PDA

View Full Version : I hate you guys!!!......

Problem Child
31-03-2013, 10:54 AM
When I bought my NSX I said "No, I am keeping it in standard trim" Now here I am with a list as long as my arm of mods I have done and now plan to do. It started with changing the gear knob. No harm in that (or so I thought), then it was the antenna. Changed it for a small rubberised "bee sting" style, and lost my AM coverage as a result. Then came the Double Din hifi/ phone/ DAB/twatnav (which is fantastic! and got Talksport back too). Oh, dont forget the water pump, belts and cam belt etc etc

New wheels and a ZD exhaust are both on the list for later this year

I also have a spareparts bin second to none!

Its going for a paintwork detail next weekend and to do it properly he has to take off the rear spolier. And that got me thinking.....Whilst its off why not replace it with a carbon fibre NSX-R rear spoliler? I fancy the CF version as mine is a red on red NA2 and its just too red, so thought the CF would break the red up just a bit. Looked at the real thing @ £4800, then there is the Seibon or the Taitec versions (with rear light fitting). Which do you recommend? Thoughts please

Love you guys for the advice you all give but hate you for getting me started on the mods!!!

Kaz-kzukNA1
31-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi, Geoff.

If you are installing the wing for the looks, then that’s fine.
If you are going for the aero reason, then think twice because the downforce is too much for the standard NSX chassis setup and you will loose steering info at high speed.
NSX-R wing was carefully designed using wind tunnel with NSX-R setup. This is the reason why Honda Access designed completely different rear wing for their Modulo NSX.

Please note that the panel/wing/etc alignment of any exterior parts (regardless of OEM or aftermarket) installed after leaving the Honda factory won’t be perfect.
This is because each NSX has been assembled with different thickness of shim and the aluminium panels were hand beaten or even carefully filed by the selected craftsmen that even a new OEM panel won’t be a perfect fit without these special treatments.

Taking the above points in consideration and from what I saw on many NSX in Japan and UK, I think one of the best quality/fitting is the one from Detlef, Procar Specials.

He has access to the real NSX-R parts so this is one of the reason why his product has good alignment.
For the rear wing, I think there were several options such as with/without the 3rd brake light, the coating/surface finish, etc but best to check with him as I think it’s not stocked regularly.
You can find all sorts of contact details for Detlef through his vendor page in ‘NSXCB Vendors’ forum.

Not sure whether 'Sudesh' has the rear wing in his product range or not but worth checking with him.
No doubt you have seen his ‘Refresh’ thread and that tells everything.

Kaz

L696ULO
31-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi Geoff

I did say to Senninha last year that you were on the slippery mod slope when you were salivating over his exhaust note!

Nice to see that have finally come around to the fact that red/black are faster than all red, not sure a CF spoiler counts as black though, lol.

Rich

Problem Child
31-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi, Geoff.

If you are installing the wing for the looks, then that’s fine.
If you are going for the aero reason, then think twice because the downforce is too much for the standard NSX chassis setup and you will loose steering info at high speed.
NSX-R wing was carefully designed using wind tunnel with NSX-R setup. This is the reason why Honda Access designed completely different rear wing for their Modulo NSX.

Please note that the panel/wing/etc alignment of any exterior parts (regardless of OEM or aftermarket) installed after leaving the Honda factory won’t be perfect.
This is because each NSX has been assembled with different thickness of shim and the aluminium panels were hand beaten or even carefully filed by the selected craftsmen that even a new OEM panel won’t be a perfect fit without these special treatments.

Taking the above points in consideration and from what I saw on many NSX in Japan and UK, I think one of the best quality/fitting is the one from Detlef, Procar Specials.

He has access to the real NSX-R parts so this is one of the reason why his product has good alignment.
For the rear wing, I think there were several options such as with/without the 3rd brake light, the coating/surface finish, etc but best to check with him as I think it’s not stocked regularly.
You can find all sorts of contact details for Detlef through his vendor page in ‘NSXCB Vendors’ forum.

Not sure whether 'Sudesh' has the rear wing in his product range or not but worth checking with him.
No doubt you have seen his ‘Refresh’ thread and that tells everything.

Kaz

Sudesh?????......what have you got lurking in your garage?

Senninha
31-03-2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/36427-Procar-Specials-NSX/page62?p=1679307&viewfull=1#post1679307

scroll down for Detlefs new rear spoiler ... In stock ready to ship ....

As you know, I have front and rear aero package for reason explained by Kaz ... However, not sure you'll be fast enough to worry about it :D, so should be fine with rear only.

If talking to Detlef, consider his intake for when you fit Arys zorst ...

rgds, Paul

NSX 2000
31-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Hi Geoff,

I've also been thinking of getting Detlef's rear spoiler, so if you do decide ask if he will do a deal for 2

Cheers Paul

Tokyo-Joe
01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
I opted for the seibon, fit is not perfect but not bad in my eyes. I am happy with it.

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Hi Geoff,

I've also been thinking of getting Detlef's rear spoiler, so if you do decide ask if he will do a deal for 2

Cheers Paul

I have emailed him for price on the NSX R CF with LED model

gumball
01-04-2013, 09:20 AM
It's a slippery slope. I have tired of the looks of my one, so I'm going to get one of those beatiful 430 kits to spruce it up to look like my favourit Ferrari.

Senninha
01-04-2013, 09:34 AM
It's a slippery slope. I have tired of the looks of my one, so I'm going to get one of those beatiful 430 kits to spruce it up to look like my favourit Ferrari.

you are such a tease ... Be sure to keep the parts so you can revert to OEM later, lol

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Hi Geoff,

Cheers Paul

I have PM'd you with his price

NSX 2000
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks Geoff

Senninha
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Hi Geoff

I did say to Senninha last year that you were on the slippery mod slope when you were salivating over his exhaust note!

Rich

i remember that conversation ...

The trouble is that his first mod and he's been adding weight with the stereo and console so his NSX has achieved the unthinkable ... his NSX is now even slower ... Lol

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 10:30 AM
i remember that conversation ...

The trouble is that his first mod and he's been adding weight with the stereo and console so his NSX has achieved the unthinkable ... his NSX is now even slower ... Lol

You are a wag, Paul!

The additional weight of the gear knob, the reduced weight of the hifi etc etc etc are not the problem....my fat backside is!!!

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 10:34 AM
I have PM'd you with his price

Oooh that hurt! Much as Detlefs rear spoiler is beautiful. I am sure it is fantastic value, but out of my budget!

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Geoff

Nice to see that have finally come around to the fact that red/black are faster than all red, not sure a CF spoiler counts as black though, lol.

Rich

Our senninha needs to be careful, as the real senninhas car is red too

drmikey
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Oooh that hurt! Much as Detlefs rear spoiler is beautiful. I am sure it is fantastic value, but out of my budget!

I'm getting a Seibon TR rear spoiler. Pretty good value at about £480 delivered

They have also just redone the mouldings for it as the fit wasnt quite perfect before.

http://i28.tinypic.com/ip2gqf.jpg

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 10:46 AM

They have also just redone the mouldings for it as the fit wasnt quite perfect before.

This one....

http://seiboncarbon.co.uk/tr-style-carbon-fiber-rear-spoiler-for-1992-2005-acura-nsx.html

What sort of finish does it have? |Can you post some close up pictures?

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 10:56 AM

Cant quite make it out in your picture but does it have the LED?

drmikey
01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Cant quite make it out in your picture but does it have the LED?

Not sure if it has an LED tbh and I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but its the usual seibon high gloss carbon finish.

They are on ebay for around £450 delivered but waiting time is about 10 weeks from them.

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Not sure if it has an LED tbh and I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but its the usual seibon high gloss carbon finish.

They are on ebay for around £450 delivered but waiting time is about 10 weeks from them.

I have emailed Seibon UK to find out, thanks

Senninha
01-04-2013, 05:01 PM
http://moyanodesign.com/nsx/nsx_advan5/DSC_0587.jpg

HI Geoff,

Is this the look you're after? R replica spoiler, should think about 02 rear valence and then a nice set of alloys.

For the spoiler \ rear valence go to www.scienceofspeed.com (http://www.scienceofspeed.com) if Procar out of budget ... choice of OEM replica spoiler of the Df version (same as mine) as I prefer the lines of this. As for the alloys, I can put you in touch with Chris on Prime who has either a 17/17 or 17/18 set if you're quick

and BTW, the car you refer to was Black \ Red, not plain slow red ;o)

regards, Paul

britlude
01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
oh dear... it's a slippery slope.....

TheSebringOne
01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
I wonder how many true OEMs are left out there, apart from the tyres?

drmikey
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
I was going to opt for a downforce one but even the FRP one was going to work out twice the price of the Seibon carbon one by the time it got to the UK

nobby
01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
hi paul

did you get the rear valence kit from SOS?

is it a good fit?

instead of baiting geoff you now have me on the verge of being hooked :)

AR
01-04-2013, 06:57 PM
FWIW Kaz is right about the light feel on a stock aero front NSX, just my .2p.

Seibon is or has been hit and miss for me before.

Problem Child
01-04-2013, 09:19 PM
http://moyanodesign.com/nsx/nsx_advan5/DSC_0587.jpg

HI Geoff,

Is this the look you're after? R replica spoiler, should think about 02 rear valence and then a nice set of alloys.

For the spoiler \ rear valence go to www.scienceofspeed.com (http://www.scienceofspeed.com) if Procar out of budget ... choice of OEM replica spoiler of the Df version (same as mine) as I prefer the lines of this. As for the alloys, I can put you in touch with Chris on Prime who has either a 17/17 or 17/18 set if you're quick

and BTW, the car you refer to was Black \ Red, not plain slow red ;o)

regards, Paul

Thats exactly the look I am after

Senninha
01-04-2013, 09:25 PM
hi paul

did you get the rear valence kit from SOS?

is it a good fit?

instead of baiting geoff you now have me on the verge of being hooked :)

DF-R rear spoiler as I prefer the way it aligns to the boot lid sides. My valence is OEM sourced from Dirk.

I suggested a multiple unit purchase as from the States you might as well bundle as filling a large box with several items is cost effective .... I might add to an order if one is made as I looked at a part recently that was $250 yet would cost $280 to ship on its own.

regards, Paul

nobby
01-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks Paul,

Re SOS I was looking at this link for the valence - http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/aero_underbody.asp

Would this be the correct kit ($850)?

i would be interested in seeing if any other members was interested and perhaps get a few shipped in one box; SOS shipping can be expensive so every little helps.

Interesting comments re NSX-R rear spoiler ... Still would like one though

DF-R rear spoiler as I prefer the way it aligns to the boot lid sides. My valence is OEM sourced from Dirk.

I suggested a multiple unit purchase as from the States you might as well bundle as filling a large box with several items is cost effective .... I might add to an order if one is made as I looked at a part recently that was $250 yet would cost $280 to ship on its own.

regards, Paul

m666 edd
01-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Just an observation - The SoS supplied rear valance is only suitable for US/JDM models due to the number plate recess dimensions so would be fine for nobby's Japanese spec NSX but not for the majority of the UK spec NSXs here.

Silver Surfer
01-04-2013, 11:25 PM
At this rate..by the end of this....Geoff will have the most modified NSX.. rather than the most OEM he initially indicated......;)

SS

nobby
02-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Jee whizz, I actually forgot about that issue!

need to drop SOS a line to find out a bit more about their kit.

cheers for the 'smack in the head' :)

Just an observation - The SoS supplied rear valance is only suitable for US/JDM models due to the number plate recess dimensions so would be fine for nobby's Japanese spec NSX but not for the majority of the UK spec NSXs here.

Senninha
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
For info my valance is also JDM but works with the UKDM set up ... a small 'mod' by Dirk that I'd guess would work for the SoS (DF) valance

Andrew, a call into SoS should be able to clarify this for all.

m666 edd
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Paul, Does the 'mod' add to the number plate recess area so it matches the upper bumper? Sounds like a good solution whatever it is!

Andrew, it wasn't intended to be a 'smack in the head' I thought I worded it well :)

We should start a thread dedicated to Mods, I bet it would get a lot of posts. People seem scared to start threads but not reply to threads.

Senninha
02-04-2013, 11:14 AM
TBH I dont remember what Dirk did as he did this ahead of delivery to me. The upside is that yes, it works with the UKDM number plate set up ...

nobby
02-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Lol ... U had it worded very well but smack in the head by myself re this :)

Paul, Does the 'mod' add to the number plate recess area so it matches the upper bumper? Sounds like a good solution whatever it is!

Andrew, it wasn't intended to be a 'smack in the head' I thought I worded it well :)

We should start a thread dedicated to Mods, I bet it would get a lot of posts. People seem scared to start threads but not reply to threads.

nigel
02-04-2013, 09:32 PM
One well known lad at Prime refers to mods on the NSX as the "NSX Crack Pipe" as it only takes one small change and you're immediately hooked.
BEWARE, there are many out there including myself that have said, "Just one minor bit and that's all !!!!!"

Cheers
nigel

Sudesh
02-04-2013, 09:37 PM
One well known lad at Prime refers to mods on the NSX as the "NSX Crack Pipe" as it only takes one small change and you're immediately hooked.
BEWARE, there are many out there including myself that have said, "Just one minor bit and that's all !!!!!"

Cheers
nigel

I started with those very words lol

Some years later, still doing it!

nobby
03-04-2013, 06:53 AM
And your the best "dealer" for it around! :)

I started with those very words lol

Some years later, still doing it!

gumball
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Cheers
nigel

Rear roll bar, exhaust and clutch bypass. Mine is done. All the rest will stay as is.

nobby
03-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Strictly speaking NOT OEM, so you have modifed like most on here! :)

Rear roll bar, exhaust and clutch bypass. Mine is done. All the rest will stay as is.

gumball
03-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Strictly speaking NOT OEM, so you have modifed like most on here! :)

Didn't say it was though did I. ;)
Merely pointing out that you can quite at any point, prior to too far. :)

Edit: Or 'quit' even.

nobby
03-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Yeeeooooww! :)

Didn't say it was though did I. ;)
Merely pointing out that you can quite at any point, prior to too far. :)

Senninha
03-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Geoff,

getting back on track, these are new and coming to market in May

http://www.ozracing.co.uk/car_wheels_var/OZ%20Racing/25182/I%20-%20TECH/FORMULA%20HLT/561089.aspx#

I don't know if they offer the right offsets for our cars, you will need to research this. The spoke design running to the edge of the rim makes them look larger, so. 17/18 combo would give you the stance of the earlier photo. Prices from £300 per wheel is good too.

regards, Paul

Problem Child
03-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Geoff,

getting back on track, these are new and coming to market in May

http://www.ozracing.co.uk/car_wheels_var/OZ%20Racing/25182/I%20-%20TECH/FORMULA%20HLT/561089.aspx#

I don't know if they offer the right offsets for our cars, you will need to research this. The spoke design running to the edge of the rim makes them look larger, so. 17/18 combo would give you the stance of the earlier photo. Prices from £300 per wheel is good too.

regards, Paul

Nice but I think I will stay with 16/17 combination, and try to get a twin 5 spoke wheel....these ones start at 17"

nobby
04-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Geoff, if I was looking at replacement alloys I would definitely consider bigger wheels perhaps 17's all round or what Paul has stated. The NSX has a better stance with bigger wheels, but your choice at end of the day. Good luck with whatever you decide

Senninha
04-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Nice but I think I will stay with 16/17 combination, and try to get a twin 5 spoke wheel....these ones start at 17"

Mmm, me suspects you're not a committed modder, LoL

16/17 would need very careful style selection otherwise they could a) look smaller than OEM b) have poor offsets so look further tucked into the arches c) possibly restrict tyre choices and d) leave you wishing you could lower the suspension as it could end up looking like an NSX 4x4 ...

If you're not keen on 17\18, then as Andrew suggests, maybe consider 17\17

Sudesh
04-04-2013, 10:11 AM
I'd also consider larger wheels, but only rim for me is prodrive GC-O7C, for now though other more important project to attend too.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/485695_456674681037731_1232010495_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/525646_456671317704734_607995766_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/415774_456730254365507_69497809_o.jpg

Sudesh
04-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Sudesh?????......what have you got lurking in your garage?

Sorry dude! Missed this.

I have an NSX-R replica spoiler in the garage [Thanks to Andrew] but its up to the CF guys if they want to replicate/produce these to sell.

nobby
04-04-2013, 11:15 AM
you big tease - re posts 49 and 50!

:)

Senninha
04-04-2013, 07:38 PM
I'd also consider larger wheels, but only rim for me is prodrive GC-O7C, for now though other more important project to attend too.

A great rim for the NSX however I dont think they are produced anymore ....

Sudesh
04-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Yeah that's correct, Id buy a used set though if they ever came up forsale.

Problem Child
04-04-2013, 09:15 PM

Ok, OK you win.....I wanted to stay with the 16's and 17's so I didnt mess with the handling or the traction control as per posts on earlier discussions about upgrading wheels. But the choice of 16's and 17's is poor and I cannot get the (AEZ Portofino's or ENkei RSF5's) twin 5 spoke style that I want so 17/17 or 17/18 it will have to be. I'm off to research them now. Question.....

I have 16x7 et55 and 17x8.5 et 60. What size do I do for??? I found this website and below are the sizes it says I could go to:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/1998/1106495/honda_nsx.html

Front Rim size:

8 J x 17 H2

Bolt pattern:

5 x 114.3 mm

Hub centerbore:

70 mm

Offset

ET = 40 mm

Rear Rim size:

10 J x 18 H2

Bolt pattern:

5 x 114.3 mm

Hub centerbore:

64 mm

Offset

ET = 45 mm

Rim type:

alloy

Remarks:

rear axle

What do you guys think?

Senninha
04-04-2013, 09:26 PM
What you propose should fill the arches a bit, but for a fuller option you could go with 18x9 35mm with the 17x8 +38mm ... this would give the stance in the earlier photo ... tyres 265\35 rr and 215\40 front and you'll get no TCS issues as this is the same as 17/18 Enkei set up I was running last year ... mine are not twin spoke but NA1R style so probably not of interest

JUST SPOTTED THIS ...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/158328-Advan-AVS-Model-5-s-where-are-you-at/page27?p=1686766&viewfull=1#post1686766

These are THE wheels in the photo I posted ... they will sell very quickly in either of the sizes Chris is advertising. PM me if you want to know pricing.

(Usual disclaimers, no personal interest in the sale but was looking at another set Chris has hence I obtained info that may help others)

Problem Child
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
What you propose should fill the arches a bit, but for a fuller option you could go with 18x9 35mm with the 17x8 +38mm ... this would give the stance in the earlier photo ... tyres 265\35 rr and 215\40 front and you'll get no TCS issues as this is the same as 17/18 Enkei set up I was running last year ... mine are not twin spoke but NA1R style so probably not of interest

JUST SPOTTED THIS ...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/158328-Advan-AVS-Model-5-s-where-are-you-at/page27?p=1686766&viewfull=1#post1686766

These are THE wheels in the photo I posted ... they will sell very quickly in either of the sizes Chris is advertising. PM me if you want to know pricing.

(Usual disclaimers, no personal interest in the sale but was looking at another set Chris has hence I obtained info that may help others)

Those combinations result in a speedo error of 0.3% on the fronts and 2.3% on the rears is this difference between front and rear variance an issue?

Senninha
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Only for the Vmax guys as the larger wheels deliver a lower top speed ... I'm not aware of any other issues Geoff

What about 02 OEM wheels?

http://radio.jonathanallyn.com/NSX/NSXred.jpg

There was a replica set on Prime a couple of weeks ago, have a look in the Parts for Sale if interested .. /\/\ looks good

Problem Child
07-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Only for the Vmax guys as the larger wheels deliver a lower top speed ... I'm not aware of any other issues Geoff

What about 02 OEM wheels?

http://radio.jonathanallyn.com/NSX/NSXred.jpg

There was a replica set on Prime a couple of weeks ago, have a look in the Parts for Sale if interested .. /\/\ looks good

Maybe a shade too dark for what I want, but nice and worth considering. Found this nice little site that allows you to compare sizes of wheels and tyres offsets etc.....very handy. I do wish Americans would learn to spell though!

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Problem Child
08-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Maybe a shade too dark for what I want, but nice and worth considering. Found this nice little site that allows you to compare sizes of wheels and tyres offsets etc.....very handy. I do wish Americans would learn to spell though!http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jspPaul, how do you think 18x8 with 215x35 et 40 would work on the front. According to the URL above it compares well with the NSX std front 16x7 et 55...How do you think it would handle, TCS etc? I would have 18x9 or 9.5's on the rear

Wheel I am looking at is the TSW Mirabeau

Senninha
08-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Whilst 18's all round would work there are two considerations in my view ...

1. the front 35 profile will be VERY low and offer little wheel protection and I would be surprised if you didnt end up replacing front tyres due to excess pothole damage causing tyre damage such as splits / buldges
2. due to low profile fo front tyres, high risk of wheel damage
3. 8" fronts and you need min 9.5" rears to enable tyres (265) to sit properly on the rim

the 40 offset still keeps the rim inside the arch, on 18's you would be pushing the limts at 30 and probably need to roll the inner arch to avoid bodywork damage IIRC

Happy hunting, Paul

Senninha
15-04-2013, 08:01 AM
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/171719-2000-Monaco-Blue-Tan-6-speed-84K-miles-JH4NA2169YT000122

not advertised but worth an enquiry if you fancy 02's?