PDA

View Full Version : Bose sub-woofer amplifier

bernev
25-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi everybody,

I gave my perpetually hibernating NSX its engine start up yesterday and put the audio and air con as normal. The engine could do with some new fuel (!) but it ran well. But the rear tweeter and the sub-woofer weren't working. looking at Kaz's and other blogs on here I see that they are linked, so I'm assuming the amplifier capacitors are shot. Why do they leak anyway? My home hifi is equally old and is still going strong! The question is chaps - do I ask Kaz to mend it when it goes in for its block buster engine refresh (despite having only done 10000 miles) or do I have to buy a new amp? the door amps are fine although I'm sure somebody will soon tell me that they too will soon fail (as will the a/c, the abs, the crank pulley; the ECU, etc.....) Cheers

Clive

NSXGB
25-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Give them all to Kaz. I'd say to get the set done as they are all the same age and you know what will happen if you don't....

Hi everybody,

I gave my perpetually hibernating NSX its engine start up yesterday and put the audio and air con as normal. The engine could do with some new fuel (!) but it ran well. But the rear tweeter and the sub-woofer weren't working. looking at Kaz's and other blogs on here I see that they are linked, so I'm assuming the amplifier capacitors are shot. Why do they leak anyway? My home hifi is equally old and is still going strong! The question is chaps - do I ask Kaz to mend it when it goes in for its block buster engine refresh (despite having only done 10000 miles) or do I have to buy a new amp? the door amps are fine although I'm sure somebody will soon tell me that they too will soon fail (as will the a/c, the abs, the crank pulley; the ECU, etc.....) Cheers

Clive

Senninha
25-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I think you need to drive it more ... As for the amp question, if its some soldering tlc then you've answered your own question ... Leave it to Kaz

bernev
25-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks. On the driving bit, yes I agree with you but I just don't get the opportunity to (11 bikes and 3 cars and the Rocket always makes more sense for a Sunday blast than the NSX). But the NSX is such a work of art it will follow me to my grave and i feel so fortunate in owning it. So, yes I agree and I will try harder. in the meantime, it has to go to Kaz to make sure it's still okay and I'll add audio to the list of things to do (TB/WP/Crank pulley, etc).....

nigel
26-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Since the amps have gone off, the ECU, (temp controller) isn't far behind. Pull that as well and have the Kaz do them all at once and never again willl they be a bother. It's the same problem in both systems, capacitor gone bad.

Cheers
nigel