PDA

View Full Version : Lower front ball joint replacement

Papalazarou
27-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Just thought you guys might be interested in this....

I had my car MOT'd a couple of months back and the MOT tester found the nearside lower ball joint was getting a bit worn. The offside was much better, but because I'm a little OCD I decided to get them both replaced. Ignorant to the cost involved, I went to Honda and got a quote for two hub carriers of £1900! As many of you probably know, Honda don't replace ball joints. Only the expensive pieces of alloy they sit in.

Anyway, I'd remembered reading some stuff on Prime about replacement joints. So I spoke to this guy called Steve and he sorted me out with a pair.
Normally they do an exchange, but there was no way I was sending two big lumps of hub carrier to the states and waiting a few weeks to get them back.
Luckily, there is a fantastic machine shop close to me. I took them in last week and they turned the job around in a few days. They also sand blasted the parts, so they look brand new.

So. If anyone's wincing at the Honda price of £1900.00 + estimated £400.00 labour. I suggest you guys look at this option first.

The total cost was:

Ball joints = £250.00 approx.
Customs charge = £38.00
Press and fit = £74.00

Total = £362.00

NB: This doesn't include the labour involved in stripping the suspension down and reassembly. A rough estimate would be four hours all-in. At a good independent garage this would cost around £200.00+vat.
It is however a straight forward DIY job.

Cheers,

James.

Details below;

Steve Ghent - NSX4track@aol.com = for the ball joints.

http://www.hamlinsengineering.co.uk/ = The machine shop that removed the old joint and pressed in the new one.

scottg
27-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Wow, thats quite some saving Steve. Thank you for sharing this in advance of needing ball joints one day.

nobby
27-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Thank you James!

just to clarify, on receiving parts from US, was the press & fit the work done by local engineering firm?

Papalazarou
27-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Thank you James!

just to clarify, on receiving parts from US, was the press & fit the work done by local engineering firm?

Hi Andrew,

Yes, the press and fit was done by the UK engineering firm. They turned it around in a few days. I notice the guy from the states who does the lower ball joints also makes all the other joints for the NSX.
Just amended my original post as it was a bit vague;-)

Cheers.

mutley
28-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Very interesting indeed, I had this as an advisory on my last MoT so I guess they will be goosed for the next one. Good find James

Cheers
Jim

Nick Graves
30-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Great tip James - thanks!

If they could make a tool to press off caster adjusters, we'd be laughing...

Ciaran
30-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Hi James, I just had both fail my NCT (Irish equivalent of MOT). I emailed Steve last Thursday evening, (mid afternoon Stateside), but I have not heard back...?? was he reliable on email when you were dealing with him..??

Papalazarou
31-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Hi James, I just had both fail my NCT (Irish equivalent of MOT). I emailed Steve last Thursday evening, (mid afternoon Stateside), but I have not heard back...?? was he reliable on email when you were dealing with him..??

Hi Ciaran,

He was pretty quick getting back to me, but I have PM'd you alternative contact details which might help.

Cheers.

Sudesh
31-03-2013, 10:42 AM
This is really good info, worth making it a sticky, as at some stage we all will probably need this service.

Thanks for posting it up James.

Papalazarou
31-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys.

Here's the price-list I was sent from Steve. It may not be totally up to date, but it gives a rough idea of pricing and available products.
The ball joint fitted really well by the way. Regarding the guarantee below. I assume this is only valid when fitted by Steve.

Cheers.

NSX BALL JOINTS & MONO BALLS
PRICE SHEET - ALL YEARS

The following parts exceed the quality OEM and are stronger; they have a 3 year limited warrantee for street use (Excludes track or Race usage) and must be installed by us.

Front
1. Front upper control arm ball joint installed $235.00 ea
2. Front lower control arm ball joint installed $235.00 ea​
3. Front knuckle ball joints installed (qty 2) $205.00 ea
4. Front knuckle ball joints (not installed) $170.00 ea

Rear
4. Rear upper control arm ball joint installed $285.00 ea
5. Rear upper control arm mono balls installed $225.00 ea
6. Rear knuckle ball joint installed $205.00 ea
7. Rear knuckle ball joint (not installed) $170.00 ea
8. Rear camber bushing (+4 to -4 deg adjustable) $60.00 ea

vtecdirect
17-04-2013, 11:27 AM
We have found two nsx's in last 3 months with play in front lower ball joints. We also machine ball joints to fix the issue. We charge £300 a side, which includes labour, and anyone who has tried to strip a front hub off an NSX will know its a long job with a lot of effort and time required. We also always re align front geometry following the removal of front hub carriers and ball joint replacement.

nobby
17-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Thats great to hear!

We have found two nsx's in last 3 months with play in front lower ball joints. We also machine ball joints to fix the issue. We charge £300 a side, which includes labour, and anyone who has tried to strip a front hub off an NSX will know its a long job with a lot of effort and time required. We also always re align front geometry following the removal of front hub carriers and ball joint replacement.

swhatley82
17-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Hi Andy, how much for just the part, I need front right lower ball joint, thanks

vtecdirect
22-04-2013, 08:48 AM
We cant just sell the part as we need to ensure each hub is identically press fitted with new joint. Sorry. Not trying to be difficult in any way but it is a fairly important part and we only do self fitment here on that. Sorry.

swhatley82
01-05-2013, 01:09 PM
We cant just sell the part as we need to ensure each hub is identically press fitted with new joint. Sorry. Not trying to be difficult in any way but it is a fairly important part and we only do self fitment here on that. Sorry.

Hi Andy, that makes sense really.
tried to call earlier but no answer, could you book me in to get this part sorted please?

regards
scott

Papalazarou
01-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Andy,

Just out of interest, do you get your ball joints from the UK? Just curious to know whether there's another manufacturer that makes one that would fit the NSX.
Also, which part needs to be machined and why?

Cheers,

James.

NSXGB
01-05-2013, 02:50 PM
.....following on from above, what about the other ball joints - in the A-arms for instance. Can you supply those too?

vtecdirect
02-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Hi Andy, that makes sense really.
tried to call earlier but no answer, could you book me in to get this part sorted please?

regards
scott

Hi Scott, sorry we were out at Oulton testing race car yesterday, we will be there today.

vtecdirect
02-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Andy,

Just out of interest, do you get your ball joints from the UK? Just curious to know whether there's another manufacturer that makes one that would fit the NSX.
Also, which part needs to be machined and why?

Cheers,

James.

James, yes ball joints are from uk, and there are three small machining jobs need to be done to ensure perfect fit. One is the circlip groove which is not present on the new joints so we machine one in. The other two are just sizing issues to ensure decent press fit tolerances.

vtecdirect
02-05-2013, 07:24 AM
.....following on from above, what about the other ball joints - in the A-arms for instance. Can you supply those too?
Not had to do any of those yet, but am pretty sure it wouldnt be an issue. We have an extensive range of ball joints to work with, and we never see a job as impossible, just a challenge to overcome.

harkes
14-01-2016, 05:26 AM
Hi there. I have my lower knuckle ball joints coming up for replacement. I contacted Steve Ghent about prices and he offered a 10% group buy discount if we buy +12 ball joints (a complete swap on 3 cars). Anyone else interested?

NSXGB
14-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Hi there. I have my lower knuckle ball joints coming up for replacement. I contacted Steve Ghent about prices and he offered a 10% group buy discount if we buy +12 ball joints (a complete swap on 3 cars). Anyone else interested?

Another recent option - http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/193876-Building-a-better-Ball-Joint-for-the-NSX-Carbon-6-Composites?highlight=Ball+joints

harkes
15-02-2016, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. I decided to try out the Rare Parts ones from Amazon...
Another recent option - http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/193876-Building-a-better-Ball-Joint-for-the-NSX-Carbon-6-Composites?highlight=Ball+joints

Phil_95_AT
10-06-2016, 02:12 PM
I can heartily recommend this method of sorting the worn lower ball joint...which came with the highest recommendation.
Long overdue thanks for the info, and to Steve Ghent + Hamlin's Engineering (It was last year...MOT lapsed as I had to get this sorted first...so I missed the 25th Anniversary parade at Silverstone!!!
Oh well...the 30th will come around soon enough)

Just thought you guys might be interested in this....

I had my car MOT'd a couple of months back and the MOT tester found the nearside lower ball joint was getting a bit worn. The offside was much better, but because I'm a little OCD I decided to get them both replaced. Ignorant to the cost involved, I went to Honda and got a quote for two hub carriers of £1900! As many of you probably know, Honda don't replace ball joints. Only the expensive pieces of alloy they sit in.

Anyway, I'd remembered reading some stuff on Prime about replacement joints. So I spoke to this guy called Steve and he sorted me out with a pair.
Normally they do an exchange, but there was no way I was sending two big lumps of hub carrier to the states and waiting a few weeks to get them back.
Luckily, there is a fantastic machine shop close to me. I took them in last week and they turned the job around in a few days. They also sand blasted the parts, so they look brand new.

So. If anyone's wincing at the Honda price of £1900.00 + estimated £400.00 labour. I suggest you guys look at this option first.

The total cost was:

Ball joints = £250.00 approx.
Customs charge = £38.00
Press and fit = £74.00

Total = £362.00

NB: This doesn't include the labour involved in stripping the suspension down and reassembly. A rough estimate would be four hours all-in. At a good independent garage this would cost around £200.00+vat.
It is however a straight forward DIY job.

Cheers,

James.

Details below;

Steve Ghent - NSX4track@aol.com = for the ball joints.

http://www.hamlinsengineering.co.uk/ = The machine shop that removed the old joint and pressed in the new one.