PDA

View Full Version : JDM Type-S query

Lankstarr
22-03-2006, 11:25 AM
This ad confused me into thinking that NA2s were maybe when the 3.2s came out???

http://trade.carview.co.jp/stock/detail.aspx?id=30654

So then this would be one of the first 3.2 type s's
price works out at about 27k plus ~1k shipping

Not sure what the other VAT etc costs would be or how much extra insurance a grey would attract but if you could get it on the road for 30k it would be one special car

ctrlaltdelboy
22-03-2006, 12:27 PM
you pay duty at 10% of the purchase price plus shipping cost

car = 27000
ship = 1000
duty = 2800

subtotal = £30,800

then you pay VAT on this amount

30,800 x 1.175 = 36,190

then allow £500 for SVA & MOT, takes you to best part of £37,000

it's a good buy at £27k, but not so good at £37k

insurance is not much difference generally, except for the fact that you will be restricted to insurers who covers imports rather than the whole market.

EDIT: - this is now a new topic instead of (as was) an off-topic element within the lights/indicator thread

Lankstarr
22-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks for that info Darren, that pesky VAT man explains why there are so few imported NSXs over here - I would imagine resale problems like the blue/green type R would be a problem as well as losing about 5k as soon as it rolls of the ship.

If the VAT man wasn't such a thief I would look into it further as I would imagine the type s probably cost a lot more than a std car when it was made and it would be really nice to have something unique in the country.

That said there is always the worry of why it is being shipped out - I think it would have a high chance of being a major repair job?

simonprelude
22-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Ask markc, he has the Imola Orange type S.

markc
22-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Lankstarr,

The comments regarding the relatively high price of NSX's in their homeland, the cost of the personal import process, difficulty in understanding maintenance and hsitory, and the stigma attached to imported vehicles are all true so it comes down to what you either save by going JDM OR what you're prepared to pay to get the JDM spec you want... the choice depends on your own priorities.

For example early 3ltr 5spd JDM cars have a number of differances that may make them more attractive to a potential UK/Euro owner, chiefly the shorter gearing but also things like the rear bumper/registration plate finish (tidier) and the Alcantara dashboard and roof lining finish used in the interior. The differances between the JDM and UK post '97 3.2ltr cars is much less so IMHO there's less reason to go JDM for one of these.

If you want one of the JDM only "specials" like the NA1 Type R, NA2 Type S/S Zero or the last facelift Type R's your only option is to personal import from Japan, and if you want it bad enough the thought of it's resale value a few years down the line doesn't even enter your head..... trust me on this one. :lol:

Personally I think the white one in question is very reasonably priced if it's as described. The Japanese auction houses seem to be famous for their very complete and honest descriptions of the cars they sell, so on the face of it this should be a decent car.... how much do you want one???

In my case I always hankered after an NSX and if given a clean sheet of paper would have writen down the Type S spec, finished in Imola Orange. When a car of that exact spec appeared in Autotrader and in the UK, I had to go and see it and it would have had to be a real dog for me not to buy it, but it wasn't and I did. :D

A year and a bit on and I still love it. It's significantly firmer than a UK car and you can hear a lot more valve "chatter" through the single rather than double glazing between engine and cabin. You can also hear more of the fabulous NSX induction roar above 6K revs. :D
The car also rolls a lot less in extreme cornering than UK cars as proved by photos taken at a Donington track day last year.

I had a full service and cam belt change performed not long after I bought the car for my own peace of mind, and lived with the "heavy & sticky" clutch until recently when I changed it myself as a fun winter project.

Went to LeMans (24hr Race) and Spa (Swiss NSX Club) last year and am booked for LeMans again this year with a possible odyssy to Modena/Maranello/Santa Agata in October on the cards.

Still no thoughts of resale value..... :D

Cheers

Mark