PDA

View Full Version : Key for facelift

gcon45
12-04-2013, 05:07 PM
My NSX came with just one key and I'd like to get a spare.

What are the options for the facelifts?

I remember someone mentioning there's a chip inside the facelift keys, which means a replacement / spare will have to come from Honda.

Is this true?

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-04-2013, 11:43 AM
If you want the OEM look, then best to get the OEM spare main/sub immobilizer key and have the code registered to the ECU at your local Honda garage.

In Japan, the OEM main immobilizer key came with the ‘NSX’ logo on it (‘NSX-R’ logo for the NSX-R) but in UK, it seems that it’s the same one shared with other models.
If you provide them with your VIN, they should be able to advise you on the proper key model and estimated cost for the programming.

I don’t have any experiences using the following services in UK but there are lots of mobile emergency key cutting and code copying/registering services in Japan including the one for Honda immobiliser system.
They show up in a small van with so many equipments inside and they carry all sorts of aftermarket immobiliser keys.
I won’t go into details for the security reason but they can create immobiliser key even without resetting the existing key code inside the ECU.

If the worst comes, there is a way to disable the system but again, I won’t post it on the web.

The OEM immobilizer key used to be fairly cheap but now it looks like about GBP44???

Programming of key ID into ECU is simple step but because it is security related task, it could be expensive so better get the quote.

If you can find the third company who can do the similar service as above, you can then compare the total cost.

Kaz

Nick Graves
13-04-2013, 04:08 PM
What Kaz say; you can always gooogle your friendly local vehicle locksmith.

I've done it with the 'Lude.

gcon45
15-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks lads.

Just ordered a spare main key from Honda.

Worked out around £80 including programming so not too bad.

gcon45
01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
The key arrived and I took the car over to get it coded today.

Turns out they need the red 'master' key to be able to program the new key, which I or the previous owner don't have.

So I've got a new key that can only really open the door.

My 2 options are:

1: get the new key cloned from my original by a man in a van
2: disable the factory immobiliser so the car can be started with a non-coded key

The car has a Cobra cat 1 alarm / immobiliser fitted anyway so that's more than enough.

Does anyone know how to deactivate the factory immobiliser?