PDA

View Full Version : No wipers or heated screen

scottg
21-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Took the car out this afternoon to have the new 7 spoke wheels and tyres fitted only to find the wipers wouldn't work. I then noticed the rear screen misting up so tried that and again nothing. Anyone tell me where I should look as I checked the fuse box but the wipers seem to have a relay not a fuse and no sign of anything marked heated screen?

NSXGB
21-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Might want to check the fuse box in the passenger footwell.

scottg
21-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Might want to check the fuse box in the passenger footwell.

Thanks will do, does one fuse cover both the wipers and the heated screen?

NSXGB
21-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks will do, does one fuse cover both the wipers and the heated screen?

Cant remember without looking but they are labelled up for your convenience.

Sudesh
22-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Took the car out this afternoon to have the new 7 spoke wheels and tyres fitted only to find the wipers wouldn't work. I then noticed the rear screen misting up so tried that and again nothing. Anyone tell me where I should look as I checked the fuse box but the wipers seem to have a relay not a fuse and no sign of anything marked heated screen?

Hi Scott,

For your info, there are 3 fuse boxes on the NSX. All these fuse boxes for RHD cars are located on passenger/left side of the car.

1. In the passenger foot well to the left, behind a small door/cover you can remove to access the fuses.
2. Fuse box under the bonnet kinda behind the passenger headlight
3. Fuse box in the engine bay, on the left side near the white coolant tank

The fuse box on the footwell has a fuse for the wipers and anothet fuse for the rear defogger.

There is also a large 40amp fuse for rear defogger in the engine bay box, and a large 40amp fuse for wiper motor in fuse box under the bonnet. I've never seen these large ones blown yet, so if they are gone, would be interested to know why? Could it be something to do with your other fault and electrical investigation?

Anyway here's some photos

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_0333_zpsdd1f6322.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_0334_zps3b72a280.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_0336_zps84955a21.jpg

Sudesh
22-12-2012, 11:30 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_0337_zps5ae6c02a.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_0338_zps623e1684.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_0339_zps293a7bf9.jpg

Sudesh
22-12-2012, 11:38 AM
For anyone else looking at these photos, the fuse layout may differ depending on the years and spec of the car, the fuse box above is from a manual 1992 UK car. But general layout and idea from above will help.

scottg
22-12-2012, 12:40 PM
For anyone else looking at these photos, the fuse layout may differ depending on the years and spec of the car, the fuse box above is from a manual 1992 UK car. But general layout and idea from above will help.

Thanks Sudesh. I have checked the fuses in the front and cabin and all ok. Took the car out while the rain has eased and also have no hazard lights so it is everything on the right hand side of the steering wheel that seams to be effected, could this be one poor connection at a multi plug or something?

Kaz-kzukNA1
22-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi, Scott.

Just a matter of interest, when did you notice this issue for the first time?
Similar timing as your parking brake/brake lamp warning lights issue or well before/after that?

While I’ll leave the diagnosis of this specific issue to others for the time being, you may want to just take some time and go though all of the electrical devices to see which one still works and which one doesn’t.
Any non-OEM devices inside the cabin? Security, audio head unit, hands free, etc, etc, etc.
With the extra info, we may be able to support you better.
You may have bad GND connection as well.

Kaz

Sudesh
22-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Got to agree with Kaz.

You seem to be having a few electrical issues now. Did the wipers and indicators etc work previously ok? Its strange that all the one side of the combination switches went dead at the same time. There are separate plugs up inside the steering column under the covers [green plugs] cant remember off the top of my head, but you may be able to see them under the knee pad too. I find it hard to believe they came loose, unless someone was in there poking around lately? Hazard control unit is in there too and sometimes aftermarket alarms are tied into here to get the flashers to work.

Was your electrical man anywhere near hear lately?

Also as Kaz mentioned, any aftermarket setup in the car?

scottg
22-12-2012, 02:20 PM
The new faults have only just occurred. The car has a Clifford alarm and a double din head unit. The alarm was on the car when I got it and head unit ungraded in my ownership but this didn't initiate either fault as the brake light issue was already present and the wipers etc just happened. I do have the auto electrics guy popping out later to see what he can find so will update the thread later. Thanks again for the help guys as ever the forum is a great asset.

scottg
22-12-2012, 03:11 PM
There is a multiplug in the drivers footwell as one fault sorted just back to the warning lights issue

Sudesh
22-12-2012, 03:38 PM
There is a multiplug in the drivers footwell as one fault sorted just back to the warning lights issue

Good stuff! That's the plug I mentioned earlier. Surprised it came loose?

scottg
22-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Good stuff! That's the plug I mentioned earlier. Surprised it came loose?
I must have caught it with my foot I imagine

Sudesh
22-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I must have caught it with my foot I imagine

Wouldn't have thought so, it should be tucked well up, out of the way, plus you should have the back plastic kick panel up tere too. [the one with the footwell light] however if someone was at these plugs in the past, they may not have put them back in the right location. Good though its sorted now.

scottg
22-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Wouldn't have thought so, it should be tucked well up, out of the way, plus you should have the back plastic kick panel up tere too. [the one with the footwell light] however if someone was at these plugs in the past, they may not have put them back in the right location. Good though its sorted now.
All looks a bit untidy Sudesh, the panel under the steering column with the whole for the ignition switch is broken and been bodged in the past so need one of those if someone has a spare out there.

Nick Graves
22-12-2012, 08:03 PM
The spring clips corrode & it can be impossible to release that (vital) panel without snapping them off.

Either your car has had a stroke, or else all on the connectors probably require unplugging, contact cleaning & routing correctly. I'm becoming more convinced that's where your problems lie.