PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte green '95 targa

goldtop
07-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Thought I'd start a thread on this car as it's the one that I'm driving the most and working out what to do with it.

First thought is the bodywork. Now, this is the one which was the featured in Sudesh's refresh thread (a few years ago - I will add a link in a bit). I think it's got a few scars since the day Sudesh did the final just-waxed photos. I've now identified several areas for correction:
* the small dent in the bonnet
* rear bumper has had some bad paint work (now blistering)
* 3in scratch on right rear wing
* some oxidisation bubbling on front corner of the targa panel
* some poorly matched touched-in stone chips here and there

Now, I have been considering a wrap to black, and went to see a local company which has done some high-end cars. Not sure, as the doorshuts/etc seem to be a bit of an unknown quantity. Some talk of using fillets in the intakes, etc, and I'm just not sure if the seams would annoy me. So I also got a price for a respray to black (almost £5k). In either case, all of the above areas need preparation first.

In other news, a strange tapping noise from the clock/climate panel occurs on start-up. Lasts about 10s and then just stops. Just started today on a very hot day - having seen some threads about vents/ABD/etc it's clear that this needs further investigation.

Other thoughts:
1) I'd actually like to revert to the original tan carpet, etc in the footwells.
2) that pesky aerial problem has recurred
3) need to check the AC/CCU operation (AC doesn't blow cold)
4) still getting used to the clutch operation
5) getting into fifth is not as slick as I'd hope
6) the weird Laserline immobiliser/alarm confuses me. It has a dongle that must be touched to a port TWICE before starting

I've taken a bunch of photos and will resize and upload them in the next few days.

Hope to meet up with a few of you soon - I could use some experienced NSXer's eyes looking over the car. I'm still too smitten to be critical! :)

NSXGB
07-06-2013, 09:38 PM
In other news, a strange tapping noise from the clock/climate panel occurs on start-up. Lasts about 10s and then just stops. Just started today on a very hot day - having seen some threads about vents/ABD/etc it's clear that this needs further investigation.

Sounds like one of the air flaps sticking. Try starting the car with the with the air diverted in a different direction. Mine sometimes does that if the air is diverted straight forward but never on any other mode.

L696ULO
08-06-2013, 07:44 AM
The best time to meet plenty of owners would be Silverstone Classic if you can get a ticket from somewhere, failing that now the summer might be here another mini meet ?

goldtop
22-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Sounds like one of the air flaps sticking. Try starting the car with the with the air diverted in a different direction. Mine sometimes does that if the air is diverted straight forward but never on any other mode.

I think you're right. I had fiddled with the various setting and now, even in the latest super hot weather this noise has disappeared. I ought to try to reproduce it so that I at least understand exactly what it is, but I can't be bothered!

In other news, I did my first brim-to-brim refill this weekend, and there's obviously something wrong with my car: I got 29.4mpg! I'm obviously not trying hard enough.

During that time I did the Cressing Temple show (including a quick convoy run led by an F50)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5526/9286112322_5363ce2963_z.jpg

And also PH's Sunday Service at Vauxhall Q in Luton:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5516/9336024730_d517443bbe_c.jpg

And a short stop at a supercar meet near Bedford (attached)
11845:

Now, this is meant to be a build thread, so I really ought to get on with proper work.

First job and MOST pressing is is to contact the last-but-one owner to get confirmation re timing belt replacement). It's not documented, but was claimed by the last owner.

Then to get the tow-eye cover - as shown above, the NSX looks like a gap-toothed child without it. About $30 and sprayed in the right colour from the US, or about £40 used (in the wrong colour) in the UK, or £65 new from HUK.

In other news, I'm living with the Charlotte Green for the time being. Will it grow on me... we'll see.