don't think they would have dropped the coupe and only sold the targa in later years in the US.After all,not all the US has sun 365 days of the year,so weather alone can't be reason enough for the coupe to be dropped,...can it?

Nick Graves
13-04-2006, 08:53 AM

Mark

I get worse from the Prelude's sunroof! No squeaks from the S2000's roof.

The NSX-Ts structure is wobblier than the coupe & the S2000, which affect the ride a little.

I think a lot of the 'softer handling' stuff is due to the fact that Honda specified softer spring/damper rates for the T, to give it a more 'cruiser' character.

The T is still a very sweet car.