PDA

View Full Version : Progress so far

scottg
15-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Having owned my 1991 Auto since last August I have gradually been fixing some of the issues with the car and updating it's looks a little.
1. The warning light issue the car has had from the day I bought the car and the previous owner had has been fixed so no more brake/TCS and ALB lights thank god.
2. The bodged audio unit has been upgraded to an Alpine double din unit as the consol had been badly cut up so no chance of going back to original withoiut a new consol.
3. I found a set of 7 spokes from a 1997 car on Prime and have had these refurbished and fitted with new tyres as I really think the old 15 and 16 inch wheels dated the car.
4. Just completing the interior colour stitching and replacing the steering wheel with a Momo Tuner and Momo hub (purchased from the US as Momo no longer make them)
5. Changed the standard auto gear knob for an item found on Ebay.com, I will post pcs once I hae fnished the interior but it feels far better and looks less 90's.
6. Just purchased an orbital polisher so once it warms up a bit in the garage I intend to start paint correcting each panel to remove the light swirls in the paint.
7. Replaced cracked rear light cluster and centre piece with good second hand ones

I also have an aggravating humming noise to locate and plan to have a timimg belt service, crank pulley etc done for piece of mind.
I do need the piece of trim that fits under the steering column as mine has cracked and I have fixed it with fibre glass but its not brilliant and the stone guard for the of side front if anyone happens to have them surplus?

Senninha
15-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi Scott,

Its satisfying to knock these little jobs off the list ... I'm sure many of us have them and over time we get them addressed.

The later wheels do so much to update the NSX yet retain the classic lines of the car.

Any details on the Alpine upgrade \ install please?

regards, Paul

NSXGB
15-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Humming noise from the interior? Possibly the aspirator fan in the centre console?

Stone guard? Do you mean wheel arch liner? If so, drmikey has some, listed on eBay.

What was the fix for the warning lights in the end, I missed that?

scottg
15-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Hi Scott,

Its satisfying to knock these little jobs off the list ... I'm sure many of us have them and over time we get them addressed.

The later wheels do so much to update the NSX yet retain the classic lines of the car.

Any details on the Alpine upgrade \ install please?

regards, Paul

Hi Paul,
I used a company locally called audio in motion. The Alpine unit is a double din with Bluetooth for phone and iPod and acd but not touch screen. I will take some pics and post them.

scottg
15-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Humming noise from the interior? Possibly the aspirator fan in the centre console?

Stone guard? Do you mean wheel arch liner? If so, drmikey has some, listed on eBay.

What was the fix for the warning lights in the end, I missed that?
The humming noise is from the engine bay, could be the alternator bearing. It is not there at start up but once warm after a few mins you can hear it at tick over up to about 1800 rpm.
The warning lights was a wiring fault with the rear loom in the boot causing the brake light circuit to illuminate the dash lights that in turn trigger the tcs and alb to shut down.

it is a wheel arch liner so ill check out eBay thanks

Senninha
15-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Mmmm, looking forward to the 'full' interior updates ;o) ... 11.30 on Christmas Eve, tutt, tutt ... lol

scottg
16-01-2013, 06:10 PM

Installed the Momo Tuner steering wheel and NSXR hub today and so whilst still to complete the colour stitching to the door panels and give the interior a good clean the interior is coming along nicely. I am really pleased with the difference in feel from the steering it feels allot lighter.

Mmmm, looking forward to the 'full' interior updates ;o) ... 11.30 on Christmas Eve, tutt, tutt ... lol

Silver Surfer
16-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Need bigger pics Scott....they look like Avatars! ;)

SS

Rdevelopments
17-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Having owned my 1991 Auto since last August I have gradually been fixing some of the issues with the car and updating it's looks a little.
1. The warning light issue the car has had from the day I bought the car and the previous owner had has been fixed so no more brake/TCS and ALB lights thank god.
2. The bodged audio unit has been upgraded to an Alpine double din unit as the consol had been badly cut up so no chance of going back to original withoiut a new consol.
3. I found a set of 7 spokes from a 1997 car on Prime and have had these refurbished and fitted with new tyres as I really think the old 15 and 16 inch wheels dated the car.
4. Just completing the interior colour stitching and replacing the steering wheel with a Momo Tuner and Momo hub (purchased from the US as Momo no longer make them)
5. Changed the standard auto gear knob for an item found on Ebay.com, I will post pcs once I hae fnished the interior but it feels far better and looks less 90's.
6. Just purchased an orbital polisher so once it warms up a bit in the garage I intend to start paint correcting each panel to remove the light swirls in the paint.
7. Replaced cracked rear light cluster and centre piece with good second hand ones

I also have an aggravating humming noise to locate and plan to have a timimg belt service, crank pulley etc done for piece of mind.
I do need the piece of trim that fits under the steering column as mine has cracked and I have fixed it with fibre glass but its not brilliant and the stone guard for the of side front if anyone happens to have them surplus?

Can you get me a picture/link of the auto gear knob. Very curious to see it!

scottg
17-01-2013, 01:08 PM

Need bigger pics Scott....they look like Avatars! ;)

SS

Sorry I had problems resizing on my Mac at home so hopefully these work now.

The gearnob was a find on ebay.com and cost $1 plus postage as I was the only bidder. I need to adapt it a little as you cannot select first gear due to the color at the bottom touching the centre consol at that point but it feels allot better. I would like to change the chrome as its a bit to much bling for me but will wait until its a bit warmer in the garage.
The Alpine head unit was the best option for a brand name at my budget. I would have liked a Sat Nav but as I have one on my phone it was not justifiable and I quite like the look of this unit anyway.
The steering wheel has wiothout doubt made the greatest difference to the inetrior and worth every penny.
Just another 5 or 6 hours of colour stitching to do and I'm almost finished.

scottg
17-01-2013, 01:15 PM

This is the Gear Knob it was listed as a Pilot Motorsports Automatic Shift Knob and I think its normally about $27

nobby
17-01-2013, 01:35 PM
good man, keep at it!

re the steering wheel, it is a great job and totally changes the feel of driving the car when compared to the original wheel (yuck)

you need to get the official NSX-R horn button kit to finalise your steering wheel! : )

with regards to the stereo I think it looks very nice in the dash ... i just spent the extra to get a sat nav solution incorporated in mine at the time as i could not be bothered with phones or garmin type jobbies cluttering up the interior

i think your £1 improvement on the auto stick is GOOD business ... it is a bit blingy but am sure you can come up with something longer term.

the red stitching is a nice modification to make ... done it meself (along with some help from the wife) just keep at it ... its a bit of a long chore but nice when done

keep up the good work!

markc
17-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Installed the Momo Tuner steering wheel and NSXR hub today and so whilst still to complete the colour stitching to the door panels and give the interior a good clean the interior is coming along nicely. I am really pleased with the difference in feel from the steering it feels allot lighter.

I'd be interested to know how you do this colour stitching thing? Orange stitching on the dashboard and centre console to go with my orange seat centres sounds fun :)

When I went from the standard airbag wheel (363mm diamater) to the Momo Tuner (350mm) I noticed a definite firming up of the steering response, with the same wheels/tyres/pressures. The theory, less leverage due to the smaller diameter, says it should be heavier rather than lighter. I suspect the new wheels and different tyres/pressures have actually made the difference in feel.

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
17-01-2013, 02:09 PM
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/145770-DIY-Interior-Color-Stitching

I'd be interested to know how you do this colour stitching thing? Orange stitching on the dashboard and centre console to go with my orange seat centres sounds fun :)

When I went from the standard airbag wheel (363mm diamater) to the Momo Tuner (350mm) I noticed a definite firming up of the steering response, with the same wheels/tyres/pressures. The theory, less leverage due to the smaller diameter, says it should be heavier rather than lighter. I suspect the new wheels and different tyres/pressures have actually made the difference in feel.

Cheers

Mark

scottg
17-01-2013, 03:42 PM

Cheers

Mark

I would agree Mark bit my car feels lighter now despite the smaller diameter and I am comparing it with the feel when I had changed the wheels, maybe its just me as I swear the car is faster when it's clean as well.

As the previous reply shows there is a great thread on prime about colour stitching. It would look awesome in orange for your car in IOP and the great thing is if your tastes change you can just remove it.

scottg
18-01-2013, 02:11 PM
I received my DA polisher and Maguires speed glaze yesterday. Whilst it was bitter outside I had to brave the cold and spent 15 minutes in the garage just to try an area of the paintwork on the bonnet to see how well it worked in removing the swirl marks which are quite significant on my car. After just a few minutes the results are incredible and I look forward to the weather improving a little so I can spend the time required to do the job properly.
The polisher I ourchased is this one and it is excellent value for money with the polish and 4 microfibre cloths included.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/DAS6-500-watt-Dual-Action-Machine-Car-Wax-Polisher-Meguiars-Polish-Kit-/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/$(KGrHqYOKosE6e)f2NK-BOtVTPy(B!~~60_1.JPG

markc
18-01-2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/145770-DIY-Interior-Color-Stitching

Thank you sir, not seen that before. Doesn't look too difficult, just time consuming. Might have to give it a go when the Westfield is finished... almost there at last :)

I would agree Mark bit my car feels lighter now despite the smaller diameter and I am comparing it with the feel when I had changed the wheels, maybe its just me as I swear the car is faster when it's clean as well.

I made the change purely for aesthetic reasons but I remember it made more difference to the "feel", not necessarily weight, than I though it would. That was years ago now so I can't remember the specifics. I'm not sure of the maths but it's about 5% smaller so there should be about 5% less movement (at the rim) and therefore require 5% more heft??? Except of course that the EPS system might minimise the extra effort required and therefore the smaller movement makes it feel lighter?

Cheers

Mark

scottg
18-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Thank you sir, not seen that before. Doesn't look too difficult, just time consuming. Might have to give it a go when the Westfield is finished... almost there at last :)

I made the change purely for aesthetic reasons but I remember it made more difference to the "feel", not necessarily weight, than I though it would. That was years ago now so I can't remember the specifics. I'm not sure of the maths but it's about 5% smaller so there should be about 5% less movement (at the rim) and therefore require 5% more heft??? Except of course that the EPS system might minimise the extra effort required and therefore the smaller movement makes it feel lighter?

Cheers

Mark

Go for it Mark. the thread and needle cost all of about £15 and then it's just time.
It's a shame about the weather as I really want to get the car out and enjoy it this weekend, I am sure the steering would feel very light indeed today!!

Tokyo-Joe
19-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Your NSX is looking very nice indeed, good work!

scottg
19-01-2013, 05:40 PM
good man, keep at it!

re the steering wheel, it is a great job and totally changes the feel of driving the car when compared to the original wheel (yuck)

you need to get the official NSX-R horn button kit to finalise your steering wheel! : )

with regards to the stereo I think it looks very nice in the dash ... i just spent the extra to get a sat nav solution incorporated in mine at the time as i could not be bothered with phones or garmin type jobbies cluttering up the interior

i think your £1 improvement on the auto stick is GOOD business ... it is a bit blingy but am sure you can come up with something longer term.

the red stitching is a nice modification to make ... done it meself (along with some help from the wife) just keep at it ... its a bit of a long chore but nice when done

keep up the good work!

I would love the NSXR horn push kit, where can I get one and how much are they?

Sudesh
19-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Great transformation Scott, the wheels always make a huge visual improvement compared to the early type. Gear knob is interesting looking, first I've seen of that type on an Auto, seen some others before in Japan but nothing like this one.

Andrew just recently purchased the horn kit so he should have a recent price. From memory your looking at £160++

scottg
19-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Great transformation Scott, the wheels always make a huge visual improvement compared to the early type. Gear knob is interesting looking, first I've seen of that type on an Auto, seen some others before in Japan but nothing like this one.

Andrew just recently purchased the horn kit so he should have a recent price. From memory your looking at £160++

Thanks Sudesh, I am pleased with the updates so far. At £160 I think I'll live with the momo horn push for now and keep my eyes open.
when I bought the wheels from prime (your suggestion as I recall) they came with Acura centre caps so I got the wheel refurb people to fill and paint them and then bought Honda decals from eBay for £5. Not factory but they look good in my opinion.

Nick Graves
20-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Cheers

Mark

It was quicker & easier to achieve that interior look by buying a Toyota GT86.

scottg
21-01-2013, 02:12 PM
It was quicker & easier to achieve that interior look by buying a Toyota GT86.

True Nick but I bet it cost more than £12

scottg
28-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Much warmer this weekend in my garage so I took advantage of having Saturday off and went to work with the new DA polisher. Whilst I am still not happy with the roof and will spend more time on this another day the overall difference in the car is amazing. Once all the surface swirls are polished out of the paintwork it gives it real depth so happy

scottg
25-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Fitted the newly assigned plate to the car and I think it sets it off really well. I know we all know how old it is but to those that don't you would think its 22 years old would you?

WhyOne?
25-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Your car is looking really good Scott!

flyingsniffer
25-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Your car is looking really good Scott!

I echo that sentiment!

AR
25-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Great transformation, stereo looks nice and the steering wheel and shiftknob "lifted" the interior.

TheSebringOne
25-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Lovely car & nice plate!

Tokyo-Joe
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Looking good mate, you should update or disable the aerial :)

scottg
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Looking good mate, you should update or disable the aerial :)

Thanks Tokyo-Joe,
I am torn re the aerial as I like to listen to the football/F1 on Radio 5 Live if I am out on the weekend and I think the small Guppy ones don't get the reception required. Anyone tell me different?

Hagasan
01-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks Tokyo-Joe,
I am torn re the aerial as I like to listen to the football/F1 on Radio 5 Live if I am out on the weekend and I think the small Guppy ones don't get the reception required. Anyone tell me different?

I was in the same boat...Not ready to move on to DAB but also not happy with the old remote control car aerial. I first fitted one of the stubby's from Lowcustom.com but the reception was diabolical. The unit was amplified but it must be a very poor design....

In the end I thought, well the S2000 short aerial is OEM and thus the quality of reception must be satisfactory? I bought a used one on ebay. I removed the amplifier section from the actual mast (as it cannot be fitted as a whole unit), and extented with a piece of co-ax. Happy to report that AM reception is now perfect, well as crystal clear as AM will be. No engine pick-up interference, no crackle, no pops! FM is also fine. It's just a little bit of work but easy enough....

Gary

scottg
01-03-2013, 02:26 PM
I was in the same boat...Not ready to move on to DAB but also not happy with the old remote control car aerial. I first fitted one of the stubby's from Lowcustom.com but the reception was diabolical. The unit was amplified but it must be a very poor design....

In the end I thought, well the S2000 short aerial is OEM and thus the quality of reception must be satisfactory? I bought a used one on ebay. I removed the amplifier section from the actual mast (as it cannot be fitted as a whole unit), and extented with a piece of co-ax. Happy to report that AM reception is now perfect, well as crystal clear as AM will be. No engine pick-up interference, no crackle, no pops! FM is also fine. It's just a little bit of work but easy enough....

Gary

Thanks gary, sounds like a good end result, any pics?

b1gbrad
01-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Yes please! - I've just sourced an S2k antenna from a breakers and looking to do this upgrade too. Pictures would be great! :-)

I've found this - http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/morningz/243-s2000-oem-antenna-installation.html
But it's not specific for an NSX.

Hagasan
01-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Guys if you have a look at the following thread you'll find basically what I did. I earthed the screen of the coax to the car body as well...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/81099-Antenna-question

Yes please! - I've just sourced an S2k antenna from a breakers and looking to do this upgrade too. Pictures would be great! :-)

I've found this - http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/morningz/243-s2000-oem-antenna-installation.html
But it's not specific for an NSX.

Problem Child
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM

I have a beesting type aerial and miss my talksport so I am having the Kenwood DNX4210 DAB unit fitted tomorrow by Sound Evo in Watford . Will post some pictures and give a review of the signal

scottg
13-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Inspired by other owners at Japfest I spent some time yesterday cleaning my car and then removed the engine cover and detailing a little. A small weight saving and I like to view of the engine through the glass.

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-05-2013, 11:30 AM
If you are thinking of removing the engine cover for a long period, please consider some protection against the UV ray especially for the OEM header tank and the rubber tubes.
Type-R/NSX-R and Type-S even had rubber protection cover over the majority of electrical connectors inside the engine bay for this reason.

By the way, nice phone cover.....
Looks like you’ve been to one of the games......

Kaz

scottg
13-05-2013, 01:45 PM
If you are thinking of removing the engine cover for a long period, please consider some protection against the UV ray especially for the OEM header tank and the rubber tubes.
Type-R/NSX-R and Type-S even had rubber protection cover over the majority of electrical connectors inside the engine bay for this reason.

By the way, nice phone cover.....
Looks like you’ve been to one of the games......

Kaz

Very observant Kaz. I am afraid I only have the phone cover and no memories of being at the games in person but I thoroughly enjoyed the TV coverage and I thinkas a nation we did ourselves proud.

My car lives in the garage and is used at weekend only so I will keep an eye on the potential UV issue, its only 4 bolts to refit the cover if it starts to worry me.

Thanks also Kaz for pointing out how my car had sunk on one side on saturday, I may have just pulled out and damaged the front lip if you hadn't noticed.

mjames75
13-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Lovely Car Scott !

For the rubber and Engine bay parts etc, I recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant, Spray it on your Engine bay and pipes etc and wipe down, offers excellent UV protection. Ive got a 5 litre container so pm me and I'll send you some to sample :-)

regards,

Mike

scottg
13-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Lovely Car Scott !

For the rubber and Engine bay parts etc, I recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant, Spray it on your Engine bay and pipes etc and wipe down, offers excellent UV protection. Ive got a 5 litre container so pm me and I'll send you some to sample :-)

regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike I have pm'd you

Problem Child
13-05-2013, 06:31 PM

Gary Go DAB....its brilliant

rkanaga
15-05-2013, 11:48 AM

Fitted the newly assigned plate to the car and I think it sets it off really well. I know we all know how old it is but to those that don't you would think its 22 years old would you?

Hi Scott, looking good, and I just realised you've got the adjacent number plate to mine (NSX5!)

cheers

scottg
15-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi Scott, looking good, and I just realised you've got the adjacent number plate to mine (NSX5!)

cheers

That's cool, i wonder who has NSX 1?

Senninha
15-05-2013, 12:09 PM
That's cool, i wonder who has NSX 1?

it used to be on a members car many years ago .. IIRC that NSX succumbed to fire damage.

Scott, sorry to have missed you at the weekend, whenever I came looking you were elsewhere ... catch up sometime soon

regards, Paul

scottg
15-05-2013, 12:28 PM
it used to be on a members car many years ago .. IIRC that NSX succumbed to fire damage.

Scott, sorry to have missed you at the weekend, whenever I came looking you were elsewhere ... catch up sometime soon

regards, Paul

Hi Paul,

I never seem to get around to introducing myself to as many people as I would like at these things as I generally bring a friend more interested in the track action, next time hopefully

scottg
29-08-2013, 09:13 AM
So after just over a year of ownership I have all the teething problems sorted out and can finally enjoy my NSX as intended.
Over the past years the following has been tackled with the help of many forum members and skilled technicians
1. Diagnose and overcome the brake light warning issue triggering the TCS and ALB lights in the process
2. Replace the cracked and fogging up rear light cluster and central panel that had a strange looking melted part as if a soldering iron had been left on it
3. Upgraded to 7 spoke NSX alloys with new tyres all round.
4. Colour stitched the dash and door cards on red thread having seen it on Prime. Took over 20 hours in the garage over the coldest part of the year (at least thats my excuse)
5. Fit a double din head unit as the consul had been hacked at and an aftermarket single din unit badly fitted
6. NSX6 swapped onto the car, people now don't believe its 21 years old
7. Vtec Direct carried out a timing belt service, water pump, crankshaft pulley and new red valve covers.
8. Thanks to Kristen at ATR racing and Andy and Rob at VTec direct the Electric Power steering rack was replaced with a second hand one having identified a very nasty grinding noise in the old rack
9. Momo tuner steering wheel and Momo hub (sourced as new old stock from the States) fitted. Also replaced the auto know with an aftermarket one but think this is coming back off as a little to aftermarket looking. Oh and new mats with logos embroidered with NSX.
10. Replace the alternator that was making a humming noise from one of the bearings. I originally paid to have this rebuilt but £80 no better so bought a used one from ebay and thank god the noise was gone. The difference this made was incredible as previously at anything below 1500 revs the car had a terrible humming noise that sent a vibration through the car.
11. Fitted 25mm wheel spacers to the rears (still to do the fronts but not sure it needs it now the rears are on)

Next I want to remove and refinish the consul as it has a small crack where there is a weak area by the head unit so plan to use some form of compound to strengthen this if anyone has any suggestions?

Really didn't think there would be so much to sort when I bought it but I still get a thrill every time I drive it even though its an auto!! I have spent around 6K since purchase to get here but I still think with the values as they are its a hell of a lot better than leaving it in the bank and allot more fun along the way.

Senninha
29-08-2013, 09:27 AM
All we need now is a set of updated photos please ....

flyingsniffer
29-08-2013, 09:56 AM
So after just over a year of ownership I have all the teething problems sorted out and can finally enjoy my NSX as intended.
Over the past years the following has been tackled with the help of many forum members and skilled technicians
1. Diagnose and overcome the brake light warning issue triggering the TCS and ALB lights in the process
2. Replace the cracked and fogging up rear light cluster and central panel that had a strange looking melted part as if a soldering iron had been left on it
3. Upgraded to 7 spoke NSX alloys with new tyres all round.
4. Colour stitched the dash and door cards on red thread having seen it on Prime. Took over 20 hours in the garage over the coldest part of the year (at least thats my excuse)
5. Fit a double din head unit as the consul had been hacked at and an aftermarket single din unit badly fitted
6. NSX6 swapped onto the car, people now don't believe its 21 years old
7. Vtec Direct carried out a timing belt service, water pump, crankshaft pulley and new red valve covers.
8. Thanks to Kristen at ATR racing and Andy and Rob at VTec direct the Electric Power steering rack was replaced with a second hand one having identified a very nasty grinding noise in the old rack
9. Momo tuner steering wheel and Momo hub (sourced as new old stock from the States) fitted. Also replaced the auto know with an aftermarket one but think this is coming back off as a little to aftermarket looking. Oh and new mats with logos embroidered with NSX.
10. Replace the alternator that was making a humming noise from one of the bearings. I originally paid to have this rebuilt but £80 no better so bought a used one from ebay and thank god the noise was gone. The difference this made was incredible as previously at anything below 1500 revs the car had a terrible humming noise that sent a vibration through the car.
11. Fitted 25mm wheel spacers to the rears (still to do the fronts but not sure it needs it now the rears are on)

Next I want to remove and refinish the consul as it has a small crack where there is a weak area by the head unit so plan to use some form of compound to strengthen this if anyone has any suggestions?

Scott,

If it's any consolation, your 'cast off' :) has also required a little 'investment' along the way. But overall, it has been great fun to own for the last year.

scottg
30-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Scott,

If it's any consolation, your 'cast off' :) has also required a little 'investment' along the way. But overall, it has been great fun to own for the last year.

Ive seen your posts Rob and put it down to user error......
Seriously I am glad you are enjoying the car, I do miss the 6 speed gearbox but the auto is easy to live with around town.

pralognan
06-06-2014, 03:43 PM
I've tried to send you a PM but your box is full,can you delete something and make some space!

scottg
06-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Sorry I have emptied it now

AR
06-06-2014, 07:53 PM
car is looking good, just needs a nice exhaust,,,hint lol