PDA

View Full Version : Gone through a set of rear tyres in under 2000 miles

bazza
06-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi all,

I am admin over at lancer-evo.net. Had my 2004 NSX since November.
Over the moon with it apart from going through a set of rear tyres in under 2000 miles.

The outsides are fine. They have worn from the inside out.
I've rang the dealer and I think they may take responsibility for this if its an error by them [not setting the geometry correctly].

As I now have to have a new set of tyres I am thinking about Yokohama A048's. I don't drive the car in the wet etc and am planning on taking the car to the Nurburgring in July.

Any comments welcomed.

Cheers

simonprelude
07-03-2006, 11:37 AM
It depends how they have set it up, the inners of the tyres should wear quicker though, that is pretty good going getting through them that quickly :)

mcibuk
07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Just put 2 new Khumo ECSTA SPT tyres on the front (225x45 ZR16) - total cost £158 to replace the Yokahama AO 22's that have at least 6500 miles wear. Driving home in wet weather, around 10 miles all seems OK.
Rear Tyres are Khumo 255x40 ZR17 and after 5000 miles they still have good tread - guessing same again!

2000 miles must mean the geometry is wrong or set up for track use!
I had my car set up for better wear and th ehandling is fine for me- but then i'm not pushing the car to the limits on bends (i know my limits!)

ctrlaltdelboy
07-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I would certainly look to get the geometry checked first off, but also bear in mind that the correct settings are designed for a full contact patch only when being nicely thrashed round corners - driving miss daisy will always give excessive inside wear on a properly setup NSX.

it's kind of like an indicator as to whether you are worthy of owning an NSX - if the tyre wear is uneven and expensive - move on to a car you can handle ;)

(the above is humour BTW - please don't take it as an insult ;) )

bazza
07-03-2006, 06:33 PM
I would certainly look to get the geometry checked first off, but also bear in mind that the correct settings are designed for a full contact patch only when being nicely thrashed round corners - driving miss daisy will always give excessive inside wear on a properly setup NSX.

it's kind of like an indicator as to whether you are worthy of owning an NSX - if the tyre wear is uneven and expensive - move on to a car you can handle ;)

(the above is humour BTW - please don't take it as an insult ;) )

MMmmmm.. The car hasn't really been opened up since I had it as its been too wet [thats what the Evo is for :wink:]. If I had done 2000 track miles on a set of tyres I would be amazed!!

I had Kumho on the Evo when I bought it and they were crap. :?

Lankstarr
07-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I think that your wife has been taking it out when you're not looking and doing donuts and burnouts!!

sportyking
07-03-2006, 09:44 PM
If you use the car at all bear in mind there will be nothing left of Yoko A048s by July. I'm sure those little puppies wear out standing still :lol:

I am not usually shocked by tyre wear but the NSX is a new ball game, mine had virtually new rear tyres when I got it less than 2000 miles ago and I am already considering skipping the odd weekend blast to ensure I have enough tread left to ensure they last for my Easter Ring visit (Dunlop 8080s) The wear is nice and even across the tyre Darren :wink:

Best bet is to try it on with the dealer. The Honda dealer I bought mine from were confused by the inside front tyre wear, so they sent it off for a full alignment and replaced the fronts before I collected it. Mind you, they were not an NSX servicing approved dealer.

bazza
07-03-2006, 11:10 PM
I think that your wife has been taking it out when you're not looking and doing donuts and burnouts!!

Wife!!! :shock: Just girlfriend.. If I had a wife I couldn't afford the NSX :lol:

AO48s are an awesome tyre but yes, they do wear out quickly. The NSX only covers 5000 miles a year and 1000 of that will be track/The Ring.

Cheers for all the replies anyhow. A nice friendly forum you have here :D

bazza
08-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Bummer.. Can't get the A048 in the right sizes for the fronts.. And the rears are silly prices..

Ive gone for a set of Toyo T1-R's.. Running them on my Evo for road use and they are awesome..

Avondale Honda have been spot on with their service. Good chance I may get something towards the rear tyres.. :wink: