PDA

View Full Version : Going to Japan in Spring - any NSX-related must-see?

goldtop
22-11-2012, 02:55 PM
As per the title, I'm off to Japan (mainly Tokyo) for a few weeks in Spring next year. I have no clue if there are any NSX-related things to do/see thereabouts. Anyone know. Maybe there's an NSX club in Tokyo?

Or maybe just some shopping at Mr Honda's parts department? :)

I don't speak Japanese, but my OH does.

NSXGB
22-11-2012, 03:05 PM
http://www.macs-tokyo.co.jp/

And yes, fill your suitcase with service items from the local Honda dealer...

Sudesh
22-11-2012, 05:52 PM
As per the title, I'm off to Japan (mainly Tokyo) for a few weeks in Spring next year. I have no clue if there are any NSX-related things to do/see thereabouts. Anyone know. Maybe there's an NSX club in Tokyo?

Or maybe just some shopping at Mr Honda's parts department? :)

I don't speak Japanese, but my OH does.

There is in an nsx club there and plenty of nsx related dealers etc.

Why would you bring back [I presume] NSX parts? Surely it's best to get one first lol

KSP would be where I would most like to visit in Japan

goldtop
22-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the links and pointers. Bookmarked for reading with the OH's expertise.

Why would you bring back [I presume] NSX parts? Surely it's best to get one first lol

Oi! Don't go being sensible. I was the guy who, younger and even more impulsive, bought my first ever CD ... many months before I bought a CD player to listen to it!

Not sure what NSX parts are (relative) bargains in Japan? Will be able to ship stuff back (not just luggage!)

Hoping for some £:Yen movement before I go, too. :)

Sudesh
22-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the links and pointers. Bookmarked for reading with the OH's expertise.

Oi! Don't go being sensible. I was the guy who, younger and even more impulsive, bought my first ever CD ... many months before I bought a CD player to listen to it!

Not sure what NSX parts are (relative) bargains in Japan? Will be able to ship stuff back (not just luggage!)

Doubtful the Yen will change and Honda parts will increase again next year lol try and find a VERY CHEAP damaged NSX-R NA1 preferably, bring it back and break it for parts.

I'll buy the whole interior, wheels and bumper vent shields lol

NSX-FAN
22-11-2012, 08:59 PM
http://www.is-group.jp/

Always some nice NSX's for sale there.

NSXGB
22-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I would imagine just about everything will be a bargain direct from Honda Japan.
In the last week the Yen has weakened slightly, it would be nice for us if it carried on that way for a while...

Kaz-kzukNA1
23-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Depends on which part of Tokyo you are visiting.

As you have some time before travelling, I recommend doing some homework on using the train system (over/underground) to avoid heavy traffic jam.
Never use the taxi as it’s so expensive.
If you can familiarize yourselves using the train system, it’s great for moving around the Tokyo area.
It’s so punctual that the train company will apologise even for 1min delay, yes, I wrote it correct, 1min.

There are so many places to visit so it’s hard to recommend anything without knowing which part of Tokyo you will be staying.

For Honda parts, just check the parts no. before leaving UK so that you can place the order smoothly.
It’s best if you visit the parts office rather than one of the dealership.

Unlike in UK and US, Honda genuine parts price are exactly the same everywhere in Japan unless you are working for Honda or running parts trade directly with Honda.

You can send the parts from Japan to UK as a gift for yourself from any post office or courier companies although you may struggle filling the form but your family seems to be able to speak Japanese so may be not too much of trouble???

Instead, I recommend paying for the extra luggage in advance.
Depending on the airline company you use, you can take the 1st additional luggage (23kg) for each passenger at GBP30.

So, if you are travelling as a couple, you can take two extra luggages at GBP60.

The 2nd extra luggage for each passenger will be significantly more expensive (I think it was around GBP70) so be careful but still, it could be cheaper than sending it through the post.

If you have decided on where to stay in Tokyo, just send me an email and I can recommend you some places, etc.

If you have no dietary requirement, you really should try Teppanyaki for the dinner one night.

Kaz

goldtop
23-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Excellent - thanks, Kaz. Lots of help there. 23kg for 30GBP is far cheaper than a courier!

My girlfriend has been visiting and working in Japan for years, so she knows Tokyo pretty well. Not sure where she is planning to stay - she mentioned something about 'weekly mansion' rental - whatever that means. She will be in Tohoku for part of the time, leaving me with plenty of 'bloke time' for car/guitar/electronics stuff.

I'm already being weaned on to Japanese food, including various bits of unpronouncable sushi (sea squirt!?). :)

I could wait until Spring to buy an NSX from one of these dealers in Japan, but having looked at those prices (!!!!!), it's unlikely to cost effective.

sorepaws
26-11-2012, 11:25 AM
If you like sushi/sashimi go to the Tokyo fish market early in the morning. There are small restaurants that serve the freshest ever - you might have to join the long queues as these places are really small.

As Kaz says the train system is very good - but does take a little getting used to

goldtop
26-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks, but sushi for breakfast!? Not sure about that (thinks... will I need to take a couple of kilos of muesli...?) :) We had nabe with fish a while ago, though, and that was great, so maybe a trip to the market is a good idea. Guess I need to check what fugu looks like... Seems that we may be staying in Shinbashi, and that I will need to familiarise myself with whatever the equivalent of the Circle Line is. We may hire cycles, too. In danger of going off-topic!

Will see if Prime's International section has any Japanese NSX club events listed. Might be cool to see some modified JDM cars. Hopefully nothing too bosozuko.