PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Potential??

josewick
11-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Still looking for an NSX for this year project as a company demo..

Just like to see what kind of potential these machines are at what cost..

Certainly I have sold the skyline and want to move into the NSX scene for its STYLING but i hope it can perform just as good when it comes to power.

I am always a bit of a Turbo man so I would consider having a turbo kit if it comes to it.

What is tuning stage and what shall i expect??

Wanting about at least 400 bhp engine power (hopefully close to 500 bhp cos thats where i got to in the last motor)

also forgot to ask, what power can the std internal withstand???

cheers

Joe

jaytip
12-03-2006, 04:42 AM
I think you are completely missing the point of the NSX.It is not a big numbers car,it doesn't need it to live with the majority of fast cars over a good A OR B road.If big BHP numbers are important for you,i would say stick with the skyline because to get those sort of figures out of an NSX is going to cost HUUUGE money,plus there is no-one that i know of in the country(tuner wise) that knows how to do heavy mods to the NSX's engine.
Have you driven an NSX yet? If so you should now it's about userbility and out right ease of use,not performance figures.Somebody with enough money could get a nova to outdrag the NSX but the nova driver is NEVER going to get out of his car with the smile that the NSX driver will have on his face after a good cross country blast.
Sorry for droning on,I was getting a bit nostalgic then :oops:

Kevin
12-03-2006, 10:09 AM
It's huge amounts of money for part to upgrade the engine. Even then it won't take 500 bhp for long. It was never designed to be a turbo engine unlike a skyline.

sportyking
12-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Also worth considering, at best the value of the car will not increase anywhere in line with the cost of the mods. On such a limited appeal niche car it may even decrease.

Martin
12-03-2006, 10:22 PM
The NSX was designed from day 1 to be perfect, and doesnt need turbos or other dick-waving BHP items to get it from A to B at amazing speed with utterly sublime handling. :lol:

I agree with jaytip in that I think you are completely missing the point, if it is a project you are looking for.

I would highly recommend you drive one, if you havent already, and just watch the smile grow on your face. I think you will enjoy the car.

josewick
13-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys..

I did indeed have seen a couple of them and drove them and dont; get me wrong, in its basic form they are indeed very very impressive in the performance and handling..

And you are right, NSX is meant to be perfect as they come out of the factory and do not require any further tuning / modifying but sometimes, we just want to be a bit unique / different to others ( although NSX is rare enough that you don;t often get to see 2 or more at the same time on the road to compare (unless a meet or something)..

I stepped out owning a skyline because I have been working on them for over 5 years and they are still a fantastic car on performance and styling especially the R34s..

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned that I have come from a skyline scene on this NSX board as this often gives people the wrong impression that I am trying to rate this lower....

Also I strongly agree that adding all the extras to these niche models may sometimes decrease the value of the motor (of course i am not talking about fast and furious stickers :lol: ) but in my situation, I may find that benefit in drawing attentions to my products like bodystylings and tunings.. (Not that I will expect there is any of these market in the NSX world as NSX drivers may find them a bit OTT for their NSX).

Back to the point.. Is there any turbo'd / supercharged NSX in the UK??

Sorry if I have been a pain, just trying to get ideas really...

Thanks

britlude
13-03-2006, 08:47 AM
hi, each to their own, and all that... Have a look on Prime ( http://www.nsxprime.com ) as some of the Yanks have gone for forced induction, be it turbo or blown... Might give you some ideas.

Rob_Fenn
13-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Factor X in the States are making 900bhp NSXs!

The JGTC cars make 500bhp in turbo form as well don't they?

Rob_Fenn
13-03-2006, 09:15 AM
The NSX was designed from day 1 to be perfect, and doesnt need turbos or other dick-waving BHP items to get it from A to B at amazing speed with utterly sublime handling. :lol:

I agree with jaytip in that I think you are completely missing the point, if it is a project you are looking for.

I would highly recommend you drive one, if you havent already, and just watch the smile grow on your face. I think you will enjoy the car.

Bear in mind the NSX came out in the early '90s when 280bhp was still quite a bit. Today, hot hatches are approaching that horsepower! I somehow doubt the NSX due in 2007 will be packing anything under 350bhp...

I think the ideal upgrade for the NSX is the N/A upgrade by Science of Speed. Almost 400bhp without Turbo or Supercharger, now thats the Honda way :D

I do love the R34 Skylines, i attended a trackday at Silverstone with GTROC and thrashed the lot of them in a bog standard NSX though :wink:

jaytip
13-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Rob,i agree with what you are saying about the 280 bhp.It's not a lot of power compered to modern supercars,But then modern supercars are not fitted with a 15 year old engine.Forget the JGTC cars.The amount of money pumped into them is just silly,you may as well make the comparison of the new 2.4 600bhp+ n/a F1 engine.
Science of speed do offer a good package,and maybe factor X do as well.But let's look at the bigger picture.You have the cost of removing your engine shipping it to the states,getting all the work done,shipping it back,then re-fitting and THEN..THEN,you have to find somebody as good as SOS or factor X to do all the re-mapping of the engine once it's back in the car.
Phew,i know i wouldn't go to that sort of effort.

Rob_Fenn
13-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Well it certainly won't be cheap!

If Factor X have a kit ready form i'm sure someone like Plans Motorsport or Brodie Racing could do it.

Senninha
13-03-2006, 04:03 PM
HI Joe,

Looking at the attached URL underlines what the others have said about the high cost of extracting power form the NSX engine. They did however run a turbo themselves so may be able to offer an insight to performance and stats??

http://www.tdi-plc.com/NSX.html

Regards