PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise under acceleration and letting off

simonprelude
23-03-2006, 05:09 PM
OK, hard acceleration produces a loud clicking noise from behind the passengers head, also when you let off WOT the click happens again.

It sounds like a relay and has only just started happening recently.

Also the aerial mast is no longer extending fully, would this be classed as electrical or bodywork, I have the full warranty which excludes body work obvioulsy ??

Flinty
23-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Mine is certainly not loud, but there is a relay click, each time you accelrate or lift off - if you listen closely.

Behind the panel behind the headrests, there is a large silver relay box. I found this out when hitting 110 (kph Officer) with the Targa Panel off - hit me on back of head, now cured courtesy of some new clips. (the panel, not head....)

Not much help, but having seen Dale's Silver burnt out, may be worth checking out. Electical fire would make yours truly Burnt Orange. :cry:

Cheers

Flinty

Mr_Spanners
23-03-2006, 07:59 PM
The 'click' you describe is most likely to be the main PGM-Fi relay which is located next to the ECU.

For some reason many of Honda's Main Relays have poor soldering which cause all manner of problems (CRXs and Preludes from 88-92 were particularly bad for hot starting due to the same fault!)

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/x-images/oem-main-relay.image.gif

Anyway, to cut a long story short you can remove the relay cover to expose the small circuit board and resolder all the joints. This should cure the problem.

~Phil.

simonprelude
23-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the advice, I would certainly say that is a warranty able item so will claim against it at the next service :)

The 'click' you describe is most likely to be the main PGM-Fi relay which is located next to the ECU.

For some reason many of Honda's Main Relays have poor soldering which cause all manner of problems (CRXs and Preludes from 88-92 were particularly bad for hot starting due to the same fault!)

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/x-images/oem-main-relay.image.gif

Anyway, to cut a long story short you can remove the relay cover to expose the small circuit board and resolder all the joints. This should cure the problem.

~Phil.