PDA

View Full Version : Garage humidity/temperature

Trident
12-11-2012, 05:05 PM
As I am about to refit my garage with a proper ceiling and insulation in readiness for some serious work on the car, I wondered what humidity/temperature would be ideal for the long term health of the car.
Any suggestions?
Trident

goldtop
12-11-2012, 07:19 PM
How air tight is the garage? Might be difficult to really get it under control, and even then there's some talk of too low RH being bad for other bits of the car (leather, etc). FYI, there's some info here on a storage company's site: http://www.autostore.co.uk/storage-options.html

Surely with teh alu structure of the NSX, there's no real need to go OTT with garaging?

goldnsx
12-11-2012, 07:24 PM
I've 60% RH in my garage. The garage has been made tight and I've a de-humidizer in it. Even though, it gets cold.

Trident
12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Fair comment and thanks for the link, but I am concerned about how bad all the ferrous parts are rusting. Bearing in mind the car is a 1991 model with 130K mileage.

Sudesh
12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Fair comment and thanks for the link, but I am concerned about how bad all the ferrous parts are rusting. Bearing in mind the car is a 1991 model with 130K mileage.

You will never ever get it right, refitting just the ceiling isn't going to be enough, other things like the block work of the garage, the floor, ventilation, have you a roller door and side door? are they insulated? List can go on.

It would be easier and simpler to buy a carcoon

gcon45
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM
We have shuttered walls in our underground garage with 4" of insulation, insulated electric garage door, 2 oil fired radiators and a de-humidifier.

I find that keeping it around a steady 25°C works really well for me.

Sudesh
12-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Insulated garage door is a big plus, I really need to get mine done.

gcon45
12-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah they're a great job Sudesh.

It's amazing how well they hold in the heat.

Not cheap though. I think ours was around 2k.