PDA

View Full Version : Engine Life

darkblueturbo
12-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Hi there,

I posted a while ago, am a prospective NSX owner but things like buying a new house and the Mrs. not letting me sell the Scooby means it's taking me a long time to get the money!!

I'm much closer now and should be looking to buy in the late summer months (please, please, please) but obviously my budget will be looking at a 94 or earlier, which is fine, but those within budget I've seen have quite high mileage. Chiswick Honda currently have one over 100,000 miles and others are 70 - 80k.
Now I know that's not really a lot for a car getting on for 15 years old and I'm well aware of Honda's legendary reliability (Fireblade owner for a few years - sold to a friend for the NSX fund at the end of last summer) but I just wondered if there are any problems people know of on these engine's when they get over a certain mileage.

I've done a lot of searching in google and this site but can't find anything relating to engine's (and indeed suspension component - most notably springs and dampers) not lasting over a certain mileage, which I would take as a good sign.

Obviously a car that's been used on steady motorway cruise for most of it's miles will be in better condition all round than one that's spent most of those miles on B roads and trackdays, I just wondered if there was any general problems on these higher mileage cars, which is why they're up for sale now- just ahead of a large bill, as with so many RX7's going for sale at around 60k before the legendary rotary rebuild.

Thanks guys n gals...

Last thing I think of before I go to bed and the first thing in the morning... One day I'll have a shiny red one :-)

Rob_Fenn
13-03-2006, 11:22 AM
I see no reason why it wouldn't last as long as any other engine, so 300,000 miles plus.

I believe the 3.0 isn't as strong as the 3.2, different head gaskets or something.

darkblueturbo
13-03-2006, 10:56 PM
That's good news - I just wondered, mainly cos of the extra VTEC bits on it and the fact that it's a high performance engine.

How about the springs and dampers? Does anyone know when you'd expect to see them start to get tired, so I can budget for OEM replacements.

Cheers

Rob_Fenn
13-03-2006, 11:27 PM
OEM replacements? You're joking right? :wink:

darkblueturbo
13-03-2006, 11:36 PM
As in standard parts, right? No, I'm not joking - I want my NSX to be totally standard - other than a sports exhaust to make it louder :-)

simonprelude
14-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I thought that too, when looking at Honda prices and aftermarket prices (and quality) it starts to make little sense though. If you are changing the exhaust then all the keeping it standard policies will soon go out of the window.

As in standard parts, right? No, I'm not joking - I want my NSX to be totally standard - other than a sports exhaust to make it louder :-)

darkblueturbo
14-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I've been and done the modding thing - the NSX will be as Soichiro intended it. I can do an exhaust for the noise without wanting to change the fabulous standard suspension for a lower, stiffer ride...

The main reason behind me wanting one is all these wonderful things everyone says about the quality of the ride and handling and the smile it gives you. Why would I want to make the ride less compliant by putting bigger wheels with thinner tyres and stiffer springs and dampers on.
I've been and done that and reverted back to smaller wheels and softer springs. They might work wonders on track but I've only ever done a couple of track days. I'm sure that the standard setup of an NSX will be more than enough for me and I certainly won't want to stiffen it up.

simonprelude
14-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I am currently trying to convince myself the only weak point is the brakes and that the NSX-R style rear spoiler will not help.............

It's not very easy, especially as Detlef keeps posting new pictures of lovely carbon bits :)

darkblueturbo
14-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Well there's nothing wrong with putting a Type-R spoiler on it. Or uprating the brakes, is there... :)

Martin
14-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi darkblueturbo!

Good luck with your plans to get an NSX, and along with everyone else on here, I think I can safely say you won't regret your purchase.

There's at least one NSX 3.0 in the states already over 300,000 miles on the clock, on its first engine. Not sure what Rob is talking about regarding the 3.2 having better life expectancy. Either way, both the 3.0 and 3.2 have excellent engine longevity.

Don't be put off by high-milers.

In my opinion, provided it is serviced regularly...and provided the engine is not unnaturally stressed with the addition of turbos or superchargers for example, there should still be absolutely loads of life left in the old dog.

I'm looking forward to the next 300,000 miles in mine :P

Accelera Comigo
16-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Mine had done 100,000 miles in 13 years when I sold it. Never had an engine fault, smooth as silk the day I sold it.

It had been at Suzuka for three years, then in Tokyo, then I had it for six years. Thrashed daily and never a problem.

Buy one.

Accelera Comigo

darkblueturbo
16-03-2006, 06:01 PM
That's the sort of stuff I like - no wonder I couldn't find anything on the web about engine faults!! :-)