PDA

View Full Version : New Cayman

NoelWatson
24-02-2013, 08:00 PM
New Cayman seems to be getting decent reviews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wk28sxMcyc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT2wkhg6LTQ

Base 2.7 looks good value - over 100bhp litre, revs to almost 8000rpm and under 40k

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/cayman/first-drives/porsche-cayman-27-first-drive-review

Come on Honda - give us the new S2000....

AR
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
It actually looks better than the 991 in the sense that it actually flows.

No doubt it will be the same as the last neutered from birth so as not to compete with the 991 IMHO.

nobby
01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
im no fan of porkers but credit where its due, that looks nice ... and quality appears high

TheSebringOne
01-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Good write up in Evo, its as good as a 991 & its shape look good too.

soddy
02-03-2013, 02:58 PM
always liked the 911, the early models really. : )

Nick Graves
02-03-2013, 03:47 PM
New Cayman seems to be getting decent reviews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wk28sxMcyc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT2wkhg6LTQ

Base 2.7 looks good value - over 100bhp litre, revs to almost 8000rpm and under 40k

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/cayman/first-drives/porsche-cayman-27-first-drive-review

Come on Honda - give us the new S2000....

If the hacks DIDN'T give the Gayman sycophantic reviews, there would be a meteor shower, the ultimate pope, economic collapse and the Horsemeat of the Apocalypse. Oh, hang on...

New S2000 is supposedly a ME turbo 2.0 four from the Civic Type-R. Possibly with eSHAWD.

Just be careful for what you wish, that's all!

NoelWatson
02-03-2013, 07:50 PM
always liked the 911, the early models really. : )

This week's Autocar has a big section on 50 years of 911 - decent read

Problem Child
03-03-2013, 09:14 AM
If the hacks DIDN'T give the Gayman sycophantic reviews, there would be a meteor shower, the ultimate pope, economic collapse and the Horsemeat of the Apocalypse. Oh, hang on...

New S2000 is supposedly a ME turbo 2.0 four from the Civic Type-R. Possibly with eSHAWD.

Just be careful for what you wish, that's all!

S2000 sounds nice! WIsh Honda would do either a new Honda Civic Type R or a CRZ Type R....Rumours of both but neither have been confirmed yet

gumball
03-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Don't really see why they put assisted steering on all cars now, especially on a light sports car.

NoelWatson
03-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Don't really see why they put assisted steering on all cars now, especially on a light sports car.

Fatter/grippier tyres must be a factor.

Nick Graves
03-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Latest woid is the CTR not out until 2015 (& then the probably in the Bagpuss Civic since the one after mightn't be ready!) and the CR-Z pretty much sine die although the CRzzzzzzz's expected to struggle on for another decade...

The management in their ivory tower hates such cars...

gumball
04-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Fatter/grippier tyres must be a factor.

Only about 235 on the Cayman fronts, the smart roadster I had had 205 but still had assisted steering on 800kg car!
There are quite a few slight little ladies driving old Lamborghinis, so come on manufacturers we can handle it.

markc
04-03-2013, 10:00 PM

'cos for parking no assistance is a right pain!

Had to manoeuver my Dad's old Alfa Guilia Spider (850kg, 155x15 tyres) into his garage the other day, I was knackered after that :)

The previous Cayman was a fantastic drive but most people with that sort of money to spend on Porsche would rather have a nearly new Carrera. The vast majority of these sheep wouldn't know or care which was the better to drive :(

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
04-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Mark, you must be like Popeye after the spinach!

Gumball, I think the Fezza 360 had 215 fronts too like NA2 pop ups?

Going back to the Smart, what ever width the fronts are, I'm not sure
it would stop it from its understeer tedency? I don't mean to offend, but
I remember something on a TG test?

gumball
05-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Mark, you must be like Popeye after the spinach!

Gumball, I think the Fezza 360 had 215 fronts too like NA2 pop ups?

Going back to the Smart, what ever width the fronts are, I'm not sure
it would stop it from its understeer tedency? I don't mean to offend, but
I remember something on a TG test?

Popeye? More like Olive Oyle! Lol

The Roadster not the city car, great little handler, flat out everywhere.

NoelWatson
07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Friend had a spare ticket for the Cayman launch party at Guildford OPC last night. Was a very enjoyable evening. Sat in 3 new Caymans from a low spec 2.7 @£46k up to a £72k 3.4. Was impressed by even the basic seats in the base version. Gearbox not as tight as NSX, but seating position broadly similar.

Not sure that I but into all the Porsche marketing, but they are very generous with their hospitality - I hope the new NSX launch is just as impressive.

TheSebringOne
07-03-2013, 10:14 PM
3.4 at £72K! I assume this is with top spec & most of the options? Interesting pricing with Porsche
these days. The NA2 pop ups coupe were about £70-71K when new. Having said that the base 991
is now nearly £80K & with some options about £90K? Would be interesting what the pricing structure
will be for the new NSX.

NoelWatson
08-03-2013, 07:50 AM
3.4 at £72K! I assume this is with top spec & most of the options? Interesting pricing with Porsche
these days. The NA2 pop ups coupe were about £70-71K when new. Having said that the base 991
is now nearly £80K & with some options about £90K? Would be interesting what the pricing structure
will be for the new NSX.

It was pretty specced up - base is ~£48k IIRC. I would love to know how badly a base spec car with no options whatsoever would fare in the second hand market.

I would pitch the new NSX at £90k tops- Honda have no brand image whatsoever in that sector at the moment. I was sent a flyer for a Chiswick Honda open day - featuring (IIRC) the Jazz, Civic and CR-V - even the Koreans have a more exciting range than that!

gumball
08-03-2013, 09:37 AM
If I could afford a new Cayman, I'd get this car,
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/image-18_zpse8ca2543.jpg
:)

Papalazarou
08-03-2013, 10:43 AM
That's a pretty looking car. My only reservation would be; it's Italian and its got what on paper, looks like an uninspiring power plant.

Cheers.

gumball
08-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Alfa have a rich history of magnificent four pots such as the GTAs and TZs.
I'd even like a twin-air one. Maybe in the future Fiat will make an X1/9 on the same base.

Papalazarou
08-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Alfa have a rich history of magnificent four pots such as the GTAs and TZs.
I'd even like a twin-air one. Maybe in the future Fiat will make an X1/9 on the same base.

I'm not knocking Alfas rich history. Only that historically, and I mean then and now. The build quality has never been fantastic. My comment about the engine refers to what is a great functioning unit, but a dull one in such a great looking car. For the application I imagine it's great. and, I'm sure there are very strong reasons to use it over more interesting power-plants. Emissions/power etc.
In many ways it looks like an Elise. Great chassis, dynamics etc. logical engine for the application. But there is an aftermarket preference for the Honda unit, because the OE engines are either a little underpowered or fragile.
Feel free to shoot me down. I may not have thought this one through:-)

Cheers,

James.

Nick Graves
08-03-2013, 02:20 PM
We shall have to wait & see which of the new-gen hypercharged engines are reliable and which are bags of shi te. So far, most are the latter.

Sort of like only Daf, Scania & Volvo properly-engineered their engines for turbochargers (wider bearings, oil-cooled pistons & larger water jackets) whilst the MAN & M-B units tended to blow up.

I hope the 4C finally lives up to the image of Alfa Romeo. The reality hasn't for about 40 years.

And we desperately need choice - aside from the boring, default option.

The new Gaybar looks far better, now they have stopped cra pping it down in order to elevate the 911 to mythical status (like Alfa).

goldtop
08-03-2013, 02:24 PM
blah blah ... Gayman ... blah blah

blah blah ... Gaybar ... blah blah

Protesting just a bit too much? :D

NSX 2000
08-03-2013, 02:54 PM
I was sent a flyer for a Chiswick Honda open day - featuring (IIRC) the Jazz, Civic and CR-V - even the Koreans have a more exciting range than that!

That's a bit harsh, last year I sold an 18 month old Kia Cee'd (the star in a reasonably priced car one) and a 4 year old Civic, the Civic was the much better car. Plus the last company car we bought is the current Civic which the driver thinks is so much better than the Ford Focus it replaced.

AR
08-03-2013, 02:56 PM
With any car does it make sense that the company will come out with the best balls to the wall car they can straight away?

No doubt this Alfa and the Cayman will be followed by special editions that will give customers a reason to change the car!

britlude
08-03-2013, 03:52 PM
a small point, but why is this in 'general NSX discussion' and not in off topic?

i really couldn't give a monkeys nuts about the offerings of porsche!

AR
08-03-2013, 04:12 PM
a small point, but why is this in 'general NSX discussion' and not in off topic?

i really couldn't give a monkeys nuts about the offerings of porsche!

I think it is in comparison to the next NSX.

Nick Graves
08-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Protesting just a bit too much? :D

Put it this way; The Honda Electric Six has an appeal the Gaybar doesn't, somehow.

;)

TheSebringOne
08-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Would be interesting to see how the new Alfa goes? Less than 1000kg, may be 950kg?
250 bhp 2 litre & CF chassis too.

I have a soft spot for Alfas too!

Nick Graves
09-03-2013, 04:36 PM
1750, please! :D

I really hope it's a really great car: last Alfa I tried to drive was a Brera & I felt like crying.

Ewan
10-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Would be interesting to see how the new Alfa goes? Less than 1000kg, may be 950kg?
250 bhp 2 litre & CF chassis too.

I have a soft spot for Alfas too!

I think the Alfa looks great, though a part of me does want to shout "Look! The Italians have built an Elise, and it's only 50 grand!!"

Here's a 4-pot turbo (with a relatively uninspiring engine) that manages ~230bhp with 950kg and it goes like stink once the turbo is whistling - if the Alfa feels as spritely, it will be well worth a look...

http://sdrv.ms/YO394I

(tried to upload a pic but everything - uploading from file, from URL, resizing to make it tiny... failed with an error at the server).

gumball
10-03-2013, 04:26 PM
I think the Alfa looks great, though a part of me does want to shout "Look! The Italians have built an Elise, and it's only 50 grand!!"

Here's a 4-pot turbo (with a relatively uninspiring engine) that manages ~230bhp with 950kg and it goes like stink once the turbo is whistling - if the Alfa feels as spritely, it will be well worth a look...

http://sdrv.ms/YO394I

(tried to upload a pic but everything - uploading from file, from URL, resizing to make it tiny... failed with an error at the server).

The Alfa is a looker though while the Lotus is.. Well, not.

The brochure says the 4c takes 4.5 seconds to get 100kph, enough for fun.

markc
10-03-2013, 05:10 PM

Exactly my thoughts. In fact they've nicked the whole front end :)

The brochure says the 4c takes 4.5 seconds to get 100kph, enough for fun.

The Alfa styling is too fussy from the doors back for my liking. Forget the Elise though, the Exige S looks spectacular value against the 4C!

Usually for this type of car at this price point you'd need a multi cylinder (petrol powered) engine like the Caymen and Exige. Just a few years ago you'd have said the same thing about hot hatches and uber-saloons BUT most people are perfectly happy to buy them powered by 4 pot turbo diesels now. Maybe the market is ready for the small sports coupe to go the same way? People buy Audi TT TFSI and TDI's at £30K, next stop £50K? I wouldn't but then I'm officially a dinosaur :)

Cheers

Mark

gumball
10-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I watched the Alfa Romeo Victory by design DVD the other day, they had a four pot TZ1 on there that back in the day went for more money than the larger engined Ferrari GTO.

Owning an NSX should make folks aware that how many pistons you have going up and down makes little difference in the quality of the car.

Nick Graves
10-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Exactly my thoughts. In fact they've nicked the whole front end :)

The Alfa styling is too fussy from the doors back for my liking. Forget the Elise though, the Exige S looks spectacular value against the 4C!

Usually for this type of car at this price point you'd need a multi cylinder (petrol powered) engine like the Caymen and Exige. Just a few years ago you'd have said the same thing about hot hatches and uber-saloons BUT most people are perfectly happy to buy them powered by 4 pot turbo diesels now. Maybe the market is ready for the small sports coupe to go the same way? People buy Audi TT TFSI and TDI's at £30K, next stop £50K? I wouldn't but then I'm officially a dinosaur :)

Cheers

Mark

The next-gen Bogstar is due to get a turbo four-banger, too. Blame the Chicken Littles.

At least a boxer four is equivalent to a V6, whereas an inline four is inferior and an inline triple is just perverted.

So the Porsche will still have some engineering class.

Ewan
10-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Pah - beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-)

Anyway, the Lotus has a great big NACA duct on the roof. And you can't fail to love a car with NACA ducts.

gumball
10-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Pah - beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-)

Anyway, the Lotus has a great big NACA duct on the roof. And you can't fail to love a car with NACA ducts.

NACA duct huh? How quaint. :D
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z148/gumball3ooo/image-18_zps65bd7e4d.jpg

markc
10-03-2013, 07:39 PM
At least a boxer four is equivalent to a V6, whereas an inline four is inferior and an inline triple is just perverted.

Hmmm, I'll grant you that the boxer 4 is interesting but I wouldn't say it's equivalent to a V6.

In line triples can be fantastic! The old Diahatsu Charades sounded brilliant and Triumph Daytona/Speed Triple/675 etc are among the best sounding bikes out there. Yes triples are inherently lumpy but like boxer 4's they're properly characterful.

It won't be too long before all these downsized turbo'd solutions will have hybrid assist as well so they won't be lacking in grunt, they just won't sound great.

Nick Graves
10-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Nah, threes & fives need FI to fix the mis-timed breathing & sound plain wrong to me. Bikes yes agreed, jingle, jingle, jingle cars, no thanks. Think I'd rather have a super twin banging away there. Some would argue that for bikes as well...

Likewise a boxer four sounds better/smoother at idle than a mis-timed 90 degree V6. That wins once the revs rise, but one has straight or boxer sixes for smoothness everywhere, if it'll fit.

Eights for grunt, tens for trucks and the rest for overkill - sublime overkill in the case of Jaguar's ancient V12...

markc
11-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Eights for grunt, tens for trucks and the rest for overkill - sublime overkill in the case of Jaguar's ancient V12...

...and diesel for channel ferries :)

It's odd how some engine configurations work in bikes but not cars. V-Twins work in well in bikes, and not just because they fit so neatly but car nooooo. Triples beat Twins for me every time but massively so in a car application.

Cheers

Mark