PDA

View Full Version : Woolly steering caused by new tyres?

frostos
03-03-2006, 07:27 PM
I have recently noticed that on occaision my steering feels quite vague at higher speeds. This comes and goes to such an extent that I sometimes think it is me and not the car (ie how much guiness did I have last night?)

I noticed this first and most extremely shortly after getting new rear tyres fitted. My question is sparked by a previous technical thread on tyre choice that suggested the potential for significant performance impact. It makes me think I might improve things by 1) getting the new tyres checked or 2) getting matching new rubber on the front.

I had Dunlop 9000s put on the back and not the "Honda specified" 8000s (as they are supposed to shift water better).

It especially worried me as I had an exact same feeling in an S2000 just before the rear nearside inner tyre-wall let go and shredded the tyre.

Has anyone else had such problems, is this problem feasible or just my imagination?

Chris.

TheQuietOne
04-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi Chris,

Look at this thread, it turns into a critique on how tyres affect the NSX as myself and Flinty in particular had very worrying experiences with mixed tyres on the car, and the difference the stiffness of the wall makes would appear to be astronomic!

http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=621&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tyre&start=45

Although it sounds as though you have the same brand but different specs this could still be the case. From my understanding the wrong tyre combination on these cars can make them feel a totally (much less stable) different car, and not nice at all.

If you have any more question I'm sure others on here with much more experience will help out too!

Cheers,

Matt.

Papalazarou
04-03-2006, 11:11 AM
When I bought mine I had Yoko's on the back and Bridgestones on the front.
As soon as I changed to the Bridgestones allround the car felt so much better; more stable, better turn-in, and generally more predicatable. Interestingly, although I scrubbed the tyres in, I had none of the new tyre "pitch into corners" that you normally get when you change the rears.

James.

Flinty
05-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Following on from the previous thread mentioned by Matt, I've decided I made a £500 mistake.

I changed from standard fit, but lightly worn Dunlop 8050's to Toyo Proxes T1Rs. A good quality tyre with modern technology, but oh boy what a mistake and waste of money.

Changed the rears first and it was awful - exactly the woolly feeling you've experienced at higher speed Chris - anything above about 60mph in a straight line. So... I changed the fronts to make sure they were matched.

Little bit better, but i've lived with them for 1,500 miles - and NO MORE. It's just a horrible feeling :(

I am now shopping about for standard spec Bridgestone RE010's or Yoko A022's (tips on suppliers greatly appreciated guys).

I spose should have known to trust Honda engineering. It's just that other high performance cars i've owned run pretty well any decent rubber.

PS. no disrespect to Toyo - great grip, but they just dont suit the NSX imo.

Flinty

NSXGB
06-03-2006, 08:10 PM
With regard to suppliers of tyres, there is a chap on this site called 'tyreman' who was offered tyres to us lot at good prices and I think he was from Essex too.

06-03-2006, 08:43 PM
I notice on my ugly Transit van when I get new tyres it floats around unbelievably for about a 1000kms.
I mean it’s really weird, but it’s the tyres.

I mention this because it is so weird it deserves mention. (That’s why I mentioned that I mentioned this).
I also think my Transit van is faster on the twisty bits than your NSX, that’s why I can write this (and mention this too) on this forum. :P

I use S03s on mine (NSX, not the van, the van is fast enough without good tyres) and I love them, I would sleep with them if I could.
Of course I haven’t tried anything else so you can slap me next time we meet at the Ring. :P
Peter

frostos
06-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the guidance. Flinty - it sounds like you have had an even worse experience with mixed tyres :(

I checked and adjusted the pressures to make sure this was not an issue - it feels a little better but that may be all in the mind. I think the lesson is not to mix make and spec if you can help it.

My plan is to go get some Dunlop 9000s put on the front to see if this gets me back to before. Will let you know if it works. I read the other thread and I can see how having this problem for 6 months would drive you round the bend (or not ) :oops:

Peter - Alternatively I may just keep the wheels and upgrade the vehicle to a Transit and see if that helps. The 2.5 turbo diesel looks good. And much more storage space than the NSX I hear :P

As for tyre providers. I looked at ordering them online (go to www.mytyres.co.uk to get an idea of what look like close-to-wholesale prices) but my local backstreet tyre outfit quote was no more than on t'internet. Even for central/west London :!: That said, he did first asked me whether the tyres were for a porskhe :lol:

Chris.

06-03-2006, 09:20 PM
...Peter - Alternatively I may just keep the wheels and upgrade the vehicle to a Transit and see if that helps. The 2.5 turbo diesel looks good. And much more storage space than the NSX I hear :P

LOL!

mutley
07-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Hi Guys, a very interesting thread this one, all my tyres need replacing and I was about to go down the Toyo t1-r route, as they seem to be a good bit of rubber, but sounds like they are not great on the NSX!.

I have goodyear F1 all round on my BM, and I think they are fantastic for grip and handling, BUT they are not made in 15 inch so anyone any ideas on what tyres bring out the best in the NSX?