PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about the Type-R bonnet scoop/vent

06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Last summer it was quite hot inside the cabin without the air conditioning on. My air conditioning works but I don’t use it often because of the petrol consumption (maybe a wrong assumption on my part, maybe the consumption isn’t bad with the A/C on. Anybody?)

Anyway, part/most of the problem, I believe, is the heat from the radiator gets stuffed up inside the front and forces hot air in through the joins of the heater fan. I clamped off the hot water to the heater, it did nothing.

I have thought about putting the Type-R bonnet, the fibre glass version from SOS I think (quite reasonably priced, $700 I think).
I would blank off part of the radiator to make sure ALL of the air went out the top. Then, hopefully, cool outside air would be sucked into the heater and I’d get cool air inside the car.

This hot air thing bothered me all last summer.

What do you think?
There’s the functionality question (will my idea work?) and then there is the styling question.
Does it look nice?

On the other hand, $700 plus painting is quite a lot of petrol so why don’t I just run with the A/C on?

I don’t know. Something tells me a car like the NSX should have a bonnet vent.

And the spare wheel won’t fit when I put my big brakes and wheels on anyway…

06-03-2006, 08:09 PM
And, as some of you know, my car is stock. I don’t want racer bling with big wings and scoops (yet…) :)
But I think the Type-R bonnet vent looks kind of stock, don’t you?

modarr
06-03-2006, 09:21 PM
one word of caution. I had a car with a vented bonnet, I thought to construct ducting to channel hot air from the rad away from the (front) engine and out of the vents. I also added cold air induction and had a flat floor set up. It ran wonderfully on track, temps were good. However I left it to idle on a hot day, and pop went the head gasket and out came thousands of pounds from my pocket. :shock:
The ducting may restrict cooling when you are not on the move and not forcing air through the rad. the fan will not blow air out of the duct, so under bonnet temps will be an issue.

Mo

98NSX-T
07-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Interesting post Mo. I have not heard that the Type R roofs (OEM or otherwise) may cause overheating by just idling. If the ducting is done right, wouldn't the fans blow the air out of the duct as there would be no other channel for the air to go through?

You may post this on NSXPrime and ask all those in Arizona and South Florida if they are having or had such problems.

07-03-2006, 05:57 PM
I like the look of the alu radiator when looking down into the duct. So I would have to put the fan on the front of the radiator (or a replacement). It’s on the back at the moment so it would look ugly.

I would think the air would be pushed through the radiator and up the duct.

On one hand, my (and others, I hear) NSX never even creeps up in temperature even in sweltering heat with the A/C on full.

On the other hand, I have heard cooling in a mid engine is tricky so your comment, Mo, is noted.

And then the main question, whether this will help keep the hot air away from the heater, is still on. I thought of asking this on prime, but they all just use their A/C all the time.

07-03-2006, 08:25 PM
whoa, talk about coincidence...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65882

modarr
07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
A vent alone is proved fine on the 'R'
However if a duct is constructed from the rad to the vent (ie stopping hot air leaking out under bonnet and into the cabin) then it may well overheat.

A fan infront of the rad blowing air through would certainly help.

08-03-2006, 05:40 PM
...However if a duct is constructed from the rad to the vent (ie stopping hot air leaking out under bonnet and into the cabin) then it may well overheat...
aaah. That's what I was going to do. To channel all of the air though the vent. Blocking off the sides of the radiator.

Maybe I should also consider ordering a new radiator that is thicker, and narrower. Thicker to compensate for the narrower size. Narrower so cool fresh air can go past the radiator, cooling the heater.
These radiators can be made by Forge for example, should be around £300.

There is more to this bonnet thing than just looks…

There is a very long thread on Wolfgang’s (NSX-racer) overheating problem on Prime. And did you notice the NSX-R overheated on the video:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65785

forumadmin
08-03-2006, 09:45 PM
If you're getting a new rad made, I'd go here

http://titan-lite.com/xdefault.asp

I saw their rads at the Motorsport show, and they do an indestructable core. The fins cover the pipework and protect the pipes from damage by stones.

I'm going to need a new rad soon, and I guess most cars that are 14 years old are going to soon as well, as they are corroding.

21-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Well, look at this!
He has a piece of aluminium covering his heater!

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.6park.com%2Fenter7%2Fmessages %2Fgvk21098.html

Picture 8,9 and 10
Found this on Prime.

Could he be trying to stop the heat from the radiator sinking into the heater?
I’m going to try that before getting into a new hood and radiator.
Who knows.