PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to space-saver spare?

kevinpsw
23-03-2006, 04:46 PM
My space saver tyre is a problem for 2 reasons, both of which I admit I could solve.

1. It vibrates slightly in its mount and the noise is irritating. I'm sure a bit of carefully placed padding would solve this.
2. I don't have a cigar lighter as a previous owner had it removed as part of a mod. I suppose I could put crocodile clips on the end of the pump wires and power it directly off of the battery or I could carry a foot pump.

Is there an alternative to using the spare in the event of a puncture?

I have it in my mind that there are foams that can be pumped into flat tyres for get-you-home repairs. Clearly the tyre would be a write-off but I wouldn't be keen to go down the puncture repair road anyway.

Is there anyone out there who relies upon such a means? If so, what foam should I seek?

Mr_Spanners
23-03-2006, 05:03 PM
The foam is an option... but the tyre fitters really hate it as they have to hammer it off the inside of the rim where it's bonded - by all accounts it's pretty nasty stuff! :shock:

Still, there are a few new cars thats don't come with a spare so the foam option is more common than it was a few years back...

There's a product called 'fix-a-flat' which seems to be popular in the States and it'll inflate bigger tyres (like the rear 17" x 8"!)

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Car_Accessories_Tyre_Pressure_Gauges_125.html

Hope this helps!?

~Phil.

PS You could always secure the spare wheel and buy a foot pump instead?? :wink:

simonprelude
23-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I have thought about this and would probably also be interested on how it is going to affect the handling of the car, the space saver is quite a way forward and isn't too light.

Probably not going to make a lot of difference but you never know.

Also check what your RAC / AA cover requires, some state if you have a flat and do not have a spare then it will cost you £££ to have a call out and recovery.

britlude
24-03-2006, 08:21 PM
there's some stuff called 'slime' that is put into the tyre before you use it (gooey liquid) and if you do get a puncture it bungs the hole up before losing pressure...

there are various similer products out there, motorcyclists use them alot! I've seen this sort of stuff demonstrated at various shows and it does work!

I was reminded of it when I saw some in the new demon-tweaks cataloguel... hope that helps!

osiris_x11
25-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Limited options aside from spare-tire or inflation-aersols, but here's another one...

- Tire-plug/patch kit (about $5-$10 complete w/ tools, plugs, resin, instructions)
* be sure to have a lightweight, but decent sized tire iron (able to have leverage & generate sufficient torque), pen-size air pressure gauge, and a small can of penetrent-lubricant (in-case lug nuts or wheel-bolts have corroded thus 'frozen').

and...

OEM NSX compressor / aftermarket air-compressor w/ gauge

-or-

Compact-refillable C02 tank w/ air-hose, coupler, and valve-stem adapter (C02 cartridges only good for smaller tires for bikes/cycles/ATV's/garden-tractors)

If your cigarette lighter is not usable for the air-compressor, simply create an auxillary 12volt power source by tapping into the fusebox or battery & placing it in the trunk, under the bonnet, or in the center-storage bin (an aux. 12volt power unit like the one in the center console is $5-$10, wire-connectors & shrinking electrical tape are $5).

I personally have never, ever had success w/ those FixAFlat, Slime, Inflate-n-Seal, or other one-time use products. Also, the tire is basically useless afterwards from these products - this can be an important point w/ the NSX as the rubber isn't exactly pocket-change (aside from mucking up the insides of your wheels & their balance).

Goodluck. 8)

Kevin
26-03-2006, 09:24 AM
there's some stuff called 'slime' that is put into the tyre before you use it (gooey liquid) and if you do get a puncture it bungs the hole up before losing pressure...

there are various similer products out there, motorcyclists use them alot! I've seen this sort of stuff demonstrated at various shows and it does work!

I was reminded of it when I saw some in the new demon-tweaks cataloguel... hope that helps!

Can't say I like the sound of this. How would you know you have a puncture? Would you carry on driving at 100mph, or at the track with a tyre with a puncture in it?

kevinpsw
26-03-2006, 12:05 PM
It's been useful to hear some views - thank you all.

I've decided to sort out the vibration and to rig up a new cigar lighter power socket as suggested and stick with the manufacturer's solution.