PDA

View Full Version : Just in Time for the weekend

scottg
09-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I am pleased to say that my car is back home following an excursion to see Andy and Ben at VTEc direct.

Having owned the car for 8 months I wanted to cover some important service items and so I booked my car in with Andy and Ben for a timing belt, water pump, crankshaft pulley etc and they kindly lent me their Honda Legend to make the four hour drive home and await the call to collect it again.

When I arrived at the workshops one Saturday lunchtime I also asked the guys to look at a slow passenger window, refurb the valve covers, investigate a humming noise that was coming form the engine bay at low revs and a click from the steering rack.

Whilst there Ben suggested he put the car up on the lift and look at the steering noise. We all stood around the car as he manually moved the wheels from lock to lock and the grinding noise was not good.... my rack was bu**ered. It had clearly had replacement boots at some stage and too late to avoid contamination and partial distruction. We discussed the 10k Honda want for a new rack and I decided to call upon the community on the forum to see if anyone had a better idea.

Once again you guys came to the rescue and I was soon contacted by two forum members with offers of possible replacements. The first came from a 99 car and this would therefore require a new control unit and loom so a no go, the second was untested from a car broken for spares. The vendor (who I will name once he has confirmed he is happy to be named publically) offered to remove the rack and ship it to me on the basis that if it was good I paid the agreed price and if not I scrap it and think again. This act of good faith was very much appreciated and the rack was removed and shipped to Andy and Ben direct within a few days.

In between times other cars had come out of winter storage and the guys now had my car and two other NSX's in for work in addition to several track cars in need of prep for the first race of the season so it was a few days until my car made it back into the workshop (not helped by the old style water pump arriving and having to wait for the correct one). The engine was reassembled and the rack duly fitted and tested and to my great relief all was good. As the bank holiday weekend was now upon us Andy offered to drive the car down to me on Tuesday and collect their Legend at the same time, great service and very welcome knowing what bank holiday traffic can be like returning to the south coast.

Tuesday soon came and true to his word Andy arrived mid afternoon with my car and a boot full of old parts that were replaced at the right time by the look of them.
As it was a work day I had to come back to the office but could not wait to get home and take the car for a spin. The steering has never felt so good and the knowledge of having had the belt, water pump and crankshaft pulley changed gives me piece of mind. The window needs a new regulator so thats for another day but at least it goes up all be it slowly and the humming noise is an alternator bearing so that's going in for a refurb locally after Japfest this weekend. I can also reccomend the cam cover refurb from VTec direct mentioned a few months ago on the forum, they look great.

It only remains for me to say thank you to Andy and Ben for all their hard work and to the Forum member that trusted me by shipping the rack with no initial payment. I don't know of any other club that can boast a better community willing to help fellow enthusiasts.

Roll on Saturday and Japfest, it was tight but i'll make it.

Update:

Just heard back from Kristian at ATR Racing who is happy to be named for his help in supply the steering rack on trust, shipped to the UK on approval no less. As Kristian hadn't every driven the car the rack came from he couldn't guarantee it would be OK hence the 'no win no fee' approach. Thank you Kristian you are a gentleman, payment has been sent this afternoon.

NSX 2000
09-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Really good news that the Club has done you proud ;)

Now if we can just stop the gossiping about the cars for sale we would probably be the best car club in the world :D

mjames75
13-05-2013, 12:31 AM

Now if we can just stop the gossiping about the cars for sale we would probably be the best car club in the world :D

agreed!!!!!

AR
13-05-2013, 05:56 AM

The pendulum swings both ways! Some amazing people here, some not so much.