PDA

View Full Version : ABS TCS Brake light warning lights

kevinpsw
13-03-2006, 02:15 PM
I picked up my NSX yesterday and drove the best part of 100 miles OK. All warning lights came on when you turn the ignition key and then went out as the car starts.

Today, after a very short drive the brake light warning light came on - presumably a bulb has gone, and then 2-3 minutes later the ABS and TCS lights came on simultaneously and stayed on. Stopping and restarting the car, the ABS and TCS lights came on, went out as the engine started and then 1 mile up the road the ABS and TCS lights again came on simultaneously.

Any suggestions? I don't have a handbook to look anything up yet?

markc
13-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Sounds more like one of the ABS sensors has gone bad.

If you've picked it up from a service or repair they may have not reconncetd one fully or done something to damage (squash) a wire or similar when working on the car OR the sensor may just have failed.

Doesn't sound too expensive even if whoever performed the service won't pick up the bill.

Cheers

Mark

kevinpsw
13-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Would such a fault affect both the TCS and ALB simultaneously? Does the TCS receive inputs from the ALB system?

It's the fact that both warning lights come on together that makes me think it must be a component common to both systems.

simonprelude
13-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Very possibly, would also check fluid levels.

kevinpsw
13-03-2006, 04:04 PM
This seems strange to me but, after getting a new brake light bulb and fitting it, all is well. I've taken it for a test drive and the lights now don't come on. At a guess, and I have no understanding of how either a TCS or ALB system must work, I would say that one of the two systems must take some sort of feed off of the brake light circuit, perhaps in its diagnosis process.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for no reoccurrence of the problem but, if it does, I'll try the sensor route. Thanks for responding, I think there may be other such dramas in the days and weeks to come.

Mr_Spanners
13-03-2006, 05:04 PM
A blown brake light bulb WILL trigger the ABS light (and TCS) as the change in drawn current through the circuit is enough to throw an error code!

Replacing the blub and resetting the ECU will do the trick! :D

Papalazarou
13-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Damn! I knew that one.

Greybloke
13-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Damn! I knew that one.

me too :cry:
I've had this happen severall times, the first time it freeked me :?

NSA
15-03-2006, 12:49 PM
My TCS and ABS lights came on only after I'd taken it in for a service. A coincidence I'm sure.

Papalazarou
15-03-2006, 07:16 PM
OK then, lets see how smart you are, for 10 points, what does it mean when the ECL and TCS lights come on at the same time?

James.

p.s, no cheating, i.e; searching through prime or this forum!

NSA
16-03-2006, 10:30 AM
The speed and oxygen sensors seem to be the most regular reasons for turning on the warning lights, so I'll go with oxygen sensor. Can't see why it would turn the TCS light on, but that's my guess.

duncan
16-03-2006, 01:50 PM
What does it mean, it means time to open your wallet and repeat the mantra "help yourself" to the nice man at the dealers.
OR If you dont want to do that, use a jumper lead in the test sockets and read each of the blink codes in the respective warning lights.

Papalazarou
16-03-2006, 06:19 PM
The answer is 'oxygen sensor' which often triggers the TCS as well. Well done NSA!

James :)