PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Replacement

mcibuk
06-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

Need your help again!
My car (1995 & 25,000 miles) is due for a 60k service soon and my dealer has suggested replacing spark plugs but not the cam belt. The cam belt was replaced 4 years ago (at 18,500 miles) therefore i plan to do this March 2007. However, spark plugs i have heard are expensive and i'm just wondering if they really need doing as the mileage is so low - i seem to recall a post a couple of years ago suggesting it wasn't essential until mileage had reached 50,000 - Is this still the case or does age have a bearing?

jaytip
06-03-2006, 05:53 PM
I could be wrong,but unlike the oil,oil filter and air filter which should be changed regularly,i don't think the spark plugs are as important(unless the car is missing or running like a dog)so i would say don't worry about it.

Papalazarou
06-03-2006, 06:47 PM
I thought it was every 60K. Could be wrong though.

James.

DTA-Motorsport
08-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi there,

In theory, spark plugs should last a lot longer than 25k miles. However, the only way to gauge the condition of the current spark plugs is to remove them and taking a look at the tips. Despite the fact that the plugs are probably of the "high performance" platinum tipped variety they are in a high reving, high heat environment, in a high performance engine which means they are under considerably more stress than say if they were in a Ford Fiesta engine.

My suggestion would be to have a look at their condition and replace the full set. I have to shell out approx. £15/plug for my 300ZX and I replace all 6 of them every 10k miles. To others this may be overkill but to me it's peace of mind knowing the plugs are in good condition. It's a bit like doing a regular (ie every 3-5k miles) oil change. If you keep up this regiment then you're treating your engine well and that will mean it'll treat you well in return.

As for the cambelt, yes - it's a 60k service item. However, if you drive your car regularly (and with considerable gusto) then it may be worth having a look at the belt and seeing if any crack are forming (or teeth missing). I had my 300's cambelt changed when I bought it at 39k miles (simply because I couldn't tell from the Japanese service history whether it was done or not) and again at 70k miles as there were several cracks showing.

I know this response is probably not what you're looking for but hopefully it'll give you some food for thought.

All the best,

Dan

mcibuk
14-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for all your comments.
My Honda dealer confimed sparkplugs should be done at 60K/5yr intervals and after taking comments into account i decided to do just to be correct for service record. For info th eplugs were £21.15 each incl VAT. The used plugs looked worn but i've kept hold of them anyway as I'm going to try and extract the platinum for resale :lol:

NSXGB
14-03-2006, 08:25 PM
For info th eplugs were £21.15 each incl VAT.

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=805

$77 for a set of 6 x NGK's.

mcibuk
15-03-2006, 08:00 AM
For some reason i imagined the plugs would be a difficult job so i coughed up - still haven't looked to see if they are easily accessible but next time round i will at $77 :)

simonprelude
15-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Whether accesible or not get you could still get Honda to change them to ones you supply.

Still thinking about approaching NGK UK to try and get a discount, drive past them every day :)

Kevin
15-03-2006, 04:29 PM
I paid £12 each for the plugs, when I got them from an everyday parts supplier.

lotusolly
15-03-2006, 06:24 PM
If you search for NSX spark plugs on Ebay there is only one list that comes up with a permanent listing. He lists the plugs as being iridium but they are NGK platinum plugs when they arrive. My set have part no. PFR6G-11 5555 if any one wants to cross check.
Cost £42.45 for 6 delivered
I was quoted £128 by a Honda dealer

Olly