PDA

View Full Version : NSX handling on icy roads

mcibuk
14-03-2006, 10:21 AM
How does your car handle in icy conditions?

Over the last 2 years i have been amazed at the handling capability of my car - never pushing it hard enough to scare me but i've always felt that the handling and traction control was always there to help me if needed.
My confidence was a little shaken on Sunday morning whilst returning home from some friends when i ran into some wintry conditions in the Yorkshire Dales. The A class roads i was travelling on had a layer of snow and although i haven't a take on the temperature it was probably freezing or close to it. Some sections of the roads had been gritted but in any event i was travelling very carefully (20-30mph).
I felt the car slide a couple of times and looked to see if ACS warning light was intervening which it didn't. I concluded that because the weels weren't actually spinning faster but the car was drifting sideways the ACS couldn't intervene as it saw nothing wrong happening!
Although the slides were easy enough to sort out the rest of our journey home was pretty much silent whilst i concentrated fully on the path to take.
I have just had 2 new tyres on the front and the rears also have plenty of tread (6mm according last weeks MOT!) so i think the car was in fine shape to tackle the conditions. I consider myself as a competent driver and am well used to driving in much harsher conditions than those seen on Sunday therefore i am really surprised about my experience at the weekend :shock:
I will be keeping a much closer eye on the weather forecasts in future and will not risk the NSX in such conditions again.

I would of course be interested to hear other peoples experiences in snow and icy conditions :)

Accelera Comigo
15-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Impeccably.

My record time for my commute was a whopping 5 hours 10 mins through the snow in Jan 2002 and my NSX behaved beautifully. Always predictable, always correctable, especially for a mid engine rear drive car. We drove past lots of stricken cars on the way home that you would imagine to be better behaved in the snow.

"I concluded that because the weels weren't actually spinning faster but the car was drifting sideways the ACS couldn't intervene as it saw nothing wrong happening!"

There's not a lot the control system can do there, especially as slowing you down would be dangerous. I recommend that you do a few trackdays if I may be so bold.

Accelera Comigo

Nick Graves
18-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Sounds pretty good to me!

The S2000 on S-02s is crap. Might as well go curling with it.

Greybloke
18-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Nick, I see you lurking here with increasing regularity, have you seen the light yet :lol:

Go on, you know you want to.......