PDA

View Full Version : modifications

jaytip
07-05-2004, 11:30 PM
for those of you who have taken the plunge and started modifying your cars,what has been your biggest dilema with regards to "shall i shant i" before plunging in.
for me it was the colour change,and guess what.it went wrong.
but we live and learn and if you dont try something you will never know. :)

Ivor.

Kevin
08-05-2004, 10:28 PM
I've not considered much apart from, shall I spend the money or not?

I did the usual thing with changing the air filter for a K&N, but after reading more about them, took it out and keep the standard one in now. I also decided at that time, that I will not do anything that will possibly affect the car's reliability.

I chipped the car at Superchips, waste of money, put the standard chip back in after.

The TEIN suspension had some thought. Whether to buy something cheaper or not. After being convinced by Mark J, that the TEIN is the thing for the track I went with those. I am happy.

The seats were a necessity, for my height. They also save weight and hold me in the car better. The harness bar is for safety. One rule of racing is 'If you can't afford the safety equipment, you can't afford to race'.

Everything has been done one at a time. Track testing in between each change so I have an idea what to do next. Basically the rule is, if it doesn't make the car faster or safer it doesn't go on.

ps. For sale - 1 slightly used K&N air filter, one Superchip :wink:

modarr
13-05-2004, 08:14 PM
My only concern was whether I would keep the car long term or swap it for something else.
In the end I decided the NSX is such a competent car especially on track that I want to hold on to it and make it more of a fighting machine.
The flood gates have been opened.

amar_fiaz
16-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Hi

I've read on this thread that Superchipping the NSX was a waste of money. What exactly have people been disappointed about when gettingtheir NSX chipped by Superchips (or any other on-board cpu modification).

AMAR

Kevin
16-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi

I've read on this thread that Superchipping the NSX was a waste of money. What exactly have people been disappointed about when gettingtheir NSX chipped by Superchips (or any other on-board cpu modification).

AMAR

Easy...£250 later, and the car is no different. When I ask them how they make the program, it's not a case of putting the car on a dyno and painstakingly map the car to generate a map. It's take the standard chip, advance the timing by a few %, a bit more fuel, and hey presto a map is born.

Buy mine for a reasonable price, make me an offer.

I think other chips, such as the Dastek chip are mapped on a dyno per car.

jaytip
16-05-2004, 12:00 PM
What about the dali chip, is that any good.
Kev, i was looking through the photo gallery and i saw the photos of your car in a garage along side the TVR cerbera. Tell me which was the quickest on the track. I know the TVR will mince the NSX on straight line speed but we both now that the NSX will pull back in the corners. Who ended up putting in the quickest laps?.

Ivor.

Kevin
16-05-2004, 01:33 PM
I can drive my NSX faster than my friend can drive his Cerbera. His car can 'start' to pull away from me on the straight, but I get the power down earlier out of a corner so get more of a run up as it were. The two cars are closer than TVR owners would like to think.

He's been playing with suspension settings quite a bit. I think now he has found some settings he likes. I wasn't driving on the track the last time out so we didn't get to compare.

I have had a go in his Cerbera at Bedford. The steering is quicker, you don't need to turn the wheel so much to get round a corner. I'd much rather be driving the NSX though for a lot more reasons.

I think the Dali chip has had good results. It was mapped specially, rather than the Superchips approach.